What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie question on spa water  (Read 1544 times)

Lakedaisy

Newbie question on spa water
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:03:33 pm »
Our spa has been on order for a couple of weeks.  We purchased a Taylor water test kit and have been reading about maintaining balanced water in preparation to spa arriving. We decided to test our home water and got these results. PH 7.5, Calcium Hardness 150, Total Alkalinity 150.  Will we need to adjust the TA down to the recommended 100-120?

Second question is about what I guess is minerals in the water.  The faucets ( and glass on the shower door) in our home require an occasional cleaning to remove (I guess) hardened mineral deposits.  I am guessing our spa will end up with mineral deposits as well.  Is there anything we can do to prevent the deposits?  Is there a test to determine what these deposits are? TIA.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie question on spa water
« on: October 29, 2006, 05:03:33 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Newbie question on spa water
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 06:31:56 pm »
Sounds like you have pretty good tap water- What type of chemical routine are you using.  Bromine tends to pull down Ph over time, so if you're using it, I'd not bother trying to lower anything that little bit.  
 Your starting water is pretty close, I'd test again after you get done adding all your chemicals.  A common thing is to overmanage your water when your spa is new.

Does your dealer offer any kind of water testing?  They may know about the water in your area and if you need to worry about mineral content.  If you get your water from the city they should also be able to send you a report on your water's mineral content.
Brewman

gturn

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 10:00:41 pm »
Our spa has been on order for a couple of weeks.  We purchased a Taylor water test kit and have been reading about maintaining balanced water in preparation to spa arriving. We decided to test our home water and got these results. PH 7.5, Calcium Hardness 150, Total Alkalinity 150.  Will we need to adjust the TA down to the recommended 100-120?

Second question is about what I guess is minerals in the water.  The faucets ( and glass on the shower door) in our home require an occasional cleaning to remove (I guess) hardened mineral deposits.  I am guessing our spa will end up with mineral deposits as well.  Is there anything we can do to prevent the deposits?  Is there a test to determine what these deposits are? TIA.
You can get a product called "Metal Gone" to put in at each water change that will stop the mineral deposits.  You should bring the Calcium up a little and the alkaline down.  Your water is not bad, it shouldn't be to hard to control the drift.

Lakedaisy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 06:20:01 am »
Thanks for your responses. I'll check these out.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 06:20:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42