What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First soak at 104  (Read 4896 times)

dkersten

Re: First soak at 104
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:08:30 pm »
Before I got my tub, my brother said "102 is the perfect temp" (he had a HS jetsetter).  I got my tub, started it at 102, and after 3 days went to 103.

I can hop in at 103 without hesitation, soak for 10-45 minutes and be fine.  

I went to 104 after the owner of the HS dealership recommended to go hotter.  He runs his at U+4 (108) and soaks 10 mins 2x a day.  The first day I tried 104, I had just washed the filters, and because I had some scum floating on the surface, I fired up the jets for a while to really filter it out good.  I forgot I had it running, and it was about 75 degrees out that day.  After I think 2 hours it shut off automatically.  That night I got in and WOW.. it was hot.. I think it was actually at about 106.. from the pumps running for so long and the cover being on and the temp outside pretty warm, it was quite hot.  I definately was done with my soak after about 10 minutes.  

The next night, I got in and it was much better, although just a tad hot.  It was cold that night.. about 40 with some rain, and my feet were cold by the time I got out, opened it up, fired up the pump and light, and got my shirt off, so they really hurt when I got in.  Then I noticed that after about a 15 minute soak I was really dizzy and a bit nauseous.  I went to the doctor a few days later for some allergy issues and asked, and was told that the hotter temps make your blood vessels in your legs dialate, and when I stand up, most of my blood drops to my legs, and my blood pressure goes down, causing the dizziness, which causes the nausea.  

I decided 104 was too hot, and went back to 103.  The problem is, when its colder out, like less than 40 and wind blowing, then 103 seems just a bit too low.  I tried going back to 104, but same issues, and I dont really like the heat.. Now I am stuck at 103 until I can figure out how to set it to 103.5.  

It is amazing how much 1 degree really is.  I grew up with a pool, and I could just dip a finger in and tell the temp perfectly every time.. one degree too high and it was really noticeable.. I didnt think that would be the case 15 degrees hotter.. but boy I can really tell right away.

I am hoping that once it is below 40 all the time I can go to 104 and not have as much problem.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 07:08:30 pm »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 07:24:22 pm »
We keep ours at 98*.....LOL We might go to 99* on occasion. We joke that it's not a "hot" tub but our "lukewarm" tub. But we tend to stay out there a while; anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hrs (when company is over).

Sounds about like us.  We keep it under 100 when we want a long soak and kick it up to 100-101 when I feel like a quick soak on a cool night.  

I prefer the 98 for about an hour.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 07:32:00 pm »
dkersten, you're more 'hardcore' than I am. I don't bother using the tub if it's windy out...especially with lower temps, as I'll just freeze my butt off trying to get in/out of the tub!

We tried 104 the other night, it was chilly out (maybe 40?), but the water was just too warm for a good LONG soak...within 20 minutes we cleared out. At 101, though, we're good to go...last night was breezy, and it felt pretty good at 102, if a tad warmer than comfortable after 30 or so minutes...I'm thinking 101 for now, and adjust the temps higher as it gets colder out...hmmm.....  :-?
RIP C-Rod

rjw

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 07:33:43 pm »
We have kept our tub at 99 since Sept.  When we first started last fall, we set the temp to 104.  This seemed too hot.  We were getting driven out from the heat too quickly (about 20-25 minutes) so we lowered the temp to 101.  This we stayed at throughout last winter.  We liked this temp because it allowed us to stay and relax in the tub longer.  We will probably be upping the temp soon, 8-) as the weather here in upstate NY is beginning to bring cooler temps.

8-)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 01:34:42 pm »
I don't know how you guys do it at those temps.  I scream at 98-99 when I get in.  The wife, on the other hand, can never get it hot enough.  It's a constant battle.

Whats your normal body temp? 65?   98 should feel pretty nuetral.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

George

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 02:58:04 pm »
I don't know how you guys do it at those temps.  I scream at 98-99 when I get in.  The wife, on the other hand, can never get it hot enough.  It's a constant battle.

Whats your normal body temp? 65?   98 should feel pretty nuetral.
I may be 98.6 inside but when it is 98 degrees outside I am hot and sweating.  I don't think we were ment to re-enter the womb at 98.6 for long periods of time once born.  I like my water 102 or 103 for about 20 min in the cold winter and in the summer at 98.  But for a long time in the water the pool at about 80 is just right.

anne

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:02:35 pm »
This "98.6 deg is a neutral temp" theme keeps coming up these last few weeks! No, 98.6 is not neutral, nor is it normal for that to feel comfortable for a really long time. Mammals are exothermic. We produce heat. We will only feel "neutral" if  we can dissipate that heat. We cannot dissipate that heat if our surroundings are as warm as us. All mammals have  "thermoneutral zone" in which it takes no additional metabolic energy to keep our body temperature normal. For a human, I think that range is about mid 70's to low 80's on average.
Dance like nobody's watching

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 09:07:21 am »
I too use to get dizzy at higher temps.  But then I found that over time I just got use to it.  The find that when I run the pumps, the mist that rises gets me dizzy after a while.  If I go in at 104 or higher I just dont run the jets and I am fine.

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 11:39:22 am »
In the summer we run ours at 99 degrees and bump it up to 101 in the winter. Typical soak time is 30 minutes with sometimes going for a hour. Tried soaking at 104 and felt a bit dizzy after 15 minutes with the wife liking it a bit cooler around 97 in summer to 99 in winter. In general she stays in a little less time than I do.

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 11:47:23 am »
As a follow up to thearm, has anyone dropped their temps down into the 80's in the middle of summer? I think it can be done if you start lowering the thermostat gradually in late spring/early summer. I know some people "like it hot" all year but when nightime lows around here are in the 80's with 90% humidity, the last thing I want to do is soak in 100 degree water! I would like to use my unit more for cooling for a couple of months than hot water therapy. Any thoughts?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 12:01:46 pm »
As a follow up to thearm, has anyone dropped their temps down into the 80's in the middle of summer? I think it can be done if you start lowering the thermostat gradually in late spring/early summer. I know some people "like it hot" all year but when nightime lows around here are in the 80's with 90% humidity, the last thing I want to do is soak in 100 degree water! I would like to use my unit more for cooling for a couple of months than hot water therapy. Any thoughts?

You will not be able to get your tub down below ambient temps, and given the insulation, circ pump, cover, and if the tub is in the sun, you will lucky to get your tub into the low 90's/high 80's.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:02:21 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 02:52:58 pm »
But consider these factors drew. 1)Here in metro Chicago, we don't have continuous heat and humidity. It can be broken up by cool nights so if a unit is used then and the heaters never go on, would not the water cool down some just by the lower temps of the evening? 2) My unit has an air blower so if I ran those for a time, isn't cool air being introduced to the water? 3) My unit will be located in a shady back yard. 4) I could leave the cover open or cracked to allow more heat to escape or is this not a good idea, considering that critters could possibly find their way into the water?

Now the unknown factor here is the fact that my unit is a TP which I'm not sure would work to my advantage or disadvantage. Since there is no insulation on the bottom of the shell, it will therefore  absorb some of the heat of the pumps counteracting my desire to cool the water down.

What are your thoughts with these additional comments?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 03:11:45 pm »
But consider these factors drew. 1)Here in metro Chicago, we don't have continuous heat and humidity. It can be broken up by cool nights so if a unit is used then and the heaters never go on, would not the water cool down some just by the lower temps of the evening? 2) My unit has an air blower so if I ran those for a time, isn't cool air being introduced to the water? 3) My unit will be located in a shady back yard. 4) I could leave the cover open or cracked to allow more heat to escape or is this not a good idea, considering that critters could possibly find their way into the water?

Now the unknown factor here is the fact that my unit is a TP which I'm not sure would work to my advantage or disadvantage. Since there is no insulation on the bottom of the shell, it will therefore  absorb some of the heat of the pumps counteracting my desire to cool the water down.

What are your thoughts with these additional comments?

Sure, all those factors will work in your favor, but I haven't come across anybody, regardless of type of tub that really could get thier tubs "cool".  Most people here complain how in the summer they are too hot.

One of the biggest contributers (I am told) is the heat given off by the pumps.  I'm not an expert on it, and you might have some luck. ( I have a pool so I've never really pursued getting the tub cool) But I have read through the yearly summer posts about cooling the tub, and haven't heard anyone yet come up with a good solution.  

I think the TP tub would give you the best advantage.  But I'm thinkning I have a hard time keeping my above ground pool below 85 in the summer. I think you're gonna be hard pressed to get the tub cool.  :) ;)   BUt who knows. LEt's think about it this winter while we soak in the snow storms, and maybe by June we'll have some new ideas?!   :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 03:15:18 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

geenosr

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 12:15:12 am »
Hello everyone,

We just got our LA Spas Allure III tub installed yesterday, and I eagerly anticipated my 1st soak all afternoon. We started at 66, and about 5 hours later, were up to 104 (the max). I got in slowly, and after I eased my body in the tub, I felt right at home, and stayed for about 15-20 minutes. I got in again last night before I went to bed, and was just as happy with the temp at 104. Today when I started to get in, the temp was reading 105, and I thought it was misreading the temp. I turned the jets on, and added the air to help cool down the tub, but it stayed firm at 105. I decided to get in, and I found there is a big difference between 104 and 105. After I was in the tub for about 10 minutes, the temp was up to 106. I was baffled, and got out quickly. I left the cover off, and turned the thermostat to 100. It stayed up at 106, but finally dropped to 103. I left the temp at 102, covered it up and checked it periodically during the afternoon. It seemed to hold the desired temp without overheating. As for the question, I like to soak about 103-104, because I believe it's more therapeutic for my aching joints at the higher temp. I usually stand up or sit on the side to cool down and then right back in to the water for more therapy! I know it's a long answer, but I believe in the higher temp for joint relief, not to sit in for long soaks!

Thanks,

Geenosr

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 12:15:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42