What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I Need Help!!  (Read 2015 times)

The_Pa._Lady

I Need Help!!
« on: October 29, 2006, 07:21:45 pm »
Can someone please tell me.  If using PH INCREASER, will that elevate the Total Alkalinity also?  I need to get the TA up, must I buy a chemical to do that?  

We did a water change yesterday, and now I am TRYING to adjust the water.  It's VERY confusing to me.  The old water tested fine, but we thought it was time for a water change before it got too cold.  We were hoping to go in tonight, but I just can't get the TA up.  PH could be a bit higher also.

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

I Need Help!!
« on: October 29, 2006, 07:21:45 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: I Need Help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 07:34:33 pm »
What is your PH? What is your alkalinity?

Use baking soda and it will raise both.  Worry about the PH for now using baking soda, unless you see the PH fluctuating don't worry about the alkalinity.

Jump in and enjoy!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 07:34:56 pm »
Yes, they will both go up.

You can also use baking soda to increase TA.

Add it, and then do not retest for at least three hours.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 08:20:58 pm »
Thanks for your quick responses.  Yes, I think I will just go in and enjoy the clean water.

PH is within the 7.2 to 7.8 range.  

Alkalinity is 80.  I just thought that was too low.

One more problem I just found is, when I check the Free Chlorine after about 20 seconds it reads 3-5, than when I look at it again perhaps 5 min later, it is 1.  How do I keep it to where it's supposed to be?

Here are my readings:    

Total Hardness   ---     500
Total Chlorine  -----    3
Free    "          ------   3-5  Then it drops to 1
PH  --------------------7-2 to  7.8
TA --------------------- 80

What do you fellas think?  Can I go in tonight?

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:24:05 pm »
How much Baking Soda to a 325 Gallon Tub?

Thanks a bunch.  It's nice to know, when someone needs help, we can always count on getting an answer.

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:29:12 pm »

Sorry to be a pest.

Vinny, you had said in previous posts that you use the Taylor K-2005 to test ( I am presently using the strips ), I went on line and all I could find is the Taylor k-2006.  I presume the 2006 is fine also.  I want to get one because the strips are too hard to read.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:31:32 pm »
For the chlorine question - the reading should be 3 PPM 20 minutes after putting the chlorine in.  It may be that the chlorine hasn't had a chance to disperse. Do you leave the jets on while putting chlorine in? That reading of 1 may be too low to be effective in killing bacteria (IMO it is but others may say differently).

At this point I would leave PH and alkalinity alone. I have put about 2 oz in my 400 gallon tub to go from a PH of 7.2 to approx 7.6 or 7.8. I would wait until your PH gets down to 7.2 then put 1 1/2 oz of baking soda to see how high it gets. Adjust from there.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:36:03 pm »
Sorry to be a pest.

Vinny, you had said in previous posts that you use the Taylor K-2005 to test ( I am presently using the strips ), I went on line and all I could find is the Taylor k-2006.  I presume the 2006 is fine also.  I want to get one because the strips are too hard to read.

Go to Doc's site:

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/test-kits.htm

The "problem" with the other kit is it is more complicated than adding drops from what I've read. I think you need to measure out some powder, then add water and then drops until it changes color.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:36:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42