What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: non-standard insulating practice  (Read 4499 times)

Slappy

non-standard insulating practice
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:15:54 pm »
I live in Ohio and it's starting to get cold here. When I picked up my used United Spa (5 person), it had no insulation at all around the tub. I asked around and no one seemed to know what to do. So here's what I did: I bought bats of r-19 fiberglass insulation, cut it into 3 foot lenght pieces and put each piece individually in plastic trash bags, sealed each bag and placed them against the tub. I also bought some 1 inch thick foam insulation and placed that against the inside of the skirting around the tub for additional wind break.
How does everyone else insulate their tub from the elements?

-Slappy McCrackin

Hot Tub Forum

non-standard insulating practice
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:15:54 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: non-standard insulating practice
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:33:43 pm »
Most tubs have insulation. Either they are fully foamed or have some layers of thin inusaltion on the shell and inside the ccabinet to trap heat given off by the motors (Call Thermal Pane, or TP Insulation). A quality tub, whether its FF or TP can operate quite efficently in the winter and stay nice and hot and not too many people have a need to add their own.

What brand of tub do you have? I had an old nordic that had No insualtion in the cabinet (only a thin layer on the underside of the shell and it was lousy. ($$$ to heat).

I have heard of folks using bats of insualtion in water proof bags (you don't want the insulation to get wet), but I cant comment on thier success.

07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 12:33:54 pm »
Slappy,
The key for you will be how well you have that stuffed along the bartop where heat can escape if not insulated. Sealing it was wise as you don't want that to get in the air lines or get wet. Lining the inside of the panels with foil backed insulation sheeting would have been a good step as well.

Say high to your bother Phil BTW (not that I know him personally).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:35:46 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tileman

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 12:38:25 pm »
Most all spas nowadays have some sort of insulation. I guess if I was in your situation with an older tub I would buy alot of that spray foam and completely cover the shell from inside the cabinet.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »
Most all spas nowadays have some sort of insulation. I guess if I was in your situation with an older tub I would buy alot of that spray foam and completely cover the shell from inside the cabinet.

I'd get rid of it.  If it's like my old tub, the electric rates jumped about $80 a month. Cheaper to go finance a nice new tub. Sorry. But it's the truth.
07 Caldera Geneva

Slappy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 12:45:26 pm »
Spatech, how did you know my brother's name was Phil?
You know my sister, Phyllis, also?
I'm a professional clown by day and an amature tubber by night. my tub is a United spa and just the fiberglass, no insulation at all. The tub had a hole in it. Thanks to my years of fiberglass experience, I was able to repair it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 01:01:07 pm »
Slappy, I appologice if my last commetn was a bit gruff.

Good luck with the tub. I also got into hot tubbing via a free tub.  Enjoy it, learn from it, but don't be shocked with the bills.

I googled united and found thier web site,  but there is very little info on the spas. I was hoping to find out how the tub was designed (full foam, or a TP, or is what you got, the way it was designed?)
07 Caldera Geneva

Slappy

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 04:52:02 pm »
I too have been to United Spa's page and was unable to acquire any info at all. I think it's a top secret tub. I can't even find a model number for this thing.
As far as I know, it has never had any form of insulation on it. The fiberglass underneath was as clean as the day it was made. The tub was four years old when I got it. After I replaced a few broken parts and patched the hole, All I can think, talk, sleep is hot tubs.
Thanks to all of you for helping answer questions. There would be alot of lost souls swimming in merky waters without this forum.

- Slappy

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 05:13:32 pm »
My first spa, some 20 something years ago had no insulation. I flipped it over, filled it up with styrofoam packing peanuts and nailed 2 sheets of thin plywood on the bottom to hold them in.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 09:59:50 pm »
Slappy, are you talking about United Spas Manufacturing? I have two neighbors on my street with United Spas.

I helped one of my neighbors haul it in their backyard since it was a curb side delivery. It had absolutely no insulation that I could see.

Do they use Phoenix molds?

http://www.unitedspamfg.com/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 10:07:14 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 11:49:31 pm »
from their testimonial section

"
DEAR NADINE:
AS A CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR FOR THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY, RELAXATION IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF RELIEVING STRESS AND MUSCLE TENSION DUE TO THE RIGORS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.  THE SPA WHICH I PURCHASED FROM "UNITED SPA'S" IS THE "CADILLAC" OF SPA'S.  AS A THERAPEUTIC AIDE MY SPA IS A TREMENDOUS ASSET TO MY PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH.

THANK YOU,

SINCERELY,
JAMES HENDERSON
CHICO, CA 95928
"

Wow
The Caddy of spas eh!

Slappy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 11:46:46 am »
Cola, I don't know about the cadillac of spas but being that it is my first and only spa, it's the nicest one I know of.

Gomboman, Yes, it is a United Spa man. The manufacturer of this spa does not like to devulge information very readily. It's like pulling teeth from a bear. I would love to find out more information on this spa. It is a 5 person tub about 8 ft by 8ft inside with a redwod skirting. We had to completely disassemble the tub in order to move it. All the skirting was rotten and falling apart. When we rebuilt it and began to reassemble the skirting, we found that all of the panels were installed upside down. The thing wasn't even built correctly.
We have since remedeed this situation and it is even more beautiful now than it was when I got it. About 80 hours went into pouring concrete and running electric and tub repairs. Now it's all done and I am enjoying the tub on a nearly nightly basis.

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 12:34:03 pm »
Hey Slappy any pics you can indulge us with???

Slappy

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 12:49:26 pm »
not as of yet. I just got a digital camera but we're having 50 mile an hour winds today. I'll have to wait maybe till tomorrow to get good pics. I'll post as soon as I figure it out.

anne

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 01:43:40 pm »
There are at least 2 United dealers in my area. I know very little about them, but they are prominent around here.  
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 01:43:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42