What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cloudy water unclear to new owner  (Read 2185 times)

Slappy

cloudy water unclear to new owner
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:13:54 pm »
long time reader, first time poster.
My water is crystal clear when the pumps are on low but when I turn the air jets on for a bit and turn them back off, the water clouds a bit but then clears again in a minute or so. Is this normal tub operation, or is there a problem?

- Slappy McCrackin

Hot Tub Forum

cloudy water unclear to new owner
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:13:54 pm »

George

Re: cloudy water unclear to new owner
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 03:17:56 pm »
long time reader, first time poster.
My water is crystal clear when the pumps are on low but when I turn the air jets on for a bit and turn them back off, the water clouds a bit but then clears again in a minute or so. Is this normal tub operation, or is there a problem?

- Slappy McCrackin
Yes, your jets mix air with the water and when you turn off the air the air bubbles will disipate.  What you are seeing is the effect of the little air bubbles in the water.  The air bubbles will disipate faster in newer clean water than in water with lots of disolved stuff in it however.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:19:39 pm by George »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:20:32 pm »
Agiatation of the water will increase opaiccity. However you'll notice, as time goes on the "Time to clear" will get longer and longer. This is a sign that your water is due for a change.

New users should get in the habit of noticing how clean fresh water reacts and clears, this will help you spot troubles down the road.   8-)

07 Caldera Geneva

Slappy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »
Thank you both for your tips. I suspected that this was the case but was unsure. Can water claifiers help these bubbles clear more quickly or am I chasing a monkey through the trees?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:47:13 pm »
Water clarifiers should only be used to clarify water that is murky at rest.  If the pumps have been off for 15 minutes or longer and your water is murky (and it's probably stinky too), sanitizer and/or shock and clarifier should be used after which the filters should be cleaned.  If your water is clear at rest, clarifier will not help the murkiness that the bubbles produce--only a water change will help at that point.  It's really not unusual to have "murky" water caused by bubbles when the jets and air are on...it actually helps to hide naked bodies unless the bodies should be seen, then it becomes a liability... ::)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 05:47:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42