What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Frog???  See last post in string???  (Read 4266 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Bromine Frog???  See last post in string???
« on: October 24, 2006, 10:04:24 am »
I just changed water and have added dry acid to bring my PH to a nice 7.6.  I would now like to switch to Dichlor because I am tired of the dadburn teeter totter PH issues I am having with Bromine.  
I am picking up some Dichlor today and thus my questions?  Is it called Dichlor or something else.  Do I also need Dichlor shock?  Do I need to change anything else as far as other managment chemicals I am currently using like:

1.  Anti foam liquid
2.  Natural Spa Enzyme

How should I dose? Do you shock with it once per week like bromine? The tub is a Sundance Maxxus which holds about 600 gallons.  It is very rarely used and I like using minimum chemicals as much as possible.  No ozonator.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:36:30 pm by Campsalot »

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Frog???  See last post in string???
« on: October 24, 2006, 10:04:24 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Dichlor question?  Please answer quick th
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:55 am »
It's called Dichlor.

Probably the dealer will have it bottled under some other name like "Leiserure Time's Chlorinating Granules." or some other name. Take a look on the ingredients and it should say  SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE DIHYDRATE …

You can use the dichlor as a shock (instructions to use it as a shock should be on the lable), or most folks use MPS to shock with.  Once again, MPS will be bottled under some brand name. Leisure time calls it "Renew" but the back lable should say "Potassium Peroxymonosulfate"

Shock, Chlorine, test strips, PH up, down, Calc adjust are the chems I have in my cabinet. I also have 303 protectant for the cover (Excellent stuff) and filter cleaning solution.  Oh yea....Mr Clean Magic Erasers.  :D ;)

I dose based on the vermonters method

I have an ozinator, so your'e milage may vary, but here's what I do:

After using the tub, I add 1 tsp per bather of Dichlor and run the pumps for 10 minutes. I test and ensure I've reached 5ppm

About once a week, I shock with MPS per the directions on the bottle.

I adjust PH, ALk and Calc on non use days, as needed, no more than once a week. (More like every 2 weeks).

Oh yea, since you are switching from Bromine to Chlorine, you're gonna need new test strips.  But your enzimes, foam stuff et all should be compatablie with eaither Dichlor or Bromine.  Are you using a Nature 2 mineral stick? I belive (not sure) that might need to be changed:)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:17:25 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

gturn

Re: Dichlor question?  Please answer quick though
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:31:35 am »
I just changed water and have added dry acid to bring my PH to a nice 7.6.  I would now like to switch to Dichlor because I am tired of the dadburn teeter totter PH issues I am having with Bromine.  
I am picking up some Dichlor today and thus my questions?  Is it called Dichlor or something else.  Do I also need Dichlor shock?  Do I need to change anything else as far as other managment chemicals I am currently using like:

1.  Anti foam liquid
2.  Natural Spa Enzyme

How should I dose? Do you shock with it once per week like bromine? The tub is a Sundance Maxxus which holds about 600 gallons.  It is very rarely used and I like using minimum chemicals as much as possible.  No ozonator.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Don't plan on Dichlor being less work or the need for ph, Alkaline, and Calcium adjustments to be any less.  You will still need to do those things, and you will now need to watch TC CC and FC and keep all those numbers level.  My sister uses Dichlor and loves it but she just gave up on trying to control ph.  And if you use the tub very little, you many need to do some dosing when not using the tub on a regular basis.

Campsalot

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 11:38:49 am »
Ok, so now I'm thinking "don't switch".  I thought it would be easier.  I don't check anything right now but PH and Bromine.  I'm quite sure that by maintaining a decent PH level everything else should fall into place.  I use to watch total alkalinity but gave up after going crazy and realizing PH levels were directly connected to it.  I use a full Taylor test kit so I can test for anything.  The question is, "why should I?"  I use to change water every 30 days because I am anal however, I have finally become sucessfull using bromine shock every week regardless of use, and 1" tabs in the gate.  This last water change was after 90 days and the water was crytsal clear.  I just did not like the chem smell.  The problem is every time I shock the PH drops.  So much that I actually have started adding a tablespoon of PH+ when I shock to maintain a PH of 7.4 to 7.6.  The tub is used maybe one to three times per month.  I use spa enzyme to control gunk rings, anti-foam for foam control, and about three 1" tabs of Bromine per seven to ten days to maintain a low 2 to 3 PPH Bromine.  

I once posted about switching and WMCall suggested Dichlor as it stabalized his PH.  

Maybe I should stay put.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:41:37 am »
If you are only using your tub 1-3 times a month, stick with bromine.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Campsalot

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 12:02:07 pm »
Yep, 1 to 3 times per month.  It is by far one of my biggest pet peaves!  $10,000 tub sitting there, keeping water warm.  We purchased it in June 05 and have used it a total of 23 times since.  Makes me NUTS!

Astropin

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:45:35 pm »
Yep, 1 to 3 times per month.  It is by far one of my biggest pet peaves!  $10,000 tub sitting there, keeping water warm.  We purchased it in June 05 and have used it a total of 23 times since.  Makes me NUTS!

Dare I ask why? Just go use it for 20 or 30 minutes before you go to bed.

Campsalot

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:41:39 pm »
Why?  Thats a damn good question.  Most of the time it's our schedules.  We come home dog tired and we have a dog and a 11 year old to take care of.  No the dog (lab) cannot go in the tub.  The 11 year old can.  Perhaps family soak time is a good idea!  I will have to consider that.  Really when we think about going in it's on a weekend evening when we want to "unwind" take in a glass of wine and 3 or 4 whiskey shooters (just joking on the whiskey)  Then it is also a weather thing.  Too windy, Brrrr.  Raining, nope. Too cold, never.   Too hot, jeez yeah especially this last summer.  Too snowy, nope not a chance cuz thats cool!
Why?  Probally because we simply do not think about it until its too late.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 03:25:49 pm »
I find it difficult to use the spa at night on a consistant basis, so I usually soak most mornings.  Its a great way to start the day.

A suggestion if you decide to stay with bromine.  Try a Frog mineral cartridge (not Nature2) and keep your bromine level at about one ppm.  Just place the cartridge on top of your filter.  Don't bother with the setup that has both the bromine and the minerals in one.  Use your normal floater (or the SD brominator).  You will use less product and your water will be kinder to your equipment (and yourself).

My experience with dichlor is my pH does NOT fluctuate much.  I generally have to adjust it about once per month because it usually drifts slowly down.  A tlbspn of baking soda gets it back to normal.

Campsalot

Re: Dichlor question?  No longer a quick repl
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 08:09:50 pm »
Okay Bromine it is.  I just added 3 teaspoons bromine powder, 4oz Enzyme, 3 one inch bromine tablets.  
Curious as to what the difference is between the "The Frog" mineral cartridge verses the bromine tablets.  All purifiers are corrosive right?  
Will I need to shock with the Bromine shock every week if I se the Frog?  Where online can I find the frog?
Ok enough frog questions.  I don't mean to make you croak.

George

Re: Dichlor question?  No longer a quick repl
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 11:01:35 am »
Okay Bromine it is.  I just added 3 teaspoons bromine powder, 4oz Enzyme, 3 one inch bromine tablets.  
Curious as to what the difference is between the "The Frog" mineral cartridge verses the bromine tablets.  All purifiers are corrosive right?  
Will I need to shock with the Bromine shock every week if I se the Frog?  Where online can I find the frog?
Ok enough frog questions.  I don't mean to make you croak.

You do mean Sodium Bromide to establish the base, don't you? (not Bromine Powder).
And you mean Monopersulfate (MPS or Non-Clorine Shock) not bromine shock, don't you? Or does the MPS mfg label their shock Bromine shock.

I agree that if you don't use the tub much, you are better off sticking with Bromine, because you can keep it sanatized with the floater without requiring adding Clorine a few times per week.  I would recommend using your tub more also.

On the ph drift, I find it doesn't drift as much once the Alkaline and Calcium levels are brought to the correct levels.  Calcium levels don't usually change once you bring them to the proper level after adding or changing water. Bromine is ph low and over time can cause ph to drop slightly, but a weekly drop without using the tub much makes me think other levels are off.  

Some peoples water seems to be more stable than others regardless of the sanatizer used so maybe you are just stuck with more ph problems than others.

Mineral Cartridges are sanatizers and can reduce the amount of Bromine or Clorine levels you use but they are not Oxidizers so they will not remove the need to shock.  Not all Mineral Cartridges are compatible with Bromine, so check if you use one.

Shocking is to Oxidize the tub, you shock with either Clorine in large doses or with a Non-Clorine Shock (MPS).  Shocking should be done once a week when using the tub.  If you don't use the tub for a week it should not need to be shocked however, there shouldn't be anything that needs Oxidizing if you don't use it.  Oxidizing is to remove Lotions, Ammonia and gunk that your Sanatizer doesn't get.  I would not recommend letting the tub go more than a week after you use it without Shocking it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 11:30:38 am by George »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Bromine Frog???  See last post in string???
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 11:29:48 am »
Hey Campsalot,
I'm shocked at how little you use your tub. Was it an impulse buy or something? After reading the excuses you made in why you don't use it much, it sounds like you shouldn't even have a hot tub.

Campsalot

Re: Bromine Frog???  See last post in string?
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 07:22:13 pm »
My wife wanted the tub.  I cannot say that I did not want it but I can say I wasn't real hot on it.
I have pointed it out that we could sell it but she says no.  What is a guy to do?

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Bromine Frog???  See last post in string?
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 07:22:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42