What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I crazy? (chem question for new tub)  (Read 3544 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Am I crazy? (chem question for new tub)
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:16:17 pm »
So the new tub is running and ready to go.  Both my dealer and now I have tested my water and it seems to be well within limits for pH, Alk, and hardness.  I'm thinking about just putting in a teaspoon of dichlor, waiting a half hour or so, and getting in.  Seems weird though, because I read about so many people adding Metal Gon, Stain and Scale, enzymes, etc.  Am I crazy to sit in a tub that's ONLY had dichlor added???
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Am I crazy? (chem question for new tub)
« on: October 24, 2006, 06:16:17 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Am I crazy? (chem question for new tub)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 06:18:42 pm »
Heck, you could have sat in the tub without adjusting anything ... at least for the first day!

Jump in and ENJOY!!!

George

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 06:40:30 pm »
So the new tub is running and ready to go.  Both my dealer and now I have tested my water and it seems to be well within limits for pH, Alk, and hardness.  I'm thinking about just putting in a teaspoon of dichlor, waiting a half hour or so, and getting in.  Seems weird though, because I read about so many people adding Metal Gon, Stain and Scale, enzymes, etc.  Am I crazy to sit in a tub that's ONLY had dichlor added???

All that stuff is to protect the plumbing, Jump in, you wouldn't hesitate getting in a bath tub full of new water would you.  You don't really need the sanatizer till after you use the tub.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:25:37 pm »
They're right!
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:26:57 pm »
Hurry go swimming

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 08:11:38 pm »
You may not need all that stuff anyway depending on your fill water chemistry and content..

There will be plenty of chances to mess up your water later..  Get in, will ya.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 08:39:48 pm »
Took your advice and went in, and it was awesome!  Stayed in for about 30 minutes playing with everything, then got out and added 1tsp of dichlor.  Checked levels about 10 minutes later and free chlorine was at 3ppm so I think I'm good.  However, I noticed my pH was at like 8!  At least I think it was -- I suck at reading the test strips.  Could either me or the dichlor have raised it from ~7.5 to 8.0?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

gturn

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:05 pm »
Took your advice and went in, and it was awesome!  Stayed in for about 30 minutes playing with everything, then got out and added 1tsp of dichlor.  Checked levels about 10 minutes later and free chlorine was at 3ppm so I think I'm good.  However, I noticed my pH was at like 8!  At least I think it was -- I suck at reading the test strips.  Could either me or the dichlor have raised it from ~7.5 to 8.0?
It is hard on a test strip to tell that close.  If your water is naturally high you should try to adjust it to the bottem of normal, because ph seems to creep up on water that is naturally high.  I would shoot for 7.2, your sanatizer will work better if your ph isn't so high.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:17:35 am »
The only issue I've heard warning about jumping in a freshly filled tub is that bacteria can be present in the garden hose  that you used to fill the tub.  It was recomeneded to me to run the water a bit to flush out the stagnent water from the hose before filing and to add some dichlor (get it up to 5 pm ) let the dichlor come down under 3ppm before using the tub.

Nah. I flushed the hose before filling it, but don't add ANYTHING. Clean fresh water.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 10:36:58 am »
With chems, less is better......forget the stain and scale, enzymes and the like.  The only chem I would increase is the dichlor.....2 tsp will get it up to 5 ppm or so.  I tried the 1 and then the 1.5 routine and found that the 2 is better.....YMMV.  Have some clarifier to use reactively and some MPS if you want to shock and swim.  A little soda ash, baking soda and dry acid for adjusting pH, TA and you should be all set.

BTW, the increase in pH you experienced is a phenomenon that happens when the water is agitated and air is added.  When I initially fill, water out of the tap is about 7.4.  After running the jets, 8+.  A little dry acid and/or shocking with MPS and the pH will bring the pH down.

At initial fill time, I always add 3 tsp. of dichlor as the tub heats.  Once up to temp....HEAD FIRST!   :o
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

anne

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 12:13:02 pm »
I use metal gone and Stain and scale only because I have really hard water. If I did not have that issue, I'd not use them either. I have learned here that less seems to be much better.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 12:13:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42