What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nature 2  (Read 4151 times)

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: Nature 2
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 01:26:55 pm »
Anne,

did you change your sanitation routine/dosage at all? N2 has a chlorine dosing method that's significantly different. Although I haven't found anyone who  truely follows it. Most folks I talk to  use the same amont of sanitizer wether they use N2 or not and simply use the N2 cartridge for additional "better" water.

I follow the N2 routine using 2 TBL of MPS before use and 3 TBL of dichlor weekly as a shock.  2 years of near pefect water with changings every 4 months.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 01:26:55 pm »

In Canada eh

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 04:29:45 pm »
Anne,

Thanks for the update,  we have considered N2 but they are not available in Canada and will have to order from Doc,  its good to know that it actually works before we buy.

Don't feel bad, you've got better beer.

Spatech t.u.o.

Too funny ;D ;D want to trade a six pack of Alexander Keiths for a N2 cartridge ;)
Bullfrog 451

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 09:49:18 pm »
anne,

Vermonter had a post in August about N2, here is the link:

[link]http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1155577409/60#60[/link]

To paraphrase I think he feels the same about N2 as he does Ozone, both can be very effective sanitizers, but the way they are implemented in hot tubs doesn't allow them to be most effective. N2 in it's current form for hot tubs seems to inhibit bacterial growth but not effectively kill bacteria. So neither of them are a replacement for a primary sanitizer.

Why do the manufacturers or dealers push the N2+MPS regimen, the answer to that is beyond me (MPS is a rather expensive product to use everyday). Increased chem sales? God I hope that's not the driver at the risk of people's health.

Now I said this not too long ago to dsegel, by using the daily MPS and weekly or twice weekly dichlor routine your water might look really good. I would be really concerned about the time in between those dichlor doses when the free chlorine level is down to zero for a day or two. You could be cultivating a bacteria or virus stew and not know it since next time you shock you clean it up.

Vermonter makes the point again. you can't measure silver ion level in your tub, or ozone level. What tells you your tub is safe? Seems like a primary sanitizer is still the most effective way to insure your tub is safe.

A combination of ozone, N2 and dichlor can be a very effective routine to insure your tub is safe and easier to maintain.

Thanks to Vermonter for making me sound smart when I regurgitate his posts.

Steve

anne

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 12:15:47 am »
Steve,

Thanks for dredging up that thread! That was the one I was referring to.

Dont get me wrong: when I refer to N2 as "voodoo" it was a joke- I think that was something that came up in that thread, too. I would not go back to using if if I did not 1) think it made a little difference last time, and 2) believe in the chemistry.

It seems that the N2 debate is two-fold. First, there is the general argument of do silver ions have a bacteriostatic effect or not and then 2) is that effect actually meaningful in a tub. So first it has to make sense "on paper" and then it has to work in the real world. I chose to do a few months with and without just for fun. Th end result was that I went from believing in the theory on paper, to being more confident (anecdotally, at least) that for me, those little silver ions are helping my chlorine do it's job. I would not, however, rely on N2 as anything other than a supplemental way to ensure healthy, more resistant water.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 12:15:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42