What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump HP and tub size.  (Read 3264 times)

Mr. Dutch

Pump HP and tub size.
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:07:12 pm »
My jacuzzi dealer offered to upgrade the 315 model (2-3 people) pump motor to a 2.5 HP at no charge for a bit more umph on the jets.  Therapy is my number one priority, so will this make a big difference?  It has been suggested that I consider a slightly larger tub for more options, but I would rather take up less space on my deck.  For those of you who read my last posting, I am now considering a Sundance spa also, in addition to Hot Spring and Bullfrog.  However, I have heard that the Bullfrog doesn't allow you to add air to the jets.  I plan on wet-testing next weekend.  I can't wait!  Thank you in advance for your advice.  This site has been great!

Hot Tub Forum

Pump HP and tub size.
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:07:12 pm »

In Canada eh

Re: Pump HP and tub size.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:40:53 pm »
Mr. Dutch,

The Bullfrog does add air to the jets, the difference is that there is no diverter valve to control the amount of air ( its always on).   If you are looking for "a little more umph" on the jets, the Bullfrog can be ordered with up to a 4.8 hp motor/pump unit as well as what ever set of jetpacks you want.

You have narrowed your search down to 4 very good tubs and would be happy with any one of them.
Bullfrog 451

tileman

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:07:19 am »
Yes, it will make a noticable difference.
 Tileman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 01:59:50 am »
The Bullfrog does add air to the jets, the difference is that there is no diverter valve to control the amount of air ( its always on).
I find that interesting. Is that true of all the jet packs? Do some have adjustments at the jet faces to adjust this, or are the jets just preset/always on full? I can see how having the jets mounted on the jet packs could make it hard to plumb in an air control, but I guess I just assumed that they had figured something out - do the jets suck air from right behind the jet packs or is there a water line AND an air line run around the top of the tub?

I wouldn't want to listen to air suciton from right behind my headrest if that's the plan, nor would I want to give up the adjustability of changing the air to the jets...

More info please....

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 06:19:50 am »
Chas and Mr. Dutch

Bullfrog tubs draw air from the equipment compartment and there is a separate air line on each jetpack seat.   Some jetpacks come with a control valve located on the jetpack.  All the jets( most are made by waterway) can still be controled by twisting them on or off just like most other tubs.  

Chas you are correct, there is a water line and an air line run around the top of the tub,the 2 inch water line connects with two unions and the air line has a 1 inch disconnect.

The jet pressure is adjustable but the amount of air is not.
Bullfrog 451

George

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 12:38:32 pm »
Chas and Mr. Dutch

Bullfrog tubs draw air from the equipment compartment and there is a separate air line on each jetpack seat.   Some jetpacks come with a control valve located on the jetpack.  All the jets( most are made by waterway) can still be controled by twisting them on or off just like most other tubs.  

Chas you are correct, there is a water line and an air line run around the top of the tub,the 2 inch water line connects with two unions and the air line has a 1 inch disconnect.

The jet pressure is adjustable but the amount of air is not.

The Bullfrog dealer told me that the air is always on and there is no control of it.  I think they have some jet packs that do not hook up to air at all, and I believe they have a jet pack that has a bunch of air holes that no water comes out of, just air.  You can turn each jet to adjust the intensity but not the air mix.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:39:19 pm by George »

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 02:20:22 pm »
George,
You have that last part confused. There are two jetpacks; rainstorm and thunderstorm, that are water only and no air. The air ports are blocked off on these two only.
Bullfrog 562

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:03:45 pm »
If a spa has been designed properly by the manufacturer, the pump has been sized to the plumbing and the jets.

So, if the dealer upsized the pump, and jets were more powerful, what could the downside be?  Would if effect warranty?  Would there be back pressure on the pump?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

In Canada eh

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 04:40:29 pm »
 Would there be back pressure on the pump?

Hottubdan,

Centifigal pumps can be completely deadheaded with little to no damage to the pump or seal.   A large amount of back pressure on the pump could prematurely wear out the mechanical seal over time.   Bullfrog warrants the tub the same with what ever pump/motor combination you choose
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 04:40:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42