What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winter cleaning of 1 filter  (Read 2358 times)

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
Winter cleaning of 1 filter
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:35:13 am »
    A filter cleaning question for everyone.  The cleaning procedure with a spare filter or set of filters seems obvious.  Swap and clean, then let dry and store for next cleaning. I am heavily considering getting a spare to make things simpler.  With only one filter, how is everyone handling this?  I haven't done a real cleaning with solution yet so not sure how long to soak and rinse but from what I have read here it looks like about a day or two time frame.

Is it fine for the spa to run with no filter in it? Any downsides if you still add your dichlor like normal?  I don't recall seeing anything about this in the manuals or reading about it anywhere if it is forbidden to do so.  My tub has automatic cycles so it would run twice a day.  I couldn't turn the power off due to cold weather where I live if there was a serious downside to running with no filter.  Just curious how everyone goes about this.  

Hot Tub Forum

Winter cleaning of 1 filter
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:35:13 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Winter cleaning of 1 filter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 06:26:38 am »
When you are cleaning your filter the spa will be fine with no filter in it. You could power it down if you wanted but it is not neccesary.
Retired

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 09:44:27 am »
Make sure you have no leaves, sand or other debris that can be sucked into pump with filter removed.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 12:12:20 pm »
Best thing to do is go to the dealer and buy another filter, it makes things so much easier.

What I find is as I lift the filter some debris leaves the filter, I have another filter handy and the circ pump opening has a screen to catch bigger debris. The other opening has no screen and I would hate for the pump to come on and suck in the crap. Again I have another filter ready to screw into place.

If there's too much stuff, I'll turn off the spa and vacuum the filter compartment to suck up as much as I can.

I'm amazed on how much stuff gets in the tub even with a cover on.

anne

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 12:43:00 pm »
Eventually you'll need to buy another filter, right? So I'd spend the money now, and you'll have two filters lasting twice as long as one single one would, and the convenience factor, and no concerns about debris getting in there while the filter is gone. I have a single filter, and that is what I opted to do.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 12:44:59 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 01:31:40 pm »
     Thanks for the replies.   I know what you are talking about as far as debris when the filter is removed, Vinny.  I just took mine out to rinse and debris was floating around from the removal. I didn't expect that much debris to loosen up.   I don't want that going through my pumps so I guess two filters is really the only way to go.  The cost and having to store one more thing will be far outweighed by the ease and not having debris go through the pumps and tubing on a monthly basis.   Like you said Anne, you will have to buy another one anyway at some point, so they will last twice as long.  Makes sense.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 01:31:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42