What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Switch to Bromine for the Winter  (Read 7641 times)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Switch to Bromine for the Winter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 03:53:13 pm »
Thanks gturn.  That floater looks good.

Does anyone have experience with Brilliance bromine?  

I used Brilliance brand bromine- what would you like to know?

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 03:53:13 pm »

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 04:39:31 pm »
I used Brilliance brand bromine- what would you like to know?

They say that their tabs are uniquely sized for their floater and that they are 100% bromine.  Are you happy with this system and do you need to use their Metal and Scale Control as well?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 07:45:54 am »
Brilliance is 100% bromine- no chlorine or anything.  The form of the product isn't really tabs- more like small chunks- like you'd get if a stick of chalk was broken.  If you do use Brilliance, I would recommend their floater- be sure it has the plastic screen wrapped around the stem- you'll see what I mean if you see their floaters on display.
 I didn't really like using bromine- I switched to dichlor and I'm quite satisfied with that, but if I was to go back to bromine I'd use Brilliance.  It's probably a little more expensive that some brands, and you can only get it at certain dealers, but I liked that it was 100% bromine.

I did use the metal and scale control, not sure if I needed to, though.  
How would someone know if they needed that stuff, I wonder?  
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 07:44:45 pm »
I've been using Brilliance brand for the last couple months...I like it fine, it's in the floater with the plastic mesh screen over the open end, it keeps my water clear (I had issues with cloudy water when I used dichlor...my schedule is too screwy to keep up consistently), but no problems with that since the switch. I HAVE found, however, that if the level of bromine gets too high, it makes my hands itch a bit. Anyone that says it can be tough to dial in the floater correctly is right, IMHO. Especially if you use the tub a bunch for awhile, then get busy elsewhere with the floater dialed too high.
In any case....I switched because of general curiosity...to see if bromine would fit our lifestyle better, and so far, it has. Switch if you'd like, feel free to ask questions, and best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 11:12:09 pm »
Exactly the same problem I had.  Couldn't get that darn floater dialed in right.  One day the bromine reading woudl be fine, the next day off the charts.  Then other days, no reading at all.   That's one reason I switched to chlorine.
The other was I was constantly battling Ph and alk drift.  
Brewman

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 08:48:11 am »
I use bromine with a floater and tabs and it couldn't be easier. Just top off the tabs every two weeks and you're good. much more convenient too, especially if you are going to be away for several days or a week. The water is crystal clear and no chlorine odor. I can't really see any downside.
Bullfrog 562

gturn

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 10:20:28 am »
Exactly the same problem I had.  Couldn't get that darn floater dialed in right.  One day the bromine reading woudl be fine, the next day off the charts.  Then other days, no reading at all.   That's one reason I switched to chlorine.
The other was I was constantly battling Ph and alk drift.  

I use Bromine in a floater and havn't had problems with jumps in the levels, I keep the floater set quite low 1-3ppm, when I shock weekly it boosts back up.  That is one nice thing about Bromine, when the Bromine sanatizes it turns to Bromite which is turned back into Bromine with a Non-clorine shock or with the Clorine in the Tablets.  I have a 24hr Ozonator which helps.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 10:28:52 am »
Thanks all.  

I figure if I have any real problems with bromine, I can switch back to dichlor at my next water change (planned for late November or early December).  I will switch to bromine ASAP and see if I can get things dialed in correctly before then.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 10:28:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42