What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cold Weather: Best tips for the trek indoors?  (Read 11388 times)

anne

Re: Cold Weather: Best tips for the trek indoors?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 03:50:58 am »

Also, my DH swears that using the hot tub in cold weather gives him a headache. His ears, cheeks and nose are so cold--like a ice cream headache! I'm wondering if it because we set the tub to only 100.

I used to run a lot no matter what the weather, and if my ears were cold I got NASTY headaches. I started using a ski-type fuzzy head band, and all was well.  
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 03:50:58 am »

Astropin

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 11:25:33 am »
The cooler the water the worse it is. At 100º it does feel a little cold but at 102º it doesn't feel so bad.

Hmmmm, we only keep our tub at 98* all winter. Here in Michigan the actuall temp. can dip below 0* especially at night. We go out all the time at that temp, with kids and all. We do wear the headbands to keep the ears warm. Getting out is no problem at all...for anyone....it's getting in that is the harder part. At the temp we keep the water we can stay out there a long time and we get all warm and toasty after a while so getting out is no big deal. It's about 15ft to get to the door and we keep the towels in the house. One thing though....it is rarely windy on our deck.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 11:38:21 am »
Are the kids dunking thier heads into the water? If they are, I'd have them stop. This could be the reason for the headaches/ear aches. Plus it's a nasty thing to do as far as water quality is concerend.  A small cooler brought out with you,  filled with robes fresh from the dryer would be a big help too.  Sure, it's not the easiest thing to do, but it's not THAT heavy, and if works, then it's worth the little inconvience.  ;) :) :D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:39:52 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 11:49:35 am »
no, no none is dunking their heads. It was my husband who got the headache.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 11:56:55 am »
I like the headband idea for the ears.  

Much classier yet perhaps  just as functional as a shower cap.  

Slip-on slippers and headbands it is!

Now I just need to get a couple extra robes and a cooler with wheels and a long handle! :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 09:44:44 pm »
I was also getting the headaches in the real cold weather until I started wearing a ski hat. It also helps keep your hair dry, I just tuck it up under the cap and it really does seem to keep you from getting that brain freeze!  

I have had great luck with heating fabric bags filled with rice, flax seed and herbs in the microwave and throwing them into the towels in a cooler. The towels are nice and warm and they smell really great. I throw my robe in there too.

I love coming in from the tub and sitting by a nice fire ...it makes the cold weather so much more enjoyable!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 10:26:55 pm »
This thread is making me appreciate that "cold" to me, even in the dead of winter, is generally above 35 deg!!! 8-)
Dance like nobody's watching

dkersten

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 01:58:18 pm »
I am envisioning a cabinet built into the end of my deck next to the tub that contains a large metal cooler, with an electric heater element in it that I can store towels in and turn on the heater as we get in to the tub, and turn it off after we are done.. I ran a 120volt 15 amp circuit out to my tub when I wired the 220v, so I have the power there already.. I picked up some heated rubber mats for putting under a desk once, and they only draw about 100 watts, but are a little slow to warm up.. they get to about 120-130 degrees and can really warm up your feet.. I think these might be the way to go.. put a weatherproof switch outside the box and just flip it on when I get in the tub.. hmm.. I will have to think more about that.. I think i can make it work nicely.

Right now, I have about an 18 foot deck to traverse to get to the porch, which is weatherproof but not totally insulated yet.  The porch is decked with redwood at this point, with a concrete floor underneath it, so I can drip all I want there and it is no problem.  I am planning a partition in the corner with a bench for changing so that I dont have to go inside to change out of the swim suits.  This wont really work this winter as the porch is not insulated and would cost a fortune to heat right now.  I cant exactly leave a wet suit hanging in below freezing conditions as it would be quite painful to put on the next day..

The walk to the porch is not terribly comfortable when you are wet and it is 20 degrees out with a good wind.  Not so bad once you have a towel around you, but I can definately see that I need to make some adjustments to the procedure.  Taking towels out to the tub from the porch is an issue because they get cold and if its raining or snowing they get cold and wet..

I keep the tub at 103 right now, wish it had a 103.5 setting as 104 is just a tad too hot for comfort.  103 is great because I can jump right in without any hesitation at all.  When its really cold though I still feel chilled for a few minutes, and I might have to look into a winter hat for the ears and head.. the wind really gets whipped into that corner of my yard and even though its only gotten down to about 20 or 25 the last few days, its already an issue..

Slippers are on my list and I think this weekend I am gonna go find a pair.  I want something that I can get wet like a flip-flop or one of those silicone sandals everyone is wearing now, but I keep thinking about how its gonna be with 6 or more inches of snow on the deck.. I guess I will just get a pair and see how it works out..

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 02:08:32 pm »
We don't have a spa cover lifter since the spa is built flush with the deck. So we end up the two of us hauling the cover onto the spa and trying not to fall in with freezing temps!

gturn

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 02:48:49 pm »
The whole family tried the tub last night. It was 30 degrees and the tub is set to 100 (we have small kids and so I'm leery of setting it hotter than that). Getting in to the tub was great, but getting out is miserable! We only have to go about 20 feet, but dripping wet and in the wind---ugh! Any tips? We don't have a towel/robe warmer thing (we'd have to lug it out and back in each time anyway). Do we grin and bear it?

Also, my DH swears that using the hot tub in cold weather gives him a headache. His ears, cheeks and nose are so cold--like a ice cream headache! I'm wondering if it because we set the tub to only 100.
I have two different suits, one is 100% cotton and that one is cold when you get out and it doesn't help to rub it with the towel it stays wet.  The other suit is 95% polyester and the water comes out with the towel easy and it is not as cold once most of the water is out.  I also have a big bath robe and slippers.  I think the key is 102+, I keep mine at 102 and after 15-20 minutes, getting out in 30 degrees you don't feel the cold as much, just dry quick and wrap the towel around your suit and put on the bath robe and slippers. Then close up the lid and go in.  I feel your pain if you have to put chemicals in after using the tub while you are still wet and then wait for the pumps to run a while.  I use a Bromine floater so I don't have that problem.  I would raise the temp to 102 and keep an eye on the kids, they should be ok unless they stay in to long, but if it is real cold out, I would think they could stay in longer than when it is warm.  If they get to warm after 15 min send them running for the house.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:52:15 pm by gturn »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 02:48:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42