What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Prodigy vs Tiger River Sumatra  (Read 6322 times)

cuinohio

HS Prodigy vs Tiger River Sumatra
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:00:43 pm »
Looking for good hydrotherapy.  Husband and I have sore muscles all the time.  Tried both models at the HS dealer, along w/some others.  Initally thought the Sumatra was the best value i.e. $4500 cause the jets seemed decent.  but now Im wondering if its better in the long run to spend more  about $2K more for stronger jets and better spa in general.  Are there many advantages to getting the Prodigy instead?  p.s. tried the jettsetter too and I really don't think the lounge works for me.

Hot Tub Forum

HS Prodigy vs Tiger River Sumatra
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:00:43 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: HS Prodigy vs Tiger River Sumatra
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 12:06:46 pm »
Since you mentioned Sumatra and then jumped to the Prodigy, I'm going to confuse you more and say, stick with the Tiger River line, and try the Caspian.  ;)

It's the TR equivlent of the Prodigy, but more pumps, jets and offers the foot dome.
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 12:21:17 pm »
We have sold many, many Prodigy spas over the years to various medical facilities and rehab centers in East Texas, 13 of them as far as I know.

It is very popular because of the layout, which is very wide open with very minimal sculpting in the seats.  Patients who have had joint replacement like being able to stretch out, move around, and do their hydrotherapy excercises without banging into a lot of underwater obstacles.

We probably sell about 8 Prodigies for every 1 Sumatran.  Either one of them will pretty much last you forever and do what you need it to do. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 12:32:05 pm »
Caspian would be the equivalent of the Vanguard in the HS line.

I prefer the Prodigy over the Sumatran because there are more available jet seats and varieties, but both are great values.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:59:29 pm »
Caspian would be the equivalent of the Vanguard in the HS line.

I prefer the Prodigy over the Sumatran because there are more available jet seats and varieties, but both are great values.

You think? I didn't think so, as the Vanguard was bigger, deeper, and has the moto. The prodigy struck me as more similliar to the Caspian. But the Vanguard has it's similarites for sure.  Anyhow, I just thought there were more options between the Sumatra or Prodigy.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Prodegy.
07 Caldera Geneva

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:48:27 pm »
If you want another brand to try (and I'm not a dealer), check out the Artesian line. They have a unit called the Santa Cruz which seats 3 but has 2 pumps supplying 30 jets including a lounger with 3 for the neck, 6 for back, 4 for the legs and 2 sets of foot jets (for different heights). Then 2 more seats both with a pair of calf jets. I think you'll find Artesian to be a little less expensive than the brands previously mentioned and equipped with more jets! Artesian has a good reputation too!

shabba34

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 02:09:12 pm »
If you want another brand to try (and I'm not a dealer), check out the Artesian line. They have a unit called the Santa Cruz which seats 3 but has 2 pumps supplying 30 jets including a lounger with 3 for the neck, 6 for back, 4 for the legs and 2 sets of foot jets (for different heights). Then 2 more seats both with a pair of calf jets. I think you'll find Artesian to be a little less expensive than the brands previously mentioned and equipped with more jets! Artesian has a good reputation too!
Maybe you want to check out these as well...........................................................          Arctic Spas - Beachcomber Spas - Barefoot Spas
Catalina Spas
Cal Spas - Caldera Spas - Clearwater Spas
Coast Spas - Dimension One Spas -
Dynasty Spas - Gulf Coast Spas - Garden Leisure Spas
Hawkeye Spas - Hot Spot Spas - Hydro Spas - Details
Hot Spring Spas - Jacuzzi Hot Tubs
LA Spas
Master Spas - Phoenix Spas
Reflections Spas
Sundance Spas
Solana Spa - Tiger River Spas -
Vita Spa - Manufacturer Direct
Spas Direct
Thermospas -

Artesian Spas
Atera AnyTemp Spas
Bradford Spas
Charisma Spas
Easy Life Spas
Great Lakes Spas
Hydropool Spas
Jacuzzi Whirlpool
PDC Spas
Royal Spas
Saratoga Spas
Sonoma Spas
Sunbelt Spas
Affordable Spas
Apollo Spas
Aries Spas
Baja Spas
BullFrog Spas
Comfort Line
 Products
Coleman Spas
Emerald Spas
Galaxy Aquatics Inc
Gatsby Spas
Honey Tubs
Morgan Spas
Nordic Hot Tubs
North West Spas
QCA Spas
Sedona Spas
Soft Tub
Sweetwater Spas       Aber Hot Tub Mfg
Action Spas Inc
Creative Design
Diamante Spas
Diamondback Spas
Freeflow Spas
Honey Spas
Hydro Wave Spas
Millennium Spas
Marquis Spas
Moon Water Spas
Quantum Products
Rocky Mountain Spas
Southland Spa
Spas and Such 4U
Sunrise Spas
Viking Spas      Almost Heaven Tubs
Arizona Pacific Spas
Astra Spas
Adventure Spas
Blueridge Spas
BPS Spas
Canadian Hot Tubs
Crestline Spas
Dolphin Spas
Great Northern
Holiday Spas
Hydro-Health Spas
Shore Line Leisure
Streamline Mfg
Sunset Spas
Waters Edge Spas  ;)

To answer the original posters ???  The prodigy will come standard with cd ozone, no by-pass filtration, changing color led lights, more jet variety, more shell color options, it's bigger, dual controls, etc...  Depends on your height but IMO it's worth the money if it wet tested to your liking better.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 02:18:34 pm by pkud »

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 02:15:01 pm »
Another option in the Hot Springs family is the Tiger River Bengal.  Although my wife doesn't like the one side of the lounger, it's dual sided so you can sit with your back in front of the jetstream jet.  She sits up higher in that seat, so she likes it.  The jetting is similar to the Prodigy with the exception of the soothing seven (I think) and in fact the Bengal adds two neck jets to the 10 smaller jet package in the Prodigy.  

I sat in a Prodigy and if you're over 6 feet tall, you may have issues sitting too far out of the water.

BTW, the water clarity has been outstanding.  Even though it doesn't have the 100% no bypass filtration, the water has been perfect through 3 weeks of ownership.  It's kind of boring.  I keep expecting to go out to the tub and see some cloudy water, but it just hasn't happened.

Tiger River is a great route to go if you want to spend a little less, and still get a great tub.  In Canada it was very similar price to the Prodigy.

Mark

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:21:48 pm »
Mark,

You jinxed it now for sure.

Get ready to do a water change: one month is coming up soon.

I have found that all new owners should do a one-time water change at that point.

Even though your spa is doing well and the water looks great, I would still advise it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, BTW.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 04:45:12 pm »
Sorry to hijack this thread, but at what TDS is it recommended to change water?
I've had my spa operating for 3 weeks now, and at the 16 day mark when the water was tested, TDS was at 650.

On pace for Chas's law?

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 10:13:24 pm »
Cg, you have a ways to go. Spa can not take any more at about 2000-2500. Some will say 1500.

As far as the spa, wet test should be the deciding factor, but it'll probably be the prodigy.

Last few months, that's all I see for trade-ins are Prodigys. We've got alot of 'em out there. Most we see traded in are 10-12+ years old. It amazes me how people hold on to these things. It's like an old friend they can't give up.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 10:34:27 pm »
We have had out Prodigy for several months now, and I can't begin to tell you how great it is.  My husband is 6 ft tall and I am 5' 8" and we both fit in the seats without being out of the water.  It is usually only the 2 of us so we can stretch our legs out and do some exercising for the legs.  He has had both knees replaced in January, and I have arthritis and scoliosis of the spine.  So we both get plenty of use out of our Prodigy, we use it just about every night for about one hr. Temp is set at 98 degrees.  It sure has helped our aches and pains.  In fact we just got out about an hour ago, the temp. outside is 30 degrees, but we were toasty warm.  The jets can be set the way you like them.  The temp. stays exactly where you set it, even in cold weather, and our electric bill has only gone up about $10.00 a month.  It's well worth it.  I can't say enough good things about the Prodigy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 10:34:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42