What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I just have to ask ...  (Read 4106 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
I just have to ask ...
« on: October 08, 2006, 06:18:39 pm »
... Does anyone have their tub on a 2 foot high "slab"? If you do, how much did it cost to do?

A neighbor got a hot tub and it's in the air on concrete. My wife said she believes it's mostly cinder blocks. I can't see the lines of any cinder blocks from my backyard ... maybe binoculars will do the trick ... I'll wait until they use the tub, it'll freak them out!

It looks like they'll surround it by expanding their deck.

It never even occured to me to raise the tub that high by putting it on concrete.

Hot Tub Forum

I just have to ask ...
« on: October 08, 2006, 06:18:39 pm »

The_Pa._Lady

Re: I just have to ask ...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:25:14 pm »
Why would anyone in their right mind even want something so high, you would need a ladder to get in.  Vinny, can't you take a picture of it and post it?  That has to look ridiculous.  

Just my opinion!!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:03:38 am »
If your trying to get it up to deck level to build access to it from a deck instead of the ground it's a great ides. But I would hope they used filler of some sort.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:52:55 am »
Why would anyone in their right mind even want something so high, you would need a ladder to get in.  Vinny, can't you take a picture of it and post it?  That has to look ridiculous.  

Just my opinion!!

Well, I won't take a picture of a neighbor's place ... to me it's not right.

What Tman said is I believe is what's happening, they raised their slab to deck level, I too had my tub up in the air for about 3 weeks as I finished off the deck, but instead of solid concrete I used a deck.

I was curious about having a tub that high on concrete vs a deck, I would think that their dealer (assuming they went that route) could have given them better advice ... it must have cost a fortune to build.

And I agree that I hope they filled it in.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:09:39 am »
That's a lot of concrete.

You would think that building a wooden deck/platform for the hot tub would have been more economical (or at least used cinderblocks).

I'm sure you'll find your way over to their house being that you both have a hot tub (seems only natural that there will be a conversation or two where you guys start talking about hot tubs).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

tileman

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 07:43:25 pm »
 Vinny, I am very familar with subfloors due to my job as a tile and marble setter. That is way to thick of a slab. I say this because over a certain thickness you actually weaken the concrete. Unless they used steel foundation beams for support they will definitely have alot of problems. Heck, a basement slab is only 12'' max for most homes. More is not always better, especially when dealing with poorly foundationed concrete. I would love to know more it if you hear or see anything.

badval

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 12:44:50 am »
IT's probably block w/ a 4-6" max concrete slab poured over - kind of like the foundation for a slab-built house.  Set the forms for it to cover the block to give it a monolithic look

============
||BBBBBBBBBB||
||BBBBBBBBBB||

^^^Fancy cross section diagram ^^^   ;)

badval

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:56:21 am »
BTW, 8x8' @ 24" thick would take about 5 yards of concrete (~1/2 of a standard mixer truck) - enough to do a 20 x 20' 4" pad.  I can't see a contractor doing this w/o offering much better solutions for project cost and ease of installation.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 11:17:54 am »
It sounds like they poured a small foundation around the perimeter, filled the inside with gravel and poured a slab on top.  Seems solid.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 11:53:52 am »
ya mean kinda like dis?

dkersten

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 04:06:30 pm »
I built a little "mini deck" as a platform for mine.. used 9 pier blocks and built it out of 2x8 treated on 16" centers and decked it with 5/4 6" treated decking where the hot tub sits, and composite (which I used on my deck) around it and to trim it off.  I raised it so the top is 14" above my deck.  If I hadnt, then I would have had to buy some kind of railing to use to get in.. now I use the side of the tub as a "handrail" when I climb down into it.. works very nicely.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 04:41:10 pm »
A thought of a 8'x8' (or 7'x7') concrete block 2' high seems out of place and expensive. I guess it may be a viable alternative but would have thought a deck is easier and cheaper.

I built a deck for the tub with 6 concrete footings for it and used 6x6's as uprights and all 2x10's for the framing. As I said, I wouldn't have thought of making something that tall out of concrete.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 04:41:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42