What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for spa dealers???  (Read 2689 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Question for spa dealers???
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:49:05 pm »
Does anyone know if any tub maker has ever offered or considered offering:

A tub that has a built in drain pump?

My brother mentioned to me yesterday....

He said "hell I dont mess with all that chemical nightmare....I just thrown in the tablet float and dump my water once a  month".

I notice tons of questions on this message board about chemicals/foam/ect......

Then he said...."Ya know alot of people dont like messing with the chemicals either and just dump their water......so why dont the tub makers offer an option where it is basically "one button" to dump the water. It would be a hose that sticks out and a built in sump pump with a button near the control unit......hell these tubs are full of pumps anyway....whats one more gonna hurt?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:51:43 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

Question for spa dealers???
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:49:05 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Question for spa dealers???
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:05:24 pm »
Hydropool has a system  where you plug the skimmer  and then use pump # 2 to drain your spa  through the floor drain which will completly drain your tub

Bullfrog also has an attachment called the power drain  where it attaches to the union end of the last seat so you can then drain your spa on hi speed with 1"1/2 run flat hose
Thats all I can think of for now

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:58:01 pm »
HotSpring has a gravity system - with the drain fitting inside on the very bottom of the floor, and outside where you don't have to open the motor compartment to get to it.

It is not powered, but it is easy:
Shut off power.
Open the drain.

Then when it is done draining, you:
Close the drain
Refill and repower spa.

May not be fast, but this way there is no risk of running an expensive pump dry and doing costly damage.

If you want pure speed without much fuss, buy a pool drainer pump, and set it up with backwash hose. BW hose folds flat when not in use, and the pool drainer pump will empty a 500 gallon tub in minutes.

A plus for this system is that if you have a HotSpring, you can drain it down real close to the bottom, and then open the built-in drain as you rinse or flush the spa.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 12:35:22 pm »
A built in sump pump sounds interesting.  Just tossing idea's out, but in addition to the dedicated sump pump, also a retractable hose: Open a cover and pull out 15 feet of hose that is connected to the pump. Hit   a button and it drains. have the hose fully retractable.

Dumpig the water when ever it gets nasty is quick and easy, but not awlays an option for folks who have tubs in freezing conditions. Learning the basics of water care is madatory for folks who want to soak in January in the snow.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 01:03:11 pm »
Just changed my water this weekend.  It was in the 30's when I started and had a high of about 45.  By the time I powered up the tub it was about noon (540 gals).  The water was 52 degrees.  By about 9pm, we had the tub up to 92.  It was fine for me, but the wife screamed "this is freezing" and she gave up.  Time and energy (the kind that plugs into the wall) are the only thing that stops me from doing it once a week.  There is nothing like fresh water!  Can't wait to see the next electric bill, lol.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 02:02:35 pm »
I have a question as so many folks are concerned with cost and reliability would'nt something like this just add to both, while offering a tool that most people would use 3 to 4 times a year. I appreciate the thought and idea but it seems like the cost would out weigh the benefit.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »
I have a question as so many folks are concerned with cost and reliability would'nt something like this just add to both, while offering a tool that most people would use 3 to 4 times a year. I appreciate the thought and idea but it seems like the cost would out weigh the benefit.

Great point. Many spas have external drains which are nice and convenient but to take it a step further and have a pump dedicated to removing the water 3 times/yr or even plumbing the existing pumps to do so somehow seems more than you'd need but to each his own. The reality is, everything costs money. For anyone who likes the idea of a pump to pump out the water, I wonder how they'd feel if that was purely an option and would they pay for it. Somehow when it's a "standard item" people forget that it costs extra.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:15:21 pm »
hey guys thanks for some great input.

i currently have a pool company service my chems
once a week.

but I am seriously considering dropping that cost and
just having a bromine tablet float and dumping my water
every month. In Dallas, Texas the weather isn't really a factor.

i would purchase an option if offered of a one button
automatic built in drain pump. It would come with a large
version hose and would be a matter of pushing 1 button
and the tub would drain.

I do think this option should include tiny drain holes or something
that would also drain almost every speck of water from seats and
the very bottom of the tub. The hell with those left over puddles!

I think people that are having chem problems are dumping
their tubs more often than you think to correct water problems.

But I agree this option would not be for everybody...and most
wouldn't purchase it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:48:23 pm by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 06:15:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42