What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: yellowing plastic  (Read 4267 times)

Cgy_Spa

yellowing plastic
« on: October 01, 2006, 08:41:32 pm »
Hoping that someone can help me out here...........

My spa has been up and running for 9 days now.  One of the air controls, the diverter, and two jets are starting to yellow.  They are gray plastic, and this is on a Hot Spot Sorrento.  Water parameters look ok (test strips)  Is this from the ozone, closing the cover too soon after shocking (I have only shocked once) ??

Any help is appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

yellowing plastic
« on: October 01, 2006, 08:41:32 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: yellowing plastic
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 08:50:00 pm »
I'm going to take a wild guess, but I wouldn't expect any of those possible causes to occur after 9 days. Maube a problem happened in the plastic molding process. Ask your dealer, what he thinks, or one of the HS dealers might come along with a comment soon.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 02:17:19 am »
The plastic has not gotten notably worse, but I went in anyway today to talk to my dealer, and have the water tested.

The odd thing is, everything tested good.
Ph 7.6
Calcium 200
TDS 675
Alk 128
Bromine 9ppm  (I had shocked this morning)

He could not think of anything that could be causing the yellow plastic, and said that if it progresses, or bothers me to cal the service manager and he'll replace the components. (The "salesman" I bought the tub from is the General Manager)

OK, that satisfies me, but then I'm in the tub tonight and the wife tells me that her and my daughters white suits are yelowing as well!

Could this be a faulty or over active Ozone?  I really cannot think of anything else, except to drain/refill and throw something white in there afterward........

No one has ever seen anything like this before?

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:30:11 am »
Your post has jogged my memory.  I am expecting delivery of my 06 Geneva next weekend.  It is a wet floor model and when wet testing I thought I noticed one of the gray diverter valves looking a bit yellow as well.  I have no idea the reason although I thought the chlorine probably caused it.  Either way I am curious what repsponses you are given and will call the dealer and ask about it.  I will let you know what she says.

Maybe it's the bromine?  I plan on using dichlor (chlorine) and will ask the dealer what they used.

Marc
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 07:31:31 am by gores95 »

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 12:13:02 pm »
It's Bromine granuals, not a floater.
Actually, it's 85% dichlor, 15% Bromine  (SpaGuard brand)

I think I'll pick up some 100% Dichlor (routine is the same) and buy a new white suit for a test.........

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:43:22 pm »
When I was using bromine, much of the plastic on my spa got a tan colored stain.
It was never there when I was using Baqua- it started appear shortly after we switched to Bromine.  It was pretty easy to scrub off with a scrunge pad and spa surface cleaner.  
 Now that we're using dichlor, the tan staining is gone.  
Maybe you're experiencing the same thing as I did.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 12:43:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42