What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another Newbie Question - How Not to Float?  (Read 23366 times)

GoldenGirl

Another Newbie Question - How Not to Float?
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:43:38 am »
My husband and I just started shopping for a hot tub. I've been reading here and on several other boards and thankfully had a little bit of info with me when we went and wet tested a few last night.  Well, apparently I have never been in a "spa" before - only a hot tub (like what you'd find at a hotel).  I was a bit disillusioned when I got in and found 1) the water level was up to my chin (I'm 5'3" and have a short torso) and 2) all I did was float!  I had to hang on for dear life in the corner when the jets were on so sthat I didn't float out to the middle! I had in my mind I wanted a lounger with all those great jets down it, but now I realize that if I'm floating it doesn't matter if there is a chair or a lounger!
So....will I have this problem in all models, or do you think there are models out there for us shorties???  My husband had no problem at all; he was lounging and enjoying the massage the whole time I was fighting to stay in one spot!
 :-[
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:44:58 am by GoldenGirl »

Hot Tub Forum

Another Newbie Question - How Not to Float?
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:43:38 am »

Altazi

• 3 seats, 155hp jet pump - anything BUT relaxing!
Re: Another Newbie Question - How Not to Float?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 02:22:06 am »
Well, if the volume of the portion of your body that you immerse in water is less dense than the volume of water you displace, you will float.  That's just the physics of buoyancy.  If you have a high proportion of muscle tissue, you will tend to sink, as the muscle tissue is more dense than water.  If you tend towards the other direction, you will tend to float more easily.  In the water, my wife floats like a bobber, and I sink like a stone.

There's not much you can do about your height, or short torso, other than try to find a spa with seats that fit you.  You could try a weighted booster cushion, such as this:

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC1048&Category_Code=Accessories

If your weight in the water is too small, you may not be able to sit in front of the really strong jets.  You might experiment by holding a weight and see how much it takes to make you sink properly, and remain in place.  Perhaps some SCUBA belt weights might help. . .

Regards,

Altazi
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 02:29:47 am by Altazi »

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:38:42 am »
Goldengirl, that's the reason you wet test. Not all tubs are the same depth and not all seats in a given tub are the same height. My tub has 3 different seat heights and two different seat back angles. Every tub is different, you just have too find one that fits both you and your husband...keep looking, it's out there.
Bullfrog 562

GoldenGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:01:00 am »
Thanks so much.  Yes, I do realize that muscle weighs more than fat, so I have yet another reason to increase my exercise routine!  In the meantime, guess we will keep looking. We have a friend that has the same 3-person model we think we want, so we are going over one evening and wet test that one.  I'm hoping that I can sit in it with no problems.  Someone else sent me a link to a place where I can purchase a weighted lapbelt - guess there are others with the same problem!
 :)

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:12:41 am »
Goldengirl,

We experienced the same problem finding a tub with a lounger that was designed for people under 6' (my wife and I are both right at 5'8".)

Coleman has a tub (can't recall the series) that my wife and I both fit very well in the lounger, but we did not like the rest of the seats as well as other brands.

Keep wet testing and you will find something that both you and your husband will love.  

Happy soaking,
Jr

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:46:23 pm »
If you have a Caldera dealer in your area, you might want to give them a try.  Many of the models have a foot ridge on the bottom that help you stay put.   I hadn't given much thought to that concept until we tried a spa w/ a foot dome.  I'm tall but I still tended to float out of seats in Hot Spring spas when jets were on.   Having a ledge/dome for your feet to grip helps hold you in place.   My 13 yo daughter' is 5'3" and she was comfortable in the Caldera we tested (Elation).  Also I think someone mentioned a cushion.. the dealer recommeded one of those for my 8 yo.   Good luck.

Bama

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 03:00:38 pm »
Welcome to my world!!
Tubbing is no fun if your muscles are stressed holding yourself down!
There are many tubs I did not try, so I can only speak of the one that worked for me,
LA Spa.  It seems the angle of the seats and lounger help me to stay submerged.  I'm sure there are several other tubs that do the same.
By all means, don't buy a tub without wet testing.
Try researching the depth of each tub at:
www.americastophottubs.com
Hope this helps a bit.
Bama

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:05:10 pm »
Try a weighted scuba dive belt..

Mark

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 05:37:52 pm »
I am 6 foot and i was floting out of some

wet test wet test wet test und you will find the right one for you.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 09:19:35 pm »
Foot dome was what my wife found helped her not float. So we have a foot dome.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 09:31:33 pm »
Foot dome was what my wife found helped her not float. So we have a foot dome.

Sledman, what spa did you end up purchasing? I bet you got a hell of a deal.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 07:58:55 am »
 :)

« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 08:13:30 am by sledjunkie »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 02:48:59 pm »
It's impossible for us to say which tub will work best for you.   You'll just need to keep wet testing. I'm confident that there is something out there that you will find to your satisfaction.

I've seen spa booster seats.  I'd rather find a spa that "fit" than to come up with some make-shift solution.  

My tub has a "hot seat" with shoulder jets.  The way the shoulder jets are positioned it would be impossible to float too much on account you have to almost slide your head back into the seat (see photo below).

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 04:04:59 pm »
Goldengirl, that's the reason you wet test. Not all tubs are the same depth and not all seats in a given tub are the same height. My tub has 3 different seat heights and two different seat back angles. Every tub is different, you just have too find one that fits both you and your husband...keep looking, it's out there.

Well put. If your looking for a spa with a lounge , look for one where the seat is below the knees. Also, when wet testing, you usually have to wear a suit. Many times your skin will hold you in place more than a suit will.

[glow]Great looking kids TN[/glow]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 04:10:52 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 11:38:44 pm »
Great picture TN__HOT_TUB. I'm out numbered just like you.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 11:38:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42