What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical questions (bromine sunpurity)  (Read 3789 times)

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
Chemical questions (bromine sunpurity)
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:59:10 pm »
Woo-hoo!  Our Optima was delivered today!  Unfortunately... no hot water yet as our electrician is not available for a few days.    :(

When we purchased I told the dealer we wanted to go the chlorine route, however they delivered Bromine.  From all I've read here seems like dichlor is the way to go... Also my husband has had several respitory issues and some folks here said bromine made them cough so thats the last thing he needs...

Questions:
1) I told the delivery guy I requested Dichlor - he said he'd never heard of it.. he was only familiar w/ chlorine and bromine.  Doesn't dichlor=chlorine?
2) Our dealer threw in SunPurity mineral cartridge.  Isn't this the same as N2?
3) The delivery guy said that they switched us to Bromine because SunPurity is not compatible with chlorine... is that correct?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I thought I was somewhat on track and informed about our chemical routine and now I've got bromine and am totally confused :-/.    Thanks.  

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical questions (bromine sunpurity)
« on: October 05, 2006, 07:59:10 pm »

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
Re: Chemical questions (bromine sunpurity)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:09:28 pm »
Dichlor is chlorine - it's really an abbreviation for a much longer name, which escapes me at the moment, but it's something like sodium dichloro....

The sunpurity cartridge is Nature 2 made to fit the Sundance spas and it is definitely compatible with dichlor (chlorine).

gturn

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 09:12:27 pm »
Woo-hoo!  Our Optima was delivered today!  Unfortunately... no hot water yet as our electrician is not available for a few days.    :(

When we purchased I told the dealer we wanted to go the chlorine route, however they delivered Bromine.  From all I've read here seems like dichlor is the way to go... Also my husband has had several respitory issues and some folks here said bromine made them cough so thats the last thing he needs...

Questions:
1) I told the delivery guy I requested Dichlor - he said he'd never heard of it.. he was only familiar w/ chlorine and bromine.  Doesn't dichlor=chlorine?
2) Our dealer threw in SunPurity mineral cartridge.  Isn't this the same as N2?
3) The delivery guy said that they switched us to Bromine because SunPurity is not compatible with chlorine... is that correct?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I thought I was somewhat on track and informed about our chemical routine and now I've got bromine and am totally confused :-/.    Thanks.  

I use Bromine and I like it.  Most problems with people being sensitive to chemicals are from using to much Clorine or Bromine.  I have read lots of opinions about sensitive issues and many say Bromine is milder than Clorine. Bromine use is a very simple process.  You adjust all the levels when you fill the water, after that you keep Bromine tablets in a floater and shock once a week, the tablets will last about 2 weeks between additions. You need to watch the other levels but they seem to remain constant with Bromine.  

With clorine you need to add chemicals after each use of the tub and wait 15 minutes after adding before closing the cover.  If you go a few days without using the tub you have to go out and add more clorine and wait to close the cover. Both methods work well for sanatizing your tub.  A lot of people like clorine because it is a little cheaper and they don't want a floater.  You can try one and if you don't like it change to the other on the next water change.  

Some sites say that with the mineral cardridge you can keep your Clorine or Bromine  levels even lower.  I don't think you can use Sunpurity with Bromine, you can use it with Clorine.

If you have a ozonator you may be able to keep the Clorine and Bromine levels lower as well.

Here is a link to a Chemical Guide Book.

http://www.leisuretimespa.com/data/Brands/3/Collateral/LT%20Spa%20Care%20Guide%20final.pdf

« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:45:09 pm by gturn »

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:53:10 am »
I also use bromine with a floater and it couldn't be easier. Just remove the floater when you use the spa, or leave it in the filter enclosure.
Bullfrog 562

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 10:23:14 am »
I also use bromine...and love it.  I do have Ozone and so keep my levels between 1-2 ppm.  I really like it because the tub is at our country home and I don't have to worry about adding chems during the week.  Have not had any water problems for our first 6 months.  Good Luck, and enjoy the tub!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:37:45 pm »
Boy are you getting misinformation from the delivery guy.  SunPurity IS a Nature2 cartridge.  It is NOT compatable with bromine.  A very nice way to sanitize your spa is with SunPurity and dichlor (the best form of chlorine to use in a spa).  Bromine works too, but not with SunPurity.

My suggestion is to start with SunPurity and dichlor.  It is the easiest and most forgiving way to sanitize your spa.  Have your dealer swap out the bromine for dichlor.  After you get the hang of taking care of your water, you can try bromine if you like at a water change.  However be aware, most who try both bromine and chlorine usually choose chlorine to sanitize long term.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »
Thank for the replies.  Tony.. thanks for confirming my suspicion  ;) ... I thought I had read about people successfully using N2 and Dichlor.  And after reading all the posts on chems here I decided to use chlorine/dichor (vermonter method).  I felt like an idiot yesterday when the 2 delivery guys had never heard of dichlor... thought I was losing it!   I'm going to return my bromine (which is a powder, not tablets) and get dichlor.  Thanks again.  

gturn

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 12:45:37 am »
Thank for the replies.  Tony.. thanks for confirming my suspicion  ;) ... I thought I had read about people successfully using N2 and Dichlor.  And after reading all the posts on chems here I decided to use chlorine/dichor (vermonter method).  I felt like an idiot yesterday when the 2 delivery guys had never heard of dichlor... thought I was losing it!   I'm going to return my bromine (which is a powder, not tablets) and get dichlor.  Thanks again.  

The powder Bromine is for a two part system that is used similar to Clorine, you put it in after each use.  The tablet Bromine is the prefered method if you only want to do weekly chemical additions.  I would return the powdered Bromine and if you want to use the N2 get Dichlor.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 12:45:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42