What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Winterizing" hot tubs  (Read 4434 times)

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
"Winterizing" hot tubs
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:21:08 pm »
I would ask for those more knowledgable than I to address the following situation. My brothers and I purchased a spa about 3 years ago on iimpulse at a Home Depot from a rep from Image Spas (now owned by Keys Backyard). It was your typical mass marketed spa and bought before I knew anything about hot tubs. It is not fancy, but is sufficient for our needs since it is located at our summer home in northern WI, 300 miles away from our primary residences in suburban Chicago. It is used infrequently during the summer months and never during the months from Oct-April. We have for the first 2 years "winterized" the unit by completely draining it in Oct and then refilling it again for the season in May. Here are my questions: does this practice harm the unit in any way and/or speed up the aging process? What do most people do in a situation like this? Since we'll be closing up in 2 weeks, I look forward to all constructive responses. Thanks so much.

Hot Tub Forum

"Winterizing" hot tubs
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:21:08 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: "Winterizing" hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 08:23:04 pm »
It slows the aging. It's not running. If you've winterized it twice and no cracked plumbing in two tries, you're doing it right. Stay the course.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 02:41:32 pm »
I didn't think this topic would be so unique to my situation. Any more opinions? Please advise.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 03:07:33 pm »
I've read previous threads of people opening plumbing lines and using a wet/dry vac to get every last drop of water out so that it isn't puddled somewhere and expands and cracks plumbing.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 01:09:53 pm »
I used a wet vac to get water out of the plumbing once, and it amazed me how much water was still in there.  Absolutely enough to cause major damage had it frozen.
I bet I pulled out at least a gallon.
That's for an Optima.  YMMV
Brewman

hymbaw

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »
You will NEVER get all of the water out!

Drain, shop vac, then reverse shop vac and blow RV anti-freeze into the lines. If you haven't done this in the past, you could just be getting very lucky.

RV or pool anti-freeze ONLY!!!! If you use automotive anti-freeze you will be soaking in poison when you fill it next spring.( I know this seems obvious, but I've seen it done)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42