What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sunbelt Spas  (Read 12903 times)

Augustus

Sunbelt Spas
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:44:25 pm »
Sunbelt Spas' manufacturing facility is located here in Houston and they will sell direct to the public at this location.  Sunbelt has a spa that appears to fit my needs perfectly, but I haven't wet tested it yet.  I'll save further judgement until after I've done so.  

The other spas currently on my radar are:
HS Grandee
Sundance Optima
Artesian Piper Glen

There isn't much information available on Sunbelt from the research that I've done.  I've toured their facility and talked with them indepth about the quality of their product, but being a spa novice, I'm still a bit reluctant.  They claim to use the same equipment that most of the high-end spa builders use.  Claim to use the "heatlock" insulation method.  Equipment warranty is 5 years, with the last 2 years being 50%.  The sound system is a Sony unit with transducers (no external speakers).  

If purchased at the Houston plant, the price is pretty reasonable.

Other than the dealers here, who don't have any intimate knowledge of the Sunbelt product, are there any owners who can comment on first-hand experience?

Hot Tub Forum

Sunbelt Spas
« on: September 26, 2006, 04:44:25 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Sunbelt Spas
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 06:17:07 pm »
Did ya do any research while touring their facility and talking indepthly with them????

I'm confused, but then maybe I'm just in a temporary state of mind :-/
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Augustus

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »
Did ya do any research while touring their facility and talking indepthly with them????

Shouldn't be confusing...I'm looking for end-user input on Sunbelt Spas, not dealer/manufacturer sales speak.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:27:37 pm »
Ouch.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 08:28:29 pm »
My first spa was a Sunbelt - the Polaris model, I believe it was called, with a lounger.  It was very comfortable, had a lot of jets - (33, I think), one 2-speed pump - but the heater wouldn't work if it was on high, if I remember correctly.  There was no circulation pump, which I didn't really miss since it was my first spa.  I had it for three years, until we sold our house and the new owners bought it, and never had any problems with it.  When I was in the market to get another spa for our new house I considered a Sunbelt and spoke to the dealer here - it sounded like maybe there had been some changes made to their spas, not really sure though because we never did go look at them.  The Sunbelt dealer was about an hour from us so we looked at different brands with more local dealers and bought from one of those.

One thing I clearly remember is that my electric bill was not significantly affected by the Sunbelt spa, whereas my current spa caused a huge increase in my electric usage.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.   Oh, by the way - my sister and her husband also have a Sunbelt - they got it a year before me.  Right after the warranty expired the filter housing broke so they had to replace that - but they never had any other problems with theirs, as far as I know.   I believe the model they have is the Andromeda - it's a big one.

Susan

shabba34

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:07:52 pm »

Shouldn't be confusing...I'm looking for end-user input on Sunbelt Spas, not dealer/manufacturer sales speak.
Talk to Term, he has lots of info on Sunbelt...

Augustus

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 09:49:49 pm »
One thing I clearly remember is that my electric bill was not significantly affected by the Sunbelt spa, whereas my current spa caused a huge increase in my electric usage.

Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.   Oh, by the way - my sister and her husband also have a Sunbelt - they got it a year before me.  Right after the warranty expired the filter housing broke so they had to replace that - but they never had any other problems with theirs, as far as I know.   I believe the model they have is the Andromeda - it's a big one.
Susan, the model that I'm considering is the Andromeda.  I prefer the "wave series" jet arrangement, which includes the Wave Seat.  At least I think I do...haven't wet tested yet.  Does the Andromeda seem to be a smart, functional design for your sister, after having lived with it for a few years?  Is your sister in Houston?  If so, how is Sunbelt on warranty issues?

Thanks!

Augustus

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 09:59:59 pm »
By the way, Sunbelt told me that in Houston it would increase my electric bill between $15-20/mo. to use the Andromeda 30 minutes per day.

Here's the Andromeda:

http://www.sunbeltspas.com/modules/cachedimageservice.axd?data=3a7e1c2b-4069-4b73-8218-cd889b2a0aec&format=1
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:00:29 pm by Augustus »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:43 pm »
Since your in a warm climate, the Sunbelt may not be a bad fit for you.  A number of local dealers around the country will buy the Sunbelt shells and then put in whatever jets you want.  In most cases, the cheaper the jets the more profit the dealership makes off you so I guess the quality of the jet's really depends on the dealer you get them from.  While it is true that Somebelt themselves can also place the jets in the tub for you from the factory most dealers don't order them that way (so as to retain the most profit possible).  The thermal pane insulation method that Sunbelt uses  is not really good (in my opinion) so it's not surprising to hear that others have had expensive electricity bills if they live in a colder climate.  IMHO, when you buy a Sunbelt Spa, you get EXACTLY what you pay for (most of them can be had for under $5K or $6K but they all will cost you more to run).  It's a pay me now or play me later option.  I personally decided to spend about $2K more and got a nice name-brand spa of similar size but with greater warranty and nice finish and higher-end electronics, and controls and... you get the idea.  Spend $4,500 for a 450gallon Sunbelt with stereo or spend $6,500 for a Jacuzzi J-370 with stereo.  Seemed like a no-brianer to me.  Continue your research.  I think you will come to a similar conclusion.  Good luck and I hope this post helps!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:32:37 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Augustus

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 11:00:33 pm »
Since your in a warm climate, the Sunbelt may not be a bad fit for you.  A number of local dealers around the country will buy the Sunbelt shells and then put in whatever jets you want.  In most cases, the cheaper the jets the more profit the dealership makes off you so I guess the quality of the jet's really depends on the dealer you get them from.  While it is true that Somebelt themselves can also place the jets in the tub for you from the factory most dealers don't order them that way (so as to retain the most profit possible).
As I've indicated, should I buy a Sunbelt unit, I would purchase directly from the factory, so all of this would be of no concern to me.

The thermal pane insulation method that Sunbelt uses  is not really good (in my opinion) so it's not surprising to hear that others have had expensive electricity bills if they live in a colder climate.
Who said people in colder climates have higher electric bills due to Sunbelt's design?  I never said that.  I've heard other people indicate that Sunbelt and Sundance's in-ground units cost significantly more to operate in colder climates.  

IMHO, when you buy a Sunbelt Spa, you get EXACTLY what you pay for (most of them can be had for under $5K or $6K but they all will cost you more to run).  It's a pay me now or play me later option.  
How do you figure the Sunbelt will cost more to run?  $15-20/mo seems about right to me.  Even the HS dealer told me to expect $15/mo on the Grandee.  

Also, what would make other manufacturers electronics, warranties, etc., superior to Sunbelt's?

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 11:51:56 pm »
What price were you quoted for the Sunbelt? If price wasn't an object I would pesonally go with your other choices. The Optima, Grandee and the Piper Glen are Premium spas. I don't think the Sunbelt is in the same league.  :)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Augustus

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 01:00:16 am »
I don't think the Sunbelt is in the same league.  
That's just it...everything that I've read that was first-hand info, albeit pretty limited, seems to suggest that Sunbelt makes a good product.  Sunbelt employees indicate that their spas are high-end and are intended to compete with HS, Sundance, etc.  

Part of the reason why I started this thread is to find out why people like yourself think that Sunbelt spas aren't in the same league as the big boys.  Specifically, what makes them a lesser quality product?

Price is not an object, but I don't want to spend significantly more money on something than I need to.  I can get the Adromeda loaded for $7,000.  The other 3 spas on my radar will cost me $10,000.  

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 07:25:25 am »
Augustus,

My sister lives in NJ, which is where I lived when I had my Sunbelt spa.  If I remember correctly, their Andromeda cost them $5,000, which is exactly what I paid for the Polaris a year later, which is exactly what the Sunbelt dealer here in PA quoted me for several models a year ago when I was shopping for our second spa.  The Andromeda is a really nice spa, lots of different seats and a large footwell.  They have grandchildren who love to "swim" in the spa, and regularly had several people in it (grown kids and their friends).  As far as warranty issues, the dealer that we each got our Sunbelt from went out of business a few years ago, but until their filter housing broke I don't believe they had any issues that required warranty service.  And when that broke last year it was out of warranty, but they ordered the part from Sunbelt and installed it themselves.

The Sunbelt was much CHEAPER to operate here in the northeast (ie, electricity) than the Sundance I have now, which has a different insulation system (supposed to be better??) and cost twice as much.  I have no regrets getting the Sundance - it's bigger, has a microclean filter which never has to be cleaned, and I like the finish that I got with the Sundance better than the one I had on the Sunbelt - actually, my husband liked the looks of the Sundance better (he never uses the spa) - I just wanted hot water to soak in!!!

I'm sure that Sunbelt made changes (for the better, I'm sure) to their spas and jets since my sister and I bought ours in 2000 and 2001, so it's hard for me to say what they're like now, but I was happy with mine - having never had a spa before that one, and my sister and her husband are equally happy with theirs.  I would have been just as happy to get a new Sunbelt and save money, but my husband insisted on getting the Sundance because the dealer is so close.

Hope this helps - if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!!!!

Susan

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:35:53 am »
The other three spas you mentioned are leaps and bounds better than Sunbelt.

Augustus

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:58:38 am »
The other three spas you mentioned are leaps and bounds better than Sunbelt.
Why?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:58:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42