What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter question for Sundance 880-series owners  (Read 7763 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Filter question for Sundance 880-series owners
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:47:53 am »
Been reading the manual and just want to clarify something with the MicroClean II filter system.  Basically there's a single big disposable filter, and then under that a smaller, cleanable suction cover filter?  And the disposable filter should be changed every six months at the latest, but the suction cover filter needs to be cleaned every two months?

Do most folks follow this schedule?  Would it be even better to clean the suction cover filter more often?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Filter question for Sundance 880-series owners
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:47:53 am »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: Filter question for Sundance 880-series owners
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 07:51:28 pm »
Anyone?  :)   I'll ask my dealer but I wanted to see what people were doing in the real world...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:17:34 pm »
My first microclean II filter lasted 1 year.  I don't think that you have to replace them at six months unless it's necessary.  For me, it wasn't.

The other thing gets cleaned when I changed the water every four months.

Susan

Hammster

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 09:59:43 pm »
I have a Capri model 880. I clean the little bonnet every 2 months. It tends to get enough stuff on it to need cleaning that often. We use our tub a lot, nearly every day, so I think it will depend some on how often you use your spa. It's literally a half hour job. Take out the big filter, take off the bonnet, wash it, rinse it, ring it dry and put it back in. So easy.
We got about 6 months out of our MicroClean 2 before we had to replace it. It was literally falling apart. We started seeing a few "floaters" in the water and realized they were bits of the filter.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:27:55 am »
The 1st time we had the service tech out to look at our Maxxus he recommended taking the little bonnet off completely.  We did, but can anyone say if this will hurt anything?  Since removing it, we have had zero crud left in the bottom of the filter area.

Jr

Hammster

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 08:21:07 am »
The 1st time we had the service tech out to look at our Maxxus he recommended taking the little bonnet off completely.  We did, but can anyone say if this will hurt anything?  Since removing it, we have had zero crud left in the bottom of the filter area.

Jr

I think the bonnet should stay. Why would the manufacturer put it on there and even mention how often to clean it if it's not intended to be there? I think the reason it's there is to keep crud out of the rest of the tub's plumbing. Now that you have removed yours, that crud is getting into the plumbing.
It baffles me that a service tech would recommend taking that bonnet off. Is he trying to drum up work by now introducing crud into your system?
I work in manufacturing as a Process Engineer. What I do is create and write the assembly processes for the products our design engineers design. They don't put things on designs that don't belong. In fact they usually miss something at first and then have to go back and add it later, thus resulting in product improvements. Somehow I think Sundance Engineers are doing the same and that bonnet should be there to protect something.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 10:17:06 am »
Good point Hammster.  I believe I will put mine back on.

Thanks,
Jr

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 10:28:53 am »
Here's the pertinent section from the owner's manual.  I'm actually still confused about how the filtering works.  The MicroClean filter is for water being sucked into pump #2, while the suction cover filter is for pump #1?  If so, why would they have such drastically different filters for the two pumps?  Is it assumed that ALL the water will eventually get pulled through the MicroClean filter?  And what about the circ pump -- what filter does that water get pulled through?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 10:29:39 am by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hammster

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 11:27:01 am »
I have the same manual. The microclean 2 is for the recirc pump that ultimately all water will get pumped and filtered through. The bonnet is for the jets pump. So, you really don't want stuff getting into your jets pump and consequently into the jets.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 12:32:32 pm »
It's very much like the prior generation I microfilter setup.  
Pump #1 pulls the water thru the filters.
Pump #2 does not- but there are three suction inlets along the side near the bottom of the footwell, and they have little nylon booties to keep debris out of the pump.
The actual filtering is all done by one pump, though.

Let the 100% filtration vs not begin...........
Brewman

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 01:53:19 pm »
 The MicroClean filter is for water being sucked into pump #2, while the suction cover filter is for pump #1?  

Nope, the filtration system is entirely seperate from the jet pumps.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:44:31 am »
Circulation pump is the only pump that pulls throught the filter.

Jets 2 only sucks through bottom suctions.

Jets 1 sucks through a bottom suction and the suction in the filter well.

The suctions in the bottom are designed to not suck in sand.  The one in the filter well, because of the way it is positioned, could potentially get sand in it.  That is the reason for the filter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 11:44:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42