What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet Test:  Sundance Maxxus  (Read 4902 times)

Augustus

Wet Test:  Sundance Maxxus
« on: September 23, 2006, 09:02:04 pm »
Holy Cow!  This thing's big!  

It's my nature to want the biggest, baddest, most souped-up spa that I can get...or so I thought.  Wet tested the Maxxus today at the dealer and I was really disappointed.  For me, there was nothing relaxing at all about the experience.  It was a constant struggle just to say planted in the thing.  There was so much turbulence that I was being pushed around all over the spa.  I'm 6'0" 180lbs.  I thought my poor girlfriend (5'4" 110lbs) was going to drown.  Also, I never could get the jets turned down enough to be comfortable.  My back was numb after 20 minutes and it was more painful than anything else.  

This was my first wet test and I really wanted to like this spa.  On to the next one...

After today's experience, I'm thinking that I might just want the most basic thing that I can get.  Maybe "therapeutic" just isn't for me.  I want something that me and a couple of buddies can just relax and drink a beer in.  I don't want this to be an exhausting experience.  Has anyone else felt this way?

Hot Tub Forum

Wet Test:  Sundance Maxxus
« on: September 23, 2006, 09:02:04 pm »

NWHotTubber

Re: Wet Test:  Sundance Maxxus
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 10:03:24 pm »
Do you have a Hot Springs dealer in your area.  I am really impressed with the moto massage.  Along with you can turn it down so you have less turbulence.   Of course I would say that since we are waiting on ours to be delivered  :)

The Vangard is also a nice one, just a little smaller than the Grandee.  We went with the Grandee for the times that our kids will be in with us.  Which may be more often than we want   :-/  (I am sure we will be sneaking out there after they go to bed 8-) )

Have fun in Wet Testing  :)

Augustus

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 10:16:48 pm »
Yes, I have a HS dealer nearby.  I'm going to wet test the Vista on Monday and hopefully some of their other units as well.  The dealer's Grandee doesn't have water in it at the moment, but hopefully I can test it soon.  Also considering the Envoy.

My girlfriend really likes the loveseat option in some of the Sundance models.  Does any other premium spa makers offer a loveseat?

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:32:38 pm »
Sorry to hear you didn't like the Sundance, they do make a very good tub.  

If you were looking for a little more flexibility in available jets and pump size check out a Bullfrog.   You can order the tub with whatever pump you want 2.5hp to 4.8hp.  They offer single and dual pump tubs with or without a circ. pump.   Jet packs are completely interchangeable, so just pick out the ones you like during the wet test.  They don't offer a tub with a love seat but the 552 model has two loungers

Good luck with your search
Bullfrog 451

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:18:15 pm »
We have a HS Prodigy that was deliverd a month ago.  We just love it.  The jets are adjustable, seating is great, enough leg room, seats 4-5.  We didn't have to look long, we found the Prodigy and knew that was the one for us.  Good luck on your search.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 11:54:15 pm »
This was my first wet test and I really wanted to like this spa.  On to the next one...

After today's experience, I'm thinking that I might just want the most basic thing that I can get.  Maybe "therapeutic" just isn't for me.  I want something that me and a couple of buddies can just relax and drink a beer in.  I don't want this to be an exhausting experience.  Has anyone else felt this way?

We had a similar experience with HS actually.  Our first wet test was in a Grandee and I could not stay put, very stressful and exhausting.   Left the dealer disappointed because I wanted to like it.  That said, we found the more wet tests we did, the better we got at them.   Took a couple times to learn how to control the tubs so that we were comfortable.  

Keep looking and wet testing. As you try more spas you'll see what works for you, and what doesn't.   Don't feel funny about going back and asking to wet test a second (or third) time, or asking to wet test a different model.  

Sounds like the Maxxus was just too big for you.  We ended up purchasing an Optima (for our family of 4) but wet tested about 5 or 6 brands.   We saw the Maxxus on the showroom floor and  my family literally stood gawking at it ... it's absolutely enormous!  (kinda like a Hummer compared to a Trailblazer)

Maybe there are other Sundance models that would be a better fit.  Hot Spring, Artesian, Maquris, Jacuzzi, Arctic are all great brands.  If you don't care for the strong jets look for a spa with 2 speed pumps.  We tested Caldera Elation and the lower speed is a less intense massage... Have fun shopping!

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 12:04:56 am »
Sorry as well to hear about your experience.  We have had our Maxxus for a little over a month and enjoy it at least twice a day.

Like others have mentioned, wet test as many brands as you can and you will find one that suits the both of you to a T.

Question for some of the experts out there.  I realize everyone's chemical make-up is slightly different.  However, how is it that 2 people the same size can soak and have completely different experiences?  For example, when we wet tested HS with the MotoMessage lounge seat, neither my wife nor I could stay put in it.  Try as we might, we kept floating out.  However, our friends who are currently tub shopping had the dead opposite experience in the same HS tub.  Although our wives are different heights, my friend and I are both right at 5'9" and weight right at 180 lbs.  

Thoughts?

Jr

anne

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 12:39:45 pm »
My girlfriend really likes the loveseat option in some of the Sundance models.  Does any other premium spa makers offer a loveseat?

I'm sure there are a number of them out there. That is one feature that I like about my tub- It is an Arctic Summit Legend. In general, three of the corners have very sculpted seats, which I really like, but it does limit sitting close to someone else. But one corner of the tub has a "loveseat" or bench that is not at all sculpted with armrests and the like, so it is perfect for two people who want to be able to cuddle up.

ftp://http://www.goarctic.co.uk/arcticspas.html#

This link shows all their models. Looks like the Avalance also has some couple-friendly seating arrangements.

Seems like a number of HS spas have pretty open seating, and I think Artesian has a couple sort of like the Legend with a longer right next to another seat with fairly open seating....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 12:49:47 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Augustus

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 07:18:50 pm »
That is one feature that I like about my tub- It is an Arctic Summit Legend.
Thanks for the reply.  Your spa looks like something that I would be interested in, but there isn't an Arctic dealer anywhere close to Houston, TX.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 07:24:30 pm »

I think this might be an overated idea. As much as I love my wife, the last thing we want to do after spending a couple of minutes in 104 degree water is be that close.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

anne

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 09:49:01 pm »

I think this might be an overated idea. As much as I love my wife, the last thing we want to do after spending a couple of minutes in 104 degree water is be that close.

Then turn it down to 102! ::)
Dance like nobody's watching

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 01:30:16 pm »
Based on your experience you really should try soaking in a Epic by Marquis. very strong but very comfortable jets, The Tri Zone concept from Marquis addresses your exact experience. If you do test soak one give your self a good twenty minute soak or longer.

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 07:00:19 pm »
wmccall,
Are you kidding me!!!!! To close in a hot tub with your wife. I was under the impression after therapy Hot tubs were best for spicing up your love life. Hard to do if you don't want to touch each other. As Jim Rome says WAR HOT TUBS, WAR LOVING YOUR WIFE IN AND OUT OF THE HOT TUB.  [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=kiss.gif]

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 08:16:40 pm »
  Also, I never could get the jets turned down enough to be comfortable.  

Huh?

The jets wil turn down all the way to "off".

I'm sorry your dealer didn't show you how.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

martyz4

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:07:23 pm »

:-?we just got our maxxus last week. it is wonderful. you can turn on just the one pump at a time. you can change the direction of the jets or turn each individual one off. it is the most comfortable one we wet tested.

i'm really disappointed at the outcome of your wet test. maybe with this new knowledge you could try it again. i'd definately go to a different dealer though.  ::)seems you didn't get all the info you needed for a fair decision.

good luck!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 09:07:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42