What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's the deal?  (Read 4687 times)

tileman

What's the deal?
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:31:38 pm »
I can not understand why every  spa wouldn't  be built with a floor drain. Some of the major brands actually put them up the footwell wall, about an inch or so. They should atleast come with a wet/dry vac or something. :-? Am I making a big deal about this or do others feel the same way.

Hot Tub Forum

What's the deal?
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:31:38 pm »

Augustus

Re: What's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 05:37:37 pm »
I can not understand why every  spa wouldn't  be built with a floor drain. Some of the major brands actually put them up the footwell wall, about an inch or so. They should atleast come with a wet/dry vac or something. :-? Am I making a big deal about this or do others feel the same way.
It would be nice if they all had the drain in the floor, but according to HS, they really have to beef-up the shell to accommodate the drain.  

I don't see why leaving 3 or 4 gallons of water in the bottom after a water change is a big deal.  

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 05:43:28 pm »
First of all, I thought all spas had floor drains. What brand do you have tileman? And why did Augustus think it was a HS? Don't they have a floor drain? And if his statement is correct, what does that tell a consumer about the strength of their shell if they would have to "beef it up" just to have a floor drain? Makes one wonder about #1

Augustus

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 05:46:21 pm »
First of all, I thought all spas had floor drains. What brand do you have tileman? And why did Augustus think it was a HS?
I didn't mean to insinuate that he had a Hot Spring.  That is just what the HS dealer told me.

No, all spas do not have floor drains.  Some spas have the drain on the floor, some have the drain on the sidewall near the floor, and some spas don't have a drain at all.

tileman

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 05:48:30 pm »
Wes, the brand i'm leaning toward  is Jacuzzi even w/o floor drain. As far as HS, the do have floor drains.

shabba34

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 06:13:52 pm »
First of all, I thought all spas had floor drains. What brand do you have tileman? And why did Augustus think it was a HS? Don't they have a floor drain? And if his statement is correct, what does that tell a consumer about the strength of their shell if they would have to "beef it up" just to have a floor drain? Makes one wonder about #1
Ouch!  You're gettin pretty good at throwing those subtle shots at HS.  Something as simple as a floor drain shows you the strength of the shell.  I know it sounds pitchy, but it's the truth.  Reason why others don't have(I think), $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.  Next, you'll be hammering the moto-massage, the filtration, the jets, etc... ::)  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 06:38:00 pm by pkud »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 06:15:57 pm »
Bottom drains are SO overrated.  Heck, any drains are overrated.

In reality, no drains are needed.  To me, it's so much easier throwing a couple of hoses into the tub and syphoning out the water without having to make a hose connection to an exterior drain access.  And when the water level gets to the bottom, I usually jump in and position the hoses to the lowest points in the tub.  I bet there's no more than a gallon or so left after all is said and done.  This way, the drain access is always closed and never leaks as well.  Works for me anyway...
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 06:20:32 pm »
I have a botom drain on my tub, but alas....I don't use it either....to slow. As was stated a shop vac and a pool dain hose and, poof 15-20 minutes I'm refilling.
Retired

shabba34

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 06:26:58 pm »
I use a sump pump as well and I too have a floor drain, but my point wasn't to claim that it's better to have, rather it was to diffuse the uneducated.  And I mean that in a totally spa speaking sense. ;)

wesj53

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:27:34 pm »
Hey pkud, I like your style - even though we can agree to disagree at times. Ok, now do I understand correctly HS does NOT have floor drains. You're a dealer and you say no they don't. Augustus agrees with you (via a HS dealer) that they don't, but tileman says HS does have drains. I will assume you are correct pkud (I hope you know your own product.)

So what ARE you saying about the strength of HS's shells? That indeed they are too weak to support a drain in the floor? If that's correct, I give you a lot of credit for the admission. (It sure beats some of the BS I read from some of the dealers on this site.)

No, actually I liked some of the special features on the HS like the moto-massage and the sooothing
seven. They're nice features and HS should be credited for inventing them. I have no problems with the brand other than I thought there were better values in the market like Artesian and Arctic.  :)

wesj53

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 06:31:32 pm »
Bottom drains are SO overrated.  Heck, any drains are overrated.

In reality, no drains are needed.  To me, it's so much easier throwing a couple of hoses into the tub and syphoning out the water without having to make a hose connection to an exterior drain access.  And when the water level gets to the bottom, I usually jump in and position the hoses to the lowest points in the tub.  I bet there's no more than a gallon or so left after all is said and done.  This way, the drain access is always closed and never leaks as well.  Works for me anyway...
Geez dog, doesn't siphoning out hundreds of gallons take forever? I would think gravity fed is much faster, but then my spa hasn't come in yet. Plus, I'm not sure I want to get in my tub in the middle of a Chicago winter and getting my feet wet cleaning out the last few gallons.

shabba34

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 06:32:02 pm »
Hey pkud, I like your style - even though we can agree to disagree at times. Ok, now do I understand correctly HS does NOT have floor drains. You're a dealer and you say no they don't. Augustus agrees with you (via a HS dealer) that they don't, but tileman says HS does have drains. I will assume you are correct pkud (I hope you know your own product.)

So what ARE you saying about the strength of HS's shells? That indeed they are too weak to support a drain in the floor? If that's correct, I give you a lot of credit for the admission. (It sure beats some of the BS I read from some of the dealers on this site.)

No, actually I liked some of the special features on the HS like the moto-massage and the sooothing
seven. They're nice features and HS should be credited for inventing them. I have no problems with the brand other than I thought there were better values in the market like Artesian and Arctic.  :)
HS does have a floor drain.  Where was the confusion?

Augustus

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 06:33:12 pm »
Wes, listen:

[size=24]HOT SPRING SPAS HAVE DRAINS IN THE FLOOR![/size]

Is that clear?

wesj53

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 06:36:29 pm »
Oh, ok. Your post read that the "reason why others don't have including yours truly" I took to mean the HS, your brand. (Heck, sometimes we write too fast that the meaning is lost.)  

wesj53

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:38:18 pm »
Wes, listen:

[size=24]HOT SPRING SPAS HAVE DRAINS IN THE FLOOR![/size]

Is that clear?
Ok, I hear you. Now quit screaming. You're hurting my ears!!! (Your first post was a little confusing if you re-read it.) I just wanted to get my facts straight.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:38:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42