What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long before newbie "spatopia" wears off?  (Read 5616 times)

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
How long before newbie "spatopia" wears off?
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:05:01 pm »
Seriously.  We are awaiting our '06 Caldera Geneva and most of my friends/relatives think I am crazy for such an over the top  purchase (their definition, not mine).  They think, like everything else, once the novelty wears off the spa will become a big birdbath, with no one wanting to use it.  They tell me that with the time it takes for water maintainance, electric consumption increases, not to mention that cost of the electrical & patio work for the spa, we now have a 7' X 7' money pit in our backyard.

I have combatted them with all the facts I have learned here:  modern spas are very energy efficient, once easily mastered water maintainance should be a snap, our spa can be used all year round, hopefully will increase the value of our home and ambiance of our backyard, etc.  The only point I cannot fight is if we will grow tired of using the spa.  This is my (our) first spa and have no prior experiences.

So any feedback on this?  I understand a newbie family will probably be in the tub all the time the first few weeks/months and then it should taper off a bit.  The nature of this board is to cater to spa enthusiasts so I expect a positive response overall.  

Honestly has anyone grown tired of their spa?  Do experienced spa users still use their spa in all four seasons and most days of the week?  I would think a nightly soak would sound great but with time constraints, etc. who knows.  Has anyone, while still loving their spa, seen a dramatic decrease in the time spent in it?

I know for the money we are spending we BETTER use the darn thing!!!  Thanks in advance for the feedback!  ;)

Marc

Hot Tub Forum

How long before newbie "spatopia" wears off?
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:05:01 pm »

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
Re: How long before newbie "spatopia" wears off?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 01:23:07 pm »
I second that motion, Marc! My wife actually was the one who actually wanted one of these things. I thought the same thing; it wll be used for a few months and then becomes an unsed box of water. But I will admit, I've caught the bug and anxiously await delivery of mine. And at my age of 53 and still active in a lot of sports, I think the spa will be beneficial to my aging and sometime aching body! Heck, I might end up using it more than she does! And the kids are sure looking forward to their return trips from college to hop in with their friends as well.

Oh yeah, here's one more thing I'm looking forward to. I told the wife that since we will be using it by ourselves for the most part, she might have more of an appetite for --- ! I got that "deer in headlights" look and knew immediately it was wishful thinking! Oh well, I can still dream!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »
I've had a hot tub for 3 years. Still love it.  ;)

I too was concerned with the "novelty" of it all wearing off, that's why I jumped at the chance to get a free tub to see that if on a day to day basis would I use it.  My first tub was an electicity gobbling ugly POS, but I'm glad I got it.  It let me know how much I would enjoy it. Plus going from a horrible POS tub to something halfway decent....wow. I really could appreciate it.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 01:44:43 pm »
We got ours the first week of July!  I turned it down to 98 and the kids hopped in and out of it, with their goggles on, like it was a pool.  

I found it more difficult to go in it when it was a hot summer day/night.  Now that the weather has turned rather chilly up here in MN, I am using it quite a bit more!!

I run in the morning, then shower-no conditioner- hot tub for 15 minutes, back in shower for conditioner.

About a half hour before the kids go to bed, we'll get our suits on and all go in for 15 minutes.  I set the timer then, as the water temp is now set for 102-104 and I don't need boiled kids!  Timer goes off, kids hop out, dry off, and go to bed.  

So, my spatopia is continuing.... :)
2005 HS Vanguard

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 02:00:45 pm »
I had a spa years ago, back in the early 90s.  In the beginning, I was in it every day and then slacked off to just a couple times a week for the two years that I had it.   I moved away and had to leave it.  I got another one in August of 2005.  I still get in several times a week.  Everytime I get in, I tell myself that I should be doing this more often because I enjoy it so much.

I truly can tell a difference if I've not used it in several days.  I get stiff and start feeling numbness in my legs.  If I use it on a regular basis, I'm not stiff and have no numbness.  It has cured me.  I never want to be without one again.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 02:09:34 pm »
Oh yeah, here's one more thing I'm looking forward to. I told the wife that since we will be using it by ourselves for the most part, she might have more of an appetite for --- ! I got that "deer in headlights" look and knew immediately it was wishful thinking! Oh well, I can still dream!

;D

You might tell her, from your point of view of course, that you find it easier to talk with her and "share on a deeper level" when you're in the water together. (I find the Spice to be much more  . . . responsive . . . on that "sharing" level we women like). Makes me want to "share" more too!

[smiley=happy.gif]

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:19:48 pm »
We've had our Vanguard for 1 year now and it was purchased more so for my wife. I didn't really have a desire to get one.

Believe it or not, we ended up using it every single day since we recieved it one year ago. All I do is brag to everyone how awesome it is to have a hot tub. I try to convince everyone to get one. Personally, I don't think this will ever wear off for either of us. One of the best moves we ever made. We get so much more out of it than we do with our in-ground swimming pool. Hopefully you will too!

Webini

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 02:58:52 pm »

I had the same conversation with my wife and got the same look.  In our case it did work though!   ;D

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 03:01:19 pm »
I think a lot of us had that same thought.  We've only had ours for 2 1/2 months, but we've been in it every day, unless it's raining.  I hope the use continues, cause you're right; for what we paid for a hot tub, we better use it.  My wife and I used to watch 3-4 movies/week, but since owning the tub, we're lucky if we watch 1/week becuase we're in the tub every night.  I suppose by the time next summer rolls around we won't be as excited to hop in when it's 90+ out.  Everyone telling you that you won't use it after 2 months or whatever is probably just wanting one of their own.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 03:03:27 pm »
Yeah, what he said......
Bullfrog 562

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 03:14:07 pm »

I am awaiting my Arctic Spa and I too have had some less than glowing remarks from relatives.  They argue that it is a novelty, too much $$$$, and they claim that it is a huge commitment in order to keep the water clean.  Fortunely, I work with four spa owners who LOVE their spa and would not trade it for the world.  I am also hoping for some quality time with kids and later alone with my bride.  I live in Alberta were we get 8 months of cold weather and 4 months of poor skiing.  In my mind it will make the winters more manageable.  Six more days until delivery!!!! 8-)

Seriously.  We are awaiting our '06 Caldera Geneva and most of my friends/relatives think I am crazy for such an over the top  purchase (their definition, not mine).  They think, like everything else, once the novelty wears off the spa will become a big birdbath, with no one wanting to use it.  They tell me that with the time it takes for water maintainance, electric consumption increases, not to mention that cost of the electrical & patio work for the spa, we now have a 7' X 7' money pit in our backyard.

I have combatted them with all the facts I have learned here:  modern spas are very energy efficient, once easily mastered water maintainance should be a snap, our spa can be used all year round, hopefully will increase the value of our home and ambiance of our backyard, etc.  The only point I cannot fight is if we will grow tired of using the spa.  This is my (our) first spa and have no prior experiences.

So any feedback on this?  I understand a newbie family will probably be in the tub all the time the first few weeks/months and then it should taper off a bit.  The nature of this board is to cater to spa enthusiasts so I expect a positive response overall.  

Honestly has anyone grown tired of their spa?  Do experienced spa users still use their spa in all four seasons and most days of the week?  I would think a nightly soak would sound great but with time constraints, etc. who knows.  Has anyone, while still loving their spa, seen a dramatic decrease in the time spent in it?

I know for the money we are spending we BETTER use the darn thing!!!  Thanks in advance for the feedback!  ;)

Marc

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 03:30:43 pm »
I am awaiting my Arctic Spa and I too have had some less than glowing remarks from relatives.  They argue that it is a novelty, too much $$$$, and they claim that it is a huge commitment in order to keep the water clean.  Fortunely, I work with four spa owners who LOVE their spa and would not trade it for the world.  I am also hoping for some quality time with kids and later alone with my bride.  I live in Alberta were we get 8 months of cold weather and 4 months of poor skiing.  In my mind it will make the winters more manageable.  Six more days until delivery!!!! 8-)

Marc

I can understand the concern, but as you'll find out....water care is not a problem for  the majority of folks.
Electrical costs are not what folks think and using the tub in the colder months is the best.

As I've said before in other threads, I'm amazed  byhow many folks think a hot tub is some toy of the rich.  COmpared to motorcycles, cars,  time shares, some home heaters sytems I've seen,  A hot tub isn't that bad at all.  My biggest kick is my pals who insist on $60K SUVs  but think a hot tub is an extravagance.  Different strokes for different folks....

Ocf course, I still want all those other things too.  ;)

07 Caldera Geneva

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 04:09:05 pm »
5 years with a free tub (getting to spend 10k on a new one) and still in it 4 days or more a week this time of year. The only time i am not in it often is in the summer.

wesj53

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 04:21:04 pm »
[
You might tell her, from your point of view of course, that you find it easier to talk with her and "share on a deeper level" when you're in the water together. (I find the Spice to be much more  . . . responsive . . . on that "sharing" level we women like). Makes me want to "share" more too!

[smiley=happy.gif]
Yes, thanks imp for the advice. I already feel I'm getting in touch with my feminine side!

dkersten

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 05:13:51 pm »
I have had mine 3 weeks now and so far the chemical/maintenance side is no problem.. I have not seen an electrical bill but I doubt I will even notice it.. in the summer my electrical is around $280 per month and in the winter its around $130 per month.. gas is exact opposite.. when electrical changes by $50 or more in a month already, I doubt I will notice $10-$15 per month difference from the tub.. and yes, even here in Montana, every dealer insists that the newer tubs use about $10-12 per month in the warm months, and about $15-18 in the cold months. Hardly noticeable.

As far as usage, I cant say how much I will use it in the future, but I also had the same arguments from relatives for the last 3 years that I have planned to buy a hot tub.  My brother bought a HS jetsetter about 4 years ago, and used it religiously until he sold it with his house.  His new house is very beautiful, and kept immaculate by his wife, and it is his new relaxation.. he comes home to a very nice house and gets the same de-stressing benefits from the calm that comes over him when he gets home as the hot tub did for him when he had his last house.  If I were to bet I would say there is about a 70% likeliness that he will buy another hot tub in the next 5 years..  

I only hope that I will be using my tub 3-4 times a week in a year.. if not, then I am sure my family will use it enough to satisfy me..

The investment was a tough choice for me, as there is no benefit other than luxury for a hot tub.. However, it is cheaper than a boat or a couple four wheelers, and it has made my friends and fellow employees just a bit envious.. I have friends with RV's and off road toys, snowmobiles, boats, etc, and honestly I think I will enjoy this hot tub more than they will ever enjoy those toys.. I can use mine year round, and if I ever want to go 4 wheeling, RV'ing, snowmobiling, or Boating, I can rent..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 05:13:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42