What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trisodium Phosphate  (Read 21212 times)

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Trisodium Phosphate
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 02:29:20 pm »
Wow I think I must have made a new best friend!!

Sorry I'm not the expert on the effects and uses of trisodium phosphate, so I can't answer your unrelated questions/statements.

Artesian tech support simply recommended it to me for cleaning my filters, and I figured I'd throw it out to this forum and see if anyone else was using it as it sounded like a good solution.

It's available to purchase at stores in my area. Local paint stores, hardware stores, etc.
Not to concerned about environmental issues and the use of TSP

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 02:29:20 pm »

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 02:29:42 pm »
I'm curious, too, as to the pro's and con's of using TSP.

Anne, I remember some posters saying they were gonig to start using Simple Green. I'd like to know the pro's and con's of that, too.

Anyone care to enlighten us?  :-?

Phil

P.S. This is good timing as I just started using my last bottle of the purple filter cleaner. For what it's worth, I don't spray it on. I pour 8 oz. into a 5 gallon bucket and put both pleated filters in. I have two sets so I let them soak overnight or longer. Once I forgot and left them in for two weeks. :o  It didn't seem to bother them any. Rinsed them off and put them back in the spa. They did fine and I've had both sets of filters over a year now.
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 02:39:31 pm »
Wow I think I must have made a new best friend!!

Sorry I'm not the expert on the effects and uses of trisodium phosphate, so I can't answer your unrelated questions/statements.

Artesian tech support simply recommended it to me for cleaning my filters, and I figured I'd throw it out to this forum and see if anyone else was using it as it sounded like a good solution.

It's available to purchase at stores in my area. Local paint stores, hardware stores, etc.
Not to concerned about environmental issues and the use of TSP

Well I assumed my friend that since  you said that you were surprised that there wasn't  alot of dicussion here, that you had inside info. You alluded that once agian, maybe dealers were trying to mislead you.  So, yup color me surprised that you don't know why it's not a nationaly distrubued product and that there are concerns with using it.  I was simply quesitoning your authoratitave knowlege and statments to see if you had any clue of what you were talking about, or simply repeating back what some "tech support" guy told you.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:40:23 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 02:42:51 pm »
I could be wrong but it seemed to me that Drew was against using TSP to clean filters. I'm not sure exactly why as his comments didn't make sense to me.

For what it's worth, I did find much info on the web regarding using TSP to clean pool and spa filters.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 02:44:57 pm »
I'm against using TSP. It's causes a lot of problems in our lakes and streams.  It can damage your deck, it can ruin grout and metals in the bathrooms. (I clean my filters in my tub. in my bathroom. Sometimes, I carry the wet filter across my deck.... I was leary of taking your advice at face value.   I'd be careful with the stuff, because some of the info passed off on the web by some folks who claim to be consumer advocates just don't know.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:50:00 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 02:51:16 pm »
Drew -
Please enlighten us the concerns, related or urelated, to cleaning filters with TSP.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 02:54:50 pm »
So is that supposed to be a con of using it?

Just being careful where it drips?

I'm not going to comment on the lake and stream concern.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 02:59:08 pm »
once agian for the slow folks....If your are going to use TSP to clean your filters, be aware that what you put down the drain can have a very negative effect on lakes and streams.  IF you're like me, and clean your filters in the bathroom,. be carefuls with the stuff, it will ruin you grout, it can corroed the metal on bathroom fixtures,  If you're putting the filter directly back into the spa, make sure it's rinsed well, espically so, if you have a wooden cabinet, or your spa is on a deck.  

Many dealers sell a quality degreaser for filters that's a lot more enviormentaly friendly, and if you have a problem with the product or specific questions, they can help you out.

Also, if someone alludes that since a dealer doen'st recomend TSP,  or sell a product carried via a national retailer, it may not be because they are steering you towards thier high profit cleaner, It may be that's it's been banned in several states.

Is that clear enough for you my friend? You wanted to discuss it. I'm discussing it.   Ialso recomended that  since you have a lot of knoweldge, try it out for yourself and report back to us....oh wait, that might be tough, since you really don't have anything to compare it to.

If you do not understand my words, polietly ask, and I'd be happy to restate them. If you disagree, please state what you disagree with and why. Maybe then we can communicate?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:26:40 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 02:59:48 pm »

"I'm not going to comment on the lake and stream concern."

Why not?  Or is the EPA,(like those salesfolks) just scaring us?  You might be surprised but the envriomental effects on  products is a pretty significant issue with many folks. Maybe not for you,  but let's not be ignorant and promote the use of a Banned product on the forum for home use.

Or is it that you just didn't know? It's relevant. I thought you wanted to discuss it?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:19:44 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 03:26:30 pm »
Great thanks for all the info Drew. Unfortunatley your concerns are not a concern for me, so with that being said I'm going to use it.

Your right it may be that they don't carry it because it's banned it their state, but I'd put my money on that not being the case.

I know one thing, if it was sold at spa dealers, it would have been mentioned on this board at some point in time, and it wasn't.

That reminds me, I need to get home now and spray "diazinon" around the permiter of my foundation to kill those pesky carpenter ants. Good stuff by the way, kills the ants good. I have two cases in my garage. Should last me 20 years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 03:36:02 pm »
Your welcome. But at least now you know. Right? That was the point of your post, right? And we didn't have to call anyone a liar, or uncover some great conspiaracy from the dealer. (The shop keeper is trying to sell me a product!!! Run away!)   Too bad we took the long way to get there.  but at least your a bit less ignorant now. Right?

I don't see the relavancy of the Diazon statement to hot tub filters.. However, I'm sorry to hear your home is infested with bugs. Sounds kinda gross.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 03:51:39 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 04:50:19 pm »
I am not trying to stir up this mess, and I am not completely sure about how relevant this is to cleaning filters, BUT...there are products for pool water designed especially to remove phosphates. Phosphates can have a negative effect on the quality of pool water, and if I can believe the tech at my local pool store, phosphates can also screw up your water test results...So maybe there is much we don't know right now about the full effects of TPS as a filter cleaner.
 I have used it to clean walls before I paint. But like, Drew, I know the potential of dumping phosphates..so I am careful when I use it.  
I had no idea TPS was used for shrimp, but I can relate to that slippery feel sometimes..I am going to ask my friend in the seafood department of my Super Fresh store..I know years ago they used formaldehyde.... :P

Support your dealer so they can support you!

anne

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 04:52:24 pm »
Great thanks for all the info Drew. Unfortunatley your concerns are not a concern for me, so with that being said I'm going to use it.

Your right it may be that they don't carry it because it's banned it their state, but I'd put my money on that not being the case.

I know one thing, if it was sold at spa dealers, it would have been mentioned on this board at some point in time, and it wasn't.

That reminds me, I need to get home now and spray "diazinon" around the permiter of my foundation to kill those pesky carpenter ants. Good stuff by the way, kills the ants good. I have two cases in my garage. Should last me 20 years.

Until these comments, I appreciated your cynical and straightforward comments on this forum as a good balance and contrast to other stuff here. But if you actually mean what you just said, and arent just trying to stir up controversy for the sake of a little (weird) fun, then I really think you must be a piece of work. What goes? >:(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:52:52 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

NWHotTubber

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 06:30:00 pm »
TSP-- I would not want to use it on any part of our spa... including filters.

Did a quick search and here is an interesting link...
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/inftsp.shtm

quote from that page is "It can damage many metal and painted surfaces, and can stain woods. It is not recommended for use on glass, either, since it will leave a filmy residue."

Not to mention algae loves phospates  :D  

I would not want to risk residual possibilities from this stuff... and will leave residue.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 07:07:28 pm »
I like the filter cleaner. Of course, I can just take a bottle home if I ever need it. Come to think of it, I tend to throw my filters away when they are dirty. If they get REAL dirty I just get a new spa. Hmm. Probably shouldn't admit that...

If you want to try TSP, here are some tips:

Find a bucket that will cover your filter(s) with as little water as possible.
Use a plastic bucket.
Don't use TSP indoors.
Wear old clothes -
Wear eye protection -
Gloves are a good idea.
Don't splash.
Do not dump down storm drains.
Do not dump on lawn or shrubs.
Do not dump into septic systems.

The product sold in grocery stores under the brand name, "TsP" in the bright orange box is NOT TriSodium Phosphate. It is a low-phosphate detergent and will drive you nuts with suds. You can only buy real TSP at hardware/paint homecenters.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 07:07:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42