What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trisodium Phosphate  (Read 21213 times)

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Trisodium Phosphate
« on: September 21, 2006, 03:07:35 pm »
Anyone using this to clean their filters?

Looking at picking it up from my local paint store in the powder form to mix in a bucket of hot water.
I heard it works good, and doesn't foam up the tub afterwards.

Hot Tub Forum

Trisodium Phosphate
« on: September 21, 2006, 03:07:35 pm »

96SC

Re: Trisodium Phosphate
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:39:42 pm »
The only thing I know about TSP is that we used it in the seafood industry as a water softener to soak shrimp, it was commonly called Calgon by the inside folks.  It was great making the shrimp pick up more water weight and eliminate some black spots on their tails.

If you have never taken a shower in soft water it feels like you still have soap all over your skin after you've rinsed off.

How it will work on filters?  Beats me, hope your filters don't start smelling like shrimp cocktails.  LOL
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:49:26 pm »
I decided to google it and came up with this article..
I'm trying it...

http://www.hancockpools.com/rep_cartridges.cfm?&crtclean=yes
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:28:42 pm by wmccall »

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:07:11 am »
The only thing I know about TSP is that we used it in the seafood industry as a water softener to soak shrimp, it was commonly called Calgon by the inside folks.  It was great making the shrimp pick up more water weight and eliminate some black spots on their tails.

How it will work on filters?    LOL

Oh my goodness!!  :o :o  And people wonder why we have so many ailments when we are ingesting chemicals that are capable of cleaning filters... :o :o

sledjunkie--I checked out the post and am glad I did.  It has the ratio of chemicals to water that I have been wondering about.  I think I may try this as well.  I recently cleaned my 5 filters using the  LT spray-on instant cartridge cleaner.  I went through over a half-bottle.
I wonder if I can put the concoction in a spray bottle for my monthly cleanings? Perhaps I'll try!

I haven't soaked my filters overnight yet.
2005 HS Vanguard

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 10:29:10 am »

If you have never taken a shower in soft water it feels like you still have soap all over your skin after you've rinsed off.

How it will work on filters?  Beats me, hope your filters don't start smelling like shrimp cocktails.  LOL

Pretty tricky.  Hopefully not that same as the bath detergent: "Calgon! Take Me Away!  

Hmmm. Calgon and Water =  $002 a lb.  

Jumbo Shrimp $20 a lb.

I can see why a seafood market would soak the shrimp.  

Where's Sled junkie when you need him?  ;)  Folks need to be warned about this.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:32:10 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 10:55:14 am »
TSP or Dishwashing detergent - interesting.  I've been putting my Tri-X filters in the dishwasher with some detergent and then running them through an extra rinse cycle.  Result - clean filters, no suds or foam.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 11:42:42 am »
TSP or Dishwashing detergent - interesting.  I've been putting my Tri-X filters in the dishwasher with some detergent and then running them through an extra rinse cycle.  Result - clean filters, no suds or foam.

tonyp--Do you do this for your monthly cleaning instead of the spray-on stuff?  The one time I have cleaned my filters, I hosed them, sprayed them, hosed them, dishwasher--everything was great.
Thanks!
2005 HS Vanguard

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 01:08:08 pm »
Do a web search for "Trisodium Phosphate filter" or something similar.
There are alot of resources on the web relating to cleaning spa, pool, or any cartridge filters with TSP..

I was surprised when I searched this board I didn't find anyone who used straight TSP and hot water in a bucket to clean their spa filters.
Wait a minute, why would dealers recommend this over buying spa brand chemicals at their store? Hmmm..

Anyway, from what I read on the web it could be a good, cheap solution to cleaning filters.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 01:27:02 pm »
IT could be.   try it out for a few months and let us know.

I assume you are aware that many products don't use TSP because they are banned in many communities. Right?
You do understand the differnces between TSP and some the packaged degreasers, right?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:31:24 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:30:28 pm »
I'm not planning on soaking them every month, more like every 3 months, so I'll let you know in the spring.

anne

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 01:34:14 pm »
One thing I hate about cleaning my filters is the amount of water it takes to rinse them well (I grew up in a drought, and live in CA, so I can't even turn on a faucet without thinking about making sure I'm not wasting water ) and I hate  then dumping the bucket of cleaner down the drain. TSP vs regular cleaners....which would be less harmful? I think I remember someone asking about Simple Green here.....cannot remember the consensus, tho. Comments?
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 01:34:22 pm »
You do know that phospates create algie blooms right?

07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 01:36:37 pm »
You do know that TSP can bleach out redwoods, right?

You do know it can corrode metal. right?

Christ sakes, the same things you  complain about dealers and so called people parroting back what they heard, you do.

8-)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 01:39:45 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 01:43:19 pm »
Drewster this is great, keep it coming!!!!

I'm not so sure I'm following you regarding your TSP statements.

I mean I understand your facts, but how does that related to the use of TSP to clean filters.

As far as corroding metal? I'm not dumping it in my spa silly!  
And bleaching out redwoods? I'm not pooring it on my redwood deck!
It won't kill bacteria? Uh, it's purpose is not to sanitize my filter, just clean it.

Again, I'm not following you.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 01:59:27 pm »
Oh no no no. I was asking you. As you seem to know a lot!!!!!   I was hoping you can eleborate on those items and tell us what we should be doing. And if there where any downsides to it.  Yea. why would we be concerend about wood.  That's silly.  Or a filter that goes back into a body of water that we are soaking in....... (hey, I'm with you, the dealers here are just trying to F us over!).  Are there are concerns using TSP?  Why don't Spa dealers sell stright up TSP? What are the ingerdients of those over the counter cleaners?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:00:50 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 01:59:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42