What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trisodium Phosphate  (Read 21210 times)

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
Re: Trisodium Phosphate
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 11:56:09 pm »
well i used tsp from ace hardware put my filters inside normel size cooler and dumped 8 onces of the stuff in closed the lid for 24 hours dumped in the yard rinsed filters nice and white along with cooler no dead grass or any other problems at all.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 11:56:09 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 12:19:13 am »
Sounds like you have a good system.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 06:59:39 am »
Well I knew that they cut down phosphate usage in detergents.  I guess I will do my part and do something different because I do care, after all I quit using herbicides (weed killers for those without a clue) and pesticides years ago.  Maybe amonia (the pure natural yellow stuff) will do the trick. ::)
Steve
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 07:00:27 am by cola »

NWHotTubber

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 01:59:58 pm »
I have not used it on a spa filter before, but for those that want to soak the filter in something, plain vinegar is a great cleaner and would rinse easily... just a thought  :)

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 02:59:58 pm »
I have not used it on a spa filter before, but for those that want to soak the filter in something, plain vinegar is a great cleaner and would rinse easily... just a thought  :)

Hmmm interesting . . . I use white vinegar for a lot of cleaning. We try to run a pretty "green" household, and I find that most jobs can be pretty well covered by vinegar, baking soda, and CitraSolv (I'm not fond of licorice so can't really deal with the smell of Simple Green).

Yesterday was the one-month mark for my new J-220, so I'm looking at doing a filter clean, or at least a rinse, this weekend. We've been in the tub all but three or four nights since getting it. I use dichlor after use (1 tsp for 350 gallons), and weekly MPS shock. Had to add calcium at the beginning, and have used only a tiny bit of baking soda or PH up to keep the TA and PH pretty steady. Stopped using my favorite body oil (Neutrogena sesame if anyone cares) in honor of the new tub.

So far water quality has been great! I noticed a very slight cloudiness last night, so I figure a filter clean and maybe an extra shock is in order, but am hoping I can get away without the newbie water dump.

So . . . I would LOVE to be able to use the vinegar for cleaning the filter, if folks here think that's a good idea. (FYI our dishwasher is the Spouse, so that's not an option.)

Wondering, would a vinegar rinse affect the PH? What dilution/strength should I use? (I use 3 parts water to one part vinegar for glass cleaning.) How long should I soak the filter?

Any advice appreciated . . . thanks! :)

NWHotTubber

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 04:52:07 pm »
As far as vinegar effecting the Ph, it should not as long as it is rinsed well.  

We have used vinegar and salt to clean aquarium parts for years... all while maintaining ph levels where we wanted them.   We kept Discus and other tropicals and had to run different tanks at different levels and tried to do that without chemicals.  

Vinegar tip:  Cider vinegar is a little stronger for heavy duty cleaning  ;)  
(make sure to shake before using... good cider vinegar has sediment in the bottom)

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 05:56:11 pm »
Cool, thanks for the tip. Do you dilute or use full strength? Seems to me a bucket large enough for the filter would mean a LOT of vinegar!

Comments from others still welcome!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2006, 05:56:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42