What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rope lighting around the outside of my tub  (Read 6851 times)

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Rope lighting around the outside of my tub
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:30:01 am »
Does anyone's hot tub have rope lighting on the outside of the tub?  If so, what color is it?  I ask because I want to put some light on the sides of mine.  My tub sits on a deck and there are steps on both sides that lead to an upper deck which is at the same level as the top of the tub.  It's dark out on the deck at night and having some lights there would make it a whole lot easier to get in and out of the tub.  But I haven't much of an idea what color would be best.

Thanks!

Jim

Hot Tub Forum

Rope lighting around the outside of my tub
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:30:01 am »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
Re: Rope lighting around the outside of my tub
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:49:34 am »
I bought blue rope lighting from Home Depot last year.  It was dim as crap for what I wanted it for.  I found LED rope light a week later at another store.  It runs under my deck and steps and puts out a glow like the cars with the lights under them.  Look stupid under a car but cool around the tub.
Steve

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 10:03:38 am »
Jim,

I too have a step on my deck a few feet from the tub.   I investigated rope lights but opted for low-voltage stair lights instead.  These lights are recessed into the stair riser and have a baffle that puts a warm glow on the deck below the step.  All lights are controlled by a timer so I never forget to turn them on.  

They are a bit pricier and harder to install than rope lighting, but the finished product is IMHO much classier.

If you go for rope lighting, please only consider low-voltage lighting.  You wouldn't want a 110v source that close to your tub.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:56:53 pm by PotomacG »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 10:54:41 am »
cola....ya got any pics at night of the lighting?

we luv pics!

;)

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:24:49 pm »
Be careful putting 110V where water is!!!  Definately ensure you are hooked up to GFCI at a minimum.  You may be in for a shocking revelation...  If you put the lights on the bannisters, a wet hand can be a problem.  Probably not in the begingin, but over time.

My spa is on an enclosed patio.  We bought a bunch of icicle lights after XMAS last year and I hung them up around the patio.  perfect amoutn of lighting.  Not too light, not too dim.  I suppose, i could put a dimmer on as well.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 12:15:06 am »
Thanks to all who have replied.  To those of you steered me to 12 volts and warned me of the problems of mixing water with 120 volts, thanks very much.  I knew it was a bad idea and I hope someone else who reads this realizes it as well.  
More specifics.  The only time I plan to use them is getting in and out of the tub; it's a safety and convenience thing.  The steps are on both sides of the tub itself (they go to an upper-level deck that's at the same level as the top of the tub) and I want to be able to control them via the switch that controls the tub light. I've been in touch with the tub's maker, Hydropool, and they tell me it's quite feasible.  I'm also working with my dealer on it as well.

PotomacG, your idea is one I've thought of but the cost of the wet-location lamps is like $50 each.  If I put one on each riser, I'd need ten of them and that's a budget-breaker.  But are yours on every riser?  Would I really need ten of them?

lskarp, unfortunately, my tub is outside and sits on the deck so your icicle light idea just won't work, I'm afraid.

Cola, what color did you end up with?  Where did you get it?  

Again, thanks for all of your input!

Jim

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:17:49 am »
Reply to Q's
Blue
Led - uses virtually no power - good for Bonibelle
120 V and plugged into a remote that I switch on and off with a key chain unit
plugged into a GFI outlet
I will post pics soon
Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:23:23 am »
Hey Steve, I got solar lights, after seeing Anne's...They work fine so far...I know my husband would love the rope lights, but I would be the one crawling under the deck to run the wire to the plug...so I ain't even telling him!!! ::)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 11:59:33 am »
Jim,

My step is really a 3 feet square platform going between my deck and my enclosed porch.  There are two exposed sides to this platform and I ended up placing one light on each side.   I have around 10 steps from the deck down to the yard so I turn a floodlight on then I need yard access.  

Best of luck with your rope lighting project  ;)

Bama

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 02:52:10 pm »

I found decorative string lighting at Target
...it's copper fireflies (lightining bugs)  with a small light hidden inside the taill!  
cool looking.  I wrapped the lighting in the small potted trees on the deck.
It's great mood lighting and party lighting with a soft sillouette.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 02:52:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42