What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New tub/how to run it effiently.  (Read 2277 times)

RGF

New tub/how to run it effiently.
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »
Hi.  Our new tub will be up soon.  Does anyone know where to find info on how to set the temp (ie:  not there during the week, bringing it up on Friday,  let it cool down at night, this kind of stuff).  I am new to this and would greatly appreicate advice.  We have the tubin cold country, Catskill Mountains of New York state.

Sincerely,

Rick

Hot Tub Forum

New tub/how to run it effiently.
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »

Vanguard

Re: New tub/how to run it effiently.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:56:48 pm »
What spa did you buy?  
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:18:04 pm »
RGF:
We are relatively new about 3 months into tubbing.
Our tub is at our lake home in No. Wis. and only gets used on weekends.
While we're gone I have been setting it at 98F.
During the really hot months I found it actually gained a few degrees. Did a fairly easy cool down by removing cover running full jets with waterfalls full open. We liked to soak at about 100-101 then.
Most recently have still left the week long setting at 98F, and now with the cooler weather that's where it's at when we come on the weekend. Now soaking at 101-102, but the temp. comes up fairly quickly.
Plan to use it all winter and will probably keep it set at 98 - 100, will have to see what works the best.
Haven't seen much of an increase in electric bill.
Tub is outside on lower deck with a deck above, water cap. is 475 gals.
Hope you enjoy tubbing as much as we do. With the now cooler nights it really feels great ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:11:40 pm »
The best thing for having it at your house is to keep it at a set temp.

If your going to have it at a weekend house, then lower it. 220 volt tubs heat up at 4 to 5 degrees an hour but a well built tub may only lose 10 - 20 degrees in a week depending on the outside temp.

The only real consideration for an outside tub that's being left alone is what happens when power fails. As winter approaches most newbies forget that water can freeze and a tub without power for a few days in sub 0 weather is at risk. If your very isolated then you may want to think of how you might be able to monitor it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:10:55 am »
My quick thougths would be to keep it lower during the week for non use, but only a few degrees lower. Say keep it set at 98, and  when you get to the house, kick it up to you desired temp and whithnin an hour it will be ready.  

The only benifit I could see of keeping it up to say, 103 would be  If there was a power outage, those few extra degrees might buy you some more time., how much time, I really don't know. But I don't think you'd want to keep the tub running all week at max temp.

However, The downside of turning it down very low, say low 90's is; more time to heat up.and less residual heat reatined in the unit in case of power loss,.

However, I think your "real' question is;  Does it cost more to heat up 400 gallons of water 10 degrees once a week for a few days and then drop it down to 90, or does it cost more to keep it  consitent at a higher temp say 100??  I think that is more dependant on how well the tub is insulated, the cover thicknees and the outside ambient temp.

I'd recomend a weekly standby winter temp of around 98 for peroids when it wouldn't be used. This will alow for fairly rapid heat up, decent residual temp in case of power loss, and not having the heater running all the time in case of extreme cold and rapid heat loss.  

Any disagree, or am I ignorant/unaware  of something?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 10:11:32 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:38:44 am »
I always wonder how much actual difference this stuff makes.  
My instincts tell me it's not that big of a difference.
 With electricity, the key is time.  As in how much time will the heater run keeping the water at a constant temperature, vs how much time will it run if you adjust the temperature up and down.

While the temperature is "down" the heater should run less often than when the temperature is "up".  If you pay $0.10 per KWH for power and your heater is running at 5KW, you're hourly cost is about $0.50 to run the heater.

The trick is figuring out how many less hours per week the heater uses at one temperature vs another, and how long it takes to reheat each time.  If you use the spa once per month (shame on you) you may save some money.  If you use the spa daily, you might not save anything.

I just keep my water set where I want it and let the electric bill rack up.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 10:38:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42