What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dumb Question about Grit on Bottom  (Read 2961 times)

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
Dumb Question about Grit on Bottom
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:33:15 am »
We just got our Marquis Destiny on Saturday - it isn't hooked up yet b/c we are going from 100 amp to 200 amp but we were thinking about something.  Once the tub is filled, what do you do with the grit on the bottom of the tub?  (When people have dirt on their feet and get in the tub).  Probably a dumb question but we're new at this!!

Hot Tub Forum

Dumb Question about Grit on Bottom
« on: September 18, 2006, 08:33:15 am »

Repeat_Offender

Re: Dumb Question about Grit on Bottom
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 08:41:25 am »
Check this out: http://www.poolsinc.com/spawand1.html
and consider a small foot bath to rinse before entering your spa.
Bullfrog 562

bohms

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:58:53 am »
So is this SpaWand like a little vacuum?

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:18:10 am »
bohms,

That is correct.  It is a small non electric vacuum designed to get grit and small debris from the tub.

There are several brands out there IE: Spa Vac, and Vinny posted one from http://www.rhtubs.com/store/vacuumes.htm  that looked to come with a few more accessories.

I personally have a SpaVac, and it does a pretty good job of cleaning the bottom and seats.

Jr

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:23:02 am »
Yup.  The spawand draws up grit through a fine mesh filter via suction created by drawing a long sliding handle/pol out from the body (It siphons up the water and traps the dirt).

It works pretty good.  

Other products that might help are the grit getter, a squeezable bulb that draws the water into it and traps the grit and dirt.

The Grit gettter works while you sit in the tub, the spa wand works best if you stand outside the tub.  

Both work well.

I've found that if you are getting a lot of grit and dirt in your tub, it's worth it to find the source of it and correct it. Sometimes, with new tub installs it may be some extra sand / dirt around from the fresh construction site/area around the pad.

07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:25:16 am »
Bohms, My husband is a fanatic about entering the tub with clean feet!  The concern is not just the grit, but also the bacteria and other critters that could potentially contaminate your water. He makes us wear our flip flops out to the tub and we never walk across the deck to the tub with bare feet. He also keeps the steps really clean. The footbath is great for this time of year. In the winter, I don't think it would be good because water splashed out or dripped from the bath, could freeze and create a hazard when you get out of your tub. (assuming that you are in a cold weather area).
Support your dealer so they can support you!

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 11:06:09 am »
Paradise spa vac on rhtubs.com works like a charm.

Just cover the hole on the end of the handle with your finger, put the vac down where you need to vacuum, take your finger off of the hole and let it pick up the grit. Then lift the vac out of the water. The water returns to the tub through a filter that traps the grit, etc.

Steve

bohms

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 12:37:05 pm »
Thank you everyone for your input....sorry we're so clueless!

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 03:13:27 pm »
The best value in Spa Vac's????  Dollar store turkey baster...  Most of my grit kinda collects in a corner or 2..  I simply siphon up a squirt and pour one out for my homies.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 08:37:50 pm »
Google for Gritgitter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 08:37:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42