What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Interesting fact about spafrog  (Read 3491 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Interesting fact about spafrog
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:00:42 am »
Since I like to experiment and want to get the most clear time between uses so I don't HAVE TO go out and dose every other day, I am thinking about trying either N2 again or Spa Frog.

My first experience with N2, it didn't do anything but after reading countless people rave about this stuff I've been giving it some more thought. And at $20.00 on e-bay it's not too expensive.

Well, I went onto the Frog website and unlike N2 they recommend having chlorine or bromine in the tub at all times ... no wonder they claim they're better than N2!

The jury's still out on whether I'll try it or not.

Hot Tub Forum

Interesting fact about spafrog
« on: September 16, 2006, 09:00:42 am »

In Canada eh

Re: Interesting fact about spafrog
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:10:56 am »
no wonder they claim they're better than N2!

Better, who knows, at least the are honest ;)
Bullfrog 451

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:21:56 pm »
Vinny,

what makes the frog different is that they grind the minerals much finer than does N-2...It is my understanding that it takes about 2 weeks for the N-2 to break down and be effective in your spa where the frog takes less than 48 hours...They also use a little different silver base than N-2 and that's why you can use both sanitizers with them.....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:22:27 pm by Mendocino101 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:39:43 pm »
Vinny,

what makes the frog different is that they grind the minerals much finer than does N-2...It is my understanding that it takes about 2 weeks for the N-2 to break down and be effective in your spa where the frog takes less than 48 hours...They also use a little different silver base than N-2 and that's why you can use both sanitizers with them.....

Thanks Mendo!

I went on their website and couldn't find any info.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:42:12 pm »
I've used both extensively (with dichlor) and found no difference in the results.  I follow the frog's instructions of use with dichlor.  It is near impossible to keep the low level of chlorine that they recommend thus the addition after use works well.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 05:20:55 pm »
Tony,
thats whats different you can use the frog with both bromine or dichlor...it is good to hear that yo have found both to be equally effective...

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 07:54:45 pm »
Vinny -
Curious, So are you saying with your ozonator running 24/7 you still find you need to dose with dichlor every 1-2 days to keep your water clear?

I've gone 3-4 days(longest I've been able to stay out of the tub  ;D ) and my water is crystal clear when I open my lid. My ozonator is disconnected(will prop stay that way), however I do have a N2 stick under my circ pump filter.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 08:34:04 pm »
Vinny -
Curious, So are you saying with your ozonator running 24/7 you still find you need to dose with dichlor every 1-2 days to keep your water clear?

I've gone 3-4 days(longest I've been able to stay out of the tub  ;D ) and my water is crystal clear when I open my lid. My ozonator is disconnected(will prop stay that way), however I do have a N2 stick under my circ pump filter.

What I have found is my water doesn't react the way other people's water does. I have never gotten 4 days of clear water except when my tub had chlorine lock and when I shocked the tub to 10 PPM and then went on vacation. Even when I used N2, I had the same results as without it.

I go minimal dichlor with my water, I use about 1.5 PPM as a regular dichlor dose. I have gotten 2 days vs every other day with the ozonator running 24/7. After my water turned bad this last time I obviously didn't sanitize enough and the ozonator couldn't keep up with the load. My PH was 7.8 and I think that was the culprit - not enough killing chlorine ions initally.

N2 and ozone are things that can be argued since there's no scientific study that they work in a spa but there seems to be enough people who swear by them. In the case of my ozone - Del doesn't produce too much ozone and a "better" unit may produce better results. As I have said in previous posts - I need proof and I am cheap. Marginal success (going 2 days instead of every other day is marginal IMO) doesn't impress me if it costs a lot ($20 a quarter is a lot IMO).

I live with going out there in the morning, adding 1 teaspoon of dichlor every other day if I don't soak. I thought of trying bromine but I hate floaters in the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 08:34:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42