What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: " Dealers" Warranty/Trip Charges  (Read 25316 times)

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: " Dealers" Warranty/Trip Charges
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2006, 11:17:53 am »
Gary-
I agree. I think it's a horrible way to run a business.
That's why I don't care about hot tub dealers.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2006, 11:17:53 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2006, 11:21:04 am »
Gary-
I agree. I think it's a horrible way to run a business.
That's why I don't care about hot tub dealers.

The feeling's mutual. :D

Terminator (Hot Tub Salesman)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:21:16 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2006, 11:25:39 am »
Hi All,

This is my last reply on this post, if some of you want to keep arguing about this subject so be it.

This is what I have said in the past about how a post with replies can get so out of hand.

It looks to me that Reese would love to become a senior member so he/she just post posts with no regard to the subject matter. I originally asked for dealers and he/she rang in so many times it was not funny. Now he/she argues with Sledjunkie.

He/she loves that there Uncle took someone for a ride.

but thats.

just me
I enjoyed Reese's posts and found them relevant to the thread.  Some other folk's post? Eh, not so much.
I learned the hard way on this when I shopped for a car. Bought someplace else, and when the car had problems took it the dealer closest to me. Yea, they fixed it, but it wasn't a pleasant situation.

As I get a bit older, I am gaining more apprecaition for quality dealers and don't mind paying a little extra for the better dealer.  Thats not to say I'm not frugal, or not a wise shopper. far far from it. I am tenacious as much as I am loyal. :)  my car, my toys. entertainment.... It's nice going in, being called by name and knowing that if there is an issue, it will be taken care of.  

In todays market, quality service unfortnaltey is becomming a luxary item. I hate that, I disagree with it, but I recognize it as being a fact of life.  I don't shop Best Buys or Walmart, because the $ savings isn't worth my time or peice of mind.  Call me a snob, what ever, but it sure is nice to afford a higher level of service than the Walmart crowd.  8-)

But, that's
Just me.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:52:30 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2006, 11:57:13 am »
Some people only want a direct answer to their original question, and for them, any deviation, even if a relevant discussion by the regular members of the community, is unacceptable.

That said, I have an example to help go further off on a tangent  ;D

The last car I bought I had the option of 2 dealers. One very close to my home, and the other far enough that it would be inconvenient to take it to them for service. The one closer to my home was a couple hundred $ more.
I tried to pit the further dealer against them to get them to match the price, but no luck. They were upfront and assured me that if I bought elsewhere I would still receive the same level of customer service from them. Even though, I still chose to buy from them....... The reason? They offer one thing  only to customer that bought the car from them. Any time the car is in for service, they provide a free loaner.

At the time, I figured I might break even (and come out WAY ahead on convenience). At this point, my savings in rental car costs just may pay for my next car  ;D ;D ;D ;D

As far as treating buyers and non-buyers the same........ They were correct, both get treated about as horribly as you can imagine  ::)

Hi All,

This is my last reply on this post, if some of you want to keep arguing about this subject so be it.

This is what I have said in the past about how a post with replies can get so out of hand.

It looks to me that Reese would love to become a senior member so he/she just post posts with no regard to the subject matter. I originally asked for dealers and he/she rang in so many times it was not funny. Now he/she argues with Sledjunkie.

He/she loves that there Uncle took someone for a ride.

but thats.

just me
I enjoyed Reese's posts and found them relevant to the thread.  Some other folk's post? Eh, not so much.
I learned the hard way on this when I shopped for a car. Bought someplace else, and when the car had problems took it the dealer closest to me. Yea, they fixed it, but it wasn't a pleasant situation.

As I get a bit older, I am gaining more apprecaition for quality dealers and don't mind paying a little extra for the better dealer.  Thats not to say I'm not frugal, or a wise shopper. far far from it. I am tenacious as much as I am loyal. :)  my car, my toys. entertainment.... It's nice going in, being called by name and knowing that if there is an issue, it will be taken care of.  

In todays market, quality service unfortnaltey is becomming a luxary item. I hate that, I disagree with it, but I recognize it as being a fact of life.  I don't shop Best Buys or Walmart, because the $ savings isn't worth my time or peice of mind.  Call me a snob, what ever, but it sure is nice to afford a higher level of service than the Walmart crowd.  8-)

But, that's
Just me.  ;)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2006, 12:31:31 pm »
IT's the nature of internet forums to meander a bit. Sometimes its good. Sometimes not so good.  Being able to handle the s/n ratio on the internet is a good skill to develop. :)

I thought the original question was answered rather fully.  And to be honest, I too was upset with trip charges and such. I still am. But they exist and not just in the hot tub world.  Applancne repair and automotive come to mind. (Deductables on the warrenty, or trip service charges).  When it's $1000 repair, a $50 trip charge, or deductable isn't so bad,  on a $30 widget? then it sucks.  Being at the discretion of the dealer can be frustrating. I'd like to see somthing like 100% free service for say, the first year on some items.  I understand though, that would mean either raising the price to cover the liablity or using more exspensive components, also raising the price. In todays world of Best Buys, Mcdonalds, warehouse shopping it's a tough equation to balance.

I used to tell my clients

you can have it:

- Quicker,
- Cheaper
- Better

Pick any two.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Reese

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2006, 12:47:10 pm »
Some people only want a direct answer to their original question, and for them, any deviation, even if a relevant discussion by the regular members of the community, is unacceptable.
In this case, I think he only wanted posts from those who agreed with his whine.  But that's just me. ;)

I had a little time to kill over the past couple of weeks, so I signed back on with an express intent of joining the fray.  If I ended up on the opposite side from the Just Mes, Altazis and Sledjunkies of this group (and even Bonibelle and Mendo from time to time ;)), and they didn't appreciate my posts, I'm fine with that -- although I wish everyone would realize we are just sharing opinions, and not take things personally.  IMO, a lively discussion is what makes a board like this worth visiting.  It's been fun, but I have to head back out of town this afternoon, so much to Just Me's relief, I won't be around much for awhile.  I just wanted to make sure he didn't get some warped satisfaction, thinking his caustic comments drove me away.

To WSD, Vinny, Spatech, In Canada, Doc, Cola and the others whose info and humor grace this board, it has been a pleasure, whether we agreed or disagreed.  Hope to make it back soon! :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:03:14 pm by Reese »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2006, 01:21:33 pm »
Hi All,

But, that's
Just me.  ;)
Best Buy is simply full MSRP unless its on sale. not really a place to save at but they can be very convenient.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2006, 01:26:27 pm »
Hey Doc,
Even though I might not agree with you, I'm still buying from you because your prices are the best.
 ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2006, 01:26:34 pm »
Hi All,

But, that's
Just me.  ;)
Best Buy is simply full MSRP unless its on sale. not really a place to save at but they can be very convenient.

Best Buys is the seventh circle of hell.  
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2006, 01:36:58 pm »
When I was shopping for my new computer, I didn’t shop focusing on the best price, nor did I buy it at a large retail chain, or even on the internet.

Instead I spent hundreds more and bought my new computer from a small local computer store (I support my local businesses) because they are a great dealer, with great reputation, and provide me the customer service and support I need.

NOT!

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2006, 07:39:23 pm »
OK so now you all got me interested . . . somewhere back there in the rubble, someone remarked about a customer being SOL if their original dealer went out of business or stopped carrying a particular maker.

Please tell me that's not so . . . question for all you dealers, wouldn't the company honor the warranty if I sought warranty repairs from you in that case?

For the record, I've got nothing against "sales" people - I negotiate contracts as a big part of my job, and have a lot of respect for folks who are knowledgeable about the service they offer or the product they sell.

Plus, one thing I've come across is that in some cultures, "bargaining" is actually a SOCIAL activity - it's a way of establishing a relationship with somebody, getting to know who they are. Some of the folks I deal with appear to do it for FUN - they ask for the stars, if they can't get that they'll push for the sun, the moon and an asteroid or two, and never stop asking if Alpha Centauri can't be thrown in for free. Meanwhile, I'm learning about their family, what they do for a living, their home village in Nigeria, etc etc etc.

I used to think they were just trying to wear me down and would get PO'd. As soon as I realized it's social, but NOT personal, I've been able to relax and enjoy my job more.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2006, 08:11:18 pm »
I visited a dealer (and I'm sure a lot of dealers do this - see Stuart's post) that said they dropped a manufacturer but will continue to service the tubs they sold. Now since we're talking warranty repair, I don't know 5, 10 or 15 years down the line.

I did ask the question to one manufacturer and the reply was they would get another spa dealer to repair their spa if the selling dealer went out of business. After reading how little they pay, I can't see a Sundance dealer fixing a Hot Springs because the closest dealer went out of business.

My concern when I bought my tub was that my dealer was the only Artesian dealer in central and southern Jersy and what happened if they went out of business. But I bought the tub and more dealers have popped up.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2006, 08:26:47 pm »
I did ask the question to one manufacturer and the reply was they would get another spa dealer to repair their spa if the selling dealer went out of business. After reading how little they pay, I can't see a Sundance dealer fixing a Hot Springs because the closest dealer went out of business.

Yeah I wasn't necessarily thinking of an HS dealer servicing my Jacuzzi - but even if we're talking a different dealer of the same brand, well it would seem to me that I'd just transfer my "loyalty" as a customer, along with any of my service calls, so it's in the new dealer's interest to help me out.

I can see the dealer's dilemma though, and what it amounts to is the company can say what it wants about a warranty, but it's the dealer who has to back up those words (as we all learn in Hot Tub 101 class).

Finally - I did just read over on BS a whole bunch of folks (or at least two) salivating to get the "warranty work" on a certain brand of tub, just for the sake of . . . ummmm . . . scientific curiosity.  ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2006, 08:54:06 pm »
You bring up an interesting point - being loyal to someone.

I bougt my tub but don't buy chems from my dealer. I will buy filters when the time comes and I did want to buy different jets for a certain seat but they said they won't fit, which I know is wrong. I don't buy my chems because they are kind of expensive IMO. If they were a little expensive - no problem, we all have to make a buck but they seem very expensive. I don't think it's the dealer per say but maybe she doesn't move a lot of stock and needs to sell it at a higher cost. I would like to support her business but I also need to save money somewhere and chems are the place I chose to save.

What exactly is loyalty? I bought my tub from her because it was the best value for my money. I will send anyone to her because they are a great dealer but it would cost me a fortune to buy chems there. I believe I'm loyal.  If you give your business to a particular business hopefully they will remember when the time come when you need them. I believe a good business will do that. My dealer said they will take care of their customer first before servicing a non customer which is probably the right thing to do!

Off topic but maybe the same - I treat people who work on my house pretty good - I always give out the names of people who have done good by me. I used a HVAC contractor that put in a new heat and AC unit in 3 years ago - I always tell people to give out my name. A friend needed a new AC unit and said my name - the contractor remembered me. I give him business and hopefully when the day comes that I really need him. he'll be there for me!

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2006, 12:14:48 pm »
You bring up an interesting point - being loyal to someone.

I just think it's good business to develop relationships - that's what I try to do in my own work, I'd be sunk without them.

So when I was shopping, I actually went to two different Jacuzzi dealers, and ended up purchasing from the one who's a little further away (40 min drive as opposed to 20 min), because he gave me a much better price. Funny thing is I ended up dealing with two different sales people, and I made sure they each knew I had been talking to the other.

Last week I went back to check in, buy the calcium increaser I needed, and give them some "jazz" about not getting the rubber duck they promised to throw in (which of course I promptly received ;) ). I might go back for a cover lifter (which I didn't think I would need but now regret not getting).

I still have extra chems from my attempts to revive my old tub, so I don't expect to need any more for quite a while. I may or may not buy those from them because of the distance and/or price. However, I will go there for filters and other things I may need, and of course I will rely on them if repairs are ever needed.

All in all, given how helpful they were, and how GREAT the delivery manager was, I'm happy to send business their way and keep going there myself. I'd prefer the experience to be positive for them as well! I'd also like to know that if they ever go away, however, I'd be treated as well by ANYONE who sells their brand.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2006, 12:14:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42