What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: " Dealers" Warranty/Trip Charges  (Read 25315 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: " Dealers" Warranty/Trip Charges
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 11:00:25 pm »
If someone owns a HotSpring Spa and they moved it to East Texas from Timbuctu, we would not charge them a dime under warranty.  If it is out of warranty, they get charged $60/hr plus parts, same as everyone else.  If they live in East Texas and they go buy a HotSpring Spa in West Texas, the West Texas dealer can service it.  We won't.

It is at our discretion but we always try to be reasonable. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 11:00:25 pm »

JUST ME

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 11:10:05 pm »
There you are Tex  ;D

But per my first post if I got a hot tub in colorado ( or wherever and move it into your area would you charge me a trip charge to fix it under warranty?

Thanks for your time T

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 11:14:56 pm »
No sir, we don't do trip charges for spas under warranty.

If you lived down the street from my store, and you went and bought one in Colorado because it was on sale, and you moved it down here yourself, we would not service it.  The Colorado dealer would be responsible for it.

You're welcome. :)

Terminator

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 11:29:28 pm »
What if, the averages show that on average there will be 1 warranty repair required.

Now say GE sells the item for $140 but charges a $10 trip fee for warranty work. Whirlpool charges $150 for the item, but nothing for the trip charge? The odds are, you're going to pay the exact same for either item........ BUT, GE's marketing department feels that their policy gives them a marketing advantage, by being able to offer a lower initial price.

That's really all it is. It's marketing. The consumer is going to pay for warranty repairs one way or another. Either in the initial cost, or in possible added trip charges.

As far as manufacturers paying dealer for warranty work..... You bet they do....... But frequently it's a pittance. Here's a real life example;

I have a friend that's an independent service tech. He charges $70 for the first half hour, and then $20 for each additional 1/4 hour. This is what he has to charge to stay in business

I wont go into all the cost associated with operating a business, but some are insurance, phones, licenses, vehicle costs, 15% SSI tax blah blah blah... If you've never had your own business you would be surprised what it costs. Anyway, he also does warranty work for a few manufacturers. One specifies in their warranty that the consumer may be required to pay a trip charge for warranty repairs. This manufacturer pays $45 for any warranty repair (there are some exceptions). $45... This isn't enough for "my friend" to cover his costs of doing business. At $45, he's losing money. He charges a trip fee as the warranty says is applicable.

Manufacturer #2 does not charge for travel  and pays a little more, but not much. They pay $65 per warranty repair (same exceptions). It's almost his basic minimum charge, but a little less . The way he makes up for it is he has up to 2 weeks to show up for the warranty call. Hopefully he'll have another call in the same area, close by, that he can do at the same time thereby reducing his travel time.

BTW, most dealers are required to perform the warranty work if they want to carry that line of spa.

It really all boils down to the manufacturer trying to cut their costs, to reduce their prices, to be more competitive with the guy across the street. One manufacturer does it, then another follows suit, then another. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, and you don't have to buy a spa that charges a trip charge. Just remember, if you wont be charged a trip charge for warranty work, you're simply paying upfront for it in the initial price of the spa without it being an itemized cost.

PS, I'm not a "dealer" per say, and have never charged a trip charge. I am though a logical thinking person  ;)
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JUST ME

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 11:48:53 pm »
Hi Tex,

I'm so --cken confused.

So if I got the hot tub from you no trip charge (this is a "Hotspring" hot tub)

I buy it when I live in Colorado and move into your area 6-12 moths later, and it breaks down, you as a hotspring dealer you can charge me a trip charge to fix it or not fix it at all ( now I have to get the colorado company to fix it). I never said anything about a better deal ( see what Im saying about bubbles in blood stream to effect the brain in the next few paragraphs)

Sorry to say this but I dont think the posts are read closely enough before they are replied to, maybe to many bubbles in blood stream to effect the brain.

Yes I'm getting a little testy, but I cant get a straight answer,  but I see this in a lot of the posts that appear on this site. So much confusion maybe its the ozon

but that

just me

JUST ME

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 12:03:49 am »
Dr. Spa,

If you dont know already, I know about overhead if you would have read my last posts closely. ( bubbles in the blood stream)

but you still cant answer my question directly ( oh I just got it he's a lawyer)   and he gets 1/3 of the suit to win.

but thats

just me

ps please dont post unless you have a reasonable answer for this bbbbbbssssssss

pss Dr. Spa

Please let me know what appliance company charges you for a trip charge for a appliance that is under warranty,   your last post was BS  just in 3 words or less tell me what applaince company chages you a trip charge.

and for the third time tell me what appliance company or manufacturer will charge you a trip charge to fix your appliance.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 12:19:55 am by JUST_ME »

Reese

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 12:19:13 am »
Maybe we all have "bubbles in the brain", but it seems to me that you are getting straight answers to the best of our ability, just not the ones you want, and if anyone appeared not to read the previous posts closely before responding, it was you.  Nonetheless, I'll take one more swing at it from a buyer's perspective.

Do I like the idea of trip charges:  no -- especially if they aren't fully disclosed at purchase.

Would I be mad about it:  No.  It seems to me that if I know up front (and I should be able to by reading the warranty) that some brands/dealers do this, I am free to decide whether to purchase or not.  Now, if it was hidden from me, or the dealer was trying to charge something not provided for in the contract -- I would indeed be mad.  If I'm too lazy to read the contract, that's on me.  I won't be happy about it, and I'll probably argue, but in the end... it is on me.

Would it keep me from buying a given spa that I liked best:  not likely.  I view a warranty like I do other insurance -- I don't expect to use it, but I want some protection in case I was wrong.  I definitely don't buy something inferior just because it has a great warranty.  In your GE/Whirlpool example, I'd buy whichever seemed the best choice overall, but if quality/features/price/appearance are identical, yes -- I'd pick the better warranty -- but it usually seems to me that things with better warranties cost more.  The company usually claims that this is because of better quality, which allows them to offer a better warranty... but could it be that you are just buying a better insurance policy? Hmmm.

As Doc said, warranty costs are a part of the price of the spa, and more complete coverage probably results in a higher initial price of the spa.  When some dealers inevitably chime in that they don't charge trip fees, you would need to know their selling margins to know if they are truly giving their customers any more than a dealer who charges a fee.  

Since this is important to you, luckily you hit on it before you finalized a deal.  Now you can be sure to ask about it before you buy, check the warranty to make sure the dealer is telling you the whole story, and factor the answers into your decision.  Good luck to you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 12:30:09 am »
Dr. Spa,

pss Dr. Spa

Please let me know what appliance company charges you for a trip charge for a appliance that is under warranty,   your last post was BS  just in 3 words or less tell me what applaince company chages you a trip charge.

Me thinks you didn't read my post very closely  ;D. Never did I say any appliance company charges me a trip charge. I did however attempt to use an annalogy based on your own example.

Even if they did, I couldn't answer your question as the company I've purchased most of my appliances from has 5 words in their name  ;D :o :P ;D ;D

ps, well said Reese.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JUST ME

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 12:32:07 am »
Hi Reese,

Thats just it, can you show me in any spa companys warranty  that its says there is a trip charge for a hot tub that was bought in a a different city of state

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 12:46:06 am »
Hi All,

( Is Ford still Ford)  If I buy a new car no matter what Ford dealership I take it to if it is under warranty I get it fixed for free. They dont charge me just because I live in a different  city.

just me

Does Ford come to your house?  Or, do you take your car to the Ford dealership?  You can't really take your spa "in" , but I am sure if Ford went to your house you would be charged a trip fee.

Reese

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 12:47:08 am »
Sorry, can't help you on that one.  The only warranty I have access to is for a 7 year old tub, and I'd have to dig to find it.  I would imagine the section that addresses it would talk about the "dealers right to charge a reasonable fee for service call" and it would likely not just be for tubs moved out of state.  I'd expect that the dealer you buy the tub from would have the right to charge you, too.  They might waive it for their own customers, for the reasons I addressed early in this discussion.

You are going to have to ask some dealers for warranties and read them over.  Since it appears this topic has come up with your D1 dealer, I'm sure he can show you where it is provided for in their documentation.  Perhaps Terminator can also show you the clause that allows them to refuse to service a tub purchased out of market.  I'd also check a couple of mfgrs websites to see if they publish their warranty.  Good night!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:02:57 am by Reese »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 02:41:41 pm »
call the local dealer and find out. It's the individual dealer's preference. We don't.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2006, 05:49:36 pm »
Me thinks you need a spa to relax!!

Term did answer you - HIS dealership does not charge a service fee if you bought a spa in Colorado and moved yourself and your spa to his area. His dealership WILL NOT service your spa under warranty if you purchased it in Colorado to get a better deal. After warranty everyone gets charged the same. How anny dealership could know what's going on in your life - I couldn't tell you.

But another Hot Spring dealer may charge a fee.

I think it's because in your business you don't see the fee. As Doc said, it probably is built into the price of the appliance. At $900 for a washer, I would think it is too.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »
Hi Tex,

I'm so --cken confused.

So if I got the hot tub from you no trip charge (this is a "Hotspring" hot tub)
[glow]Correct.  We DO NOT DO trip charges for spas under warranty.[/glow]

I buy it when I live in Colorado and move into your area 6-12 moths later, and it breaks down, you as a hotspring dealer you can charge me a trip charge to fix it or not fix it at all.
[glow]We WILL NOT charge you a trip charge as long as the spa is under warranty.[/glow]

just me

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 08:25:34 pm »
And the last one......... You live next door to Term and drive to Colorado to buy a Hot Spring Spa to get a better deal. Term will NOT service you.........

Yes I know, there's an Ole Meaness joke in there, but I'm taking Sunday off.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2006, 08:25:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42