What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I am looking to buy a hot tub. So many options....  (Read 6015 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: I am looking to buy a hot tub. So many options
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 11:16:58 am »
Ok. cold climate, outside tub? It  must be a 220v set up.

Don't go with an "off brand" thier insulation methods are questionable.

Remember, a tub that says "seats 6" really means there are 6 aviailble seats. not "comfortable seating for 6 adulta at once.   I also like hot tubs that have cool off seats. These are great in the cold winters (I am in MA), They allow you to raise youself somewhat out of the water, without getting completely out. I like it a lot in the winter and just something for you to consider.

Get a budget togehtor.  ARtic has a good rep, but also a bit pricey. Seems folks either love the seating or hate it. They also have some options on thier ozinators.   I can't comment oh Jaquizz, but I am sure someone here can.

Loungers are stricly a personal choice.  I don't have one, nor care for one. I prefer to have more seating in my tub.  Try (wet test) some tubs out that have them.  Decide for youself.  I once herd a statement from a dealer saying the mjority of folks who are buying thier second tub do NOT go for the louger models.  Don't know if that's true or not.

:)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 11:21:59 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 11:16:58 am »

hymbaw

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 11:26:22 am »
I am deciding between an Arctic Spa or Jacuzzi.  I want something that is quiet since it will be sitting under my sons bedroom window.

If those are your two choices I would pick the Jacuzzi. The 24 hour circ pump eliminates the need of the main jet pumps turning on and off all day for filtration. Your son won't hear a thing.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 12:21:31 pm »
Don't know where you are in Canada.
We bought a Canadian made tub about 3 months ago (Pacific Spa - Saturn model).
We live in No. Wis. and one of the reasons for the Pacfic is that it is supposed to be desinged for cold weather. High R values for tub and cover. Haven't gone thru the winter yet, so time will tell.
So far it has worked great, good comfort,  no problems, and seems to be high quality. It is a deeper tub and at 6'2" fits me well. It does have different height seats. Also very well designed entry steps.
Pacific is made by Aber Mfg. in B.C., I think they may be a smaller mfr., and may not be well distributed in the U.S.. No idea about their Canadian distribution.
You can find info. at www.pacificspas.ca.
We have the 24/7 circ. pump, ozonator, and serenity lighting. Also have the waterfall, which we only sometimes use.
Did not get the lounger, find it nice to move around to the different seats and jet options.
Hope you find what your looking for, and enjoy tubbing as much as we do ;D

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 12:31:45 pm »
Again, I disagree.
You can't tell me dealers can provide wet tubs for every model in a line.
No way. Most dealers don't have the room, or simply don't have the inventory for that.
That is no reason not to buy from them if they can't provide you with a wet test.
Let me clarify my point...no way would I buy from a dealer that would not let me wet test ANY tub (and this happened to me with one dealer as I was spa shopping).  It is certainly reasonable to not expect every model of every manufacturer the dealer may carry to be available for wet testing but for a dealer to allow no wet testing at all is unacceptable.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 01:00:20 pm »
Thanks for the clarification.

However I still disagree. Some dealers just aren't set up for wet testing, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy from them. So you're saying because you can't wet test any tubs in a store, means the dealer is not going to be reputable, provide good service and support as your requiring.

When I was shopping, I was focused on finding a good quality tub (manufacturer), and dealer had no bearing for me. Only requirement for me was that they were an actual authorized dealer of that manufacturer.

Then again, that's just me!
 ::)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 01:41:37 pm »
If any person wants to wet test ANY spa we sell, we will make arrangements to get it set up and filled for them, if it isn't already.  I keep 8 different models up and running, our other stores have 8-10 models up and running.  If the customer is willing to invest the time and effort to try our spas, we are willing to accomodate them.  Our competitor's locally do not offer this service.  YMMV.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 01:53:30 pm »
Some dealers just aren't set up for wet testing...
Then, IMHO, they just shouldn't be in the business.

Terminator makes my point EXACTLY.  You KNOW you are dealing with the right people when they will go out of their way to provide that level of service.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

anne

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 02:35:45 pm »
I am deciding between an Arctic Spa or Jacuzzi.  I want something that is quiet since it will be sitting under my sons bedroom window.  In terms of price range, I  want to spend a moderate amount.  I cannot afford a lavish model but I am aware of the saying "cheap man pays twice."

I cannot comment on Jacuzzi at all- did not even wet test them, as there is no dealer near me. I have an Arctic, it sits directly outside my bedroom, but about 15 feet from the house. I have an old house with single pane windows,  and there are both regular windows and a big sliding glass door between me and the tub at night. If I happen to be awake, I "notice" the tub coming on for a filtration cycle, but it does not wake me up if I'm asleep. I do think that the Arctic might be a little louder than other tubs that I wet tested while I'm sitting in it with lots of jets running, but from outside the tub, I dont think it is that different. They do NOT have 24 hr circ pumps, which concerned me a bit initially, but no longer. ('Course, I have nothing to compare to, but I have no issue with my water quality or with filtration)

I do think that Arctics seem overpriced if you look at "MSRP" but if you can work out an acceptable price, it is a quality tub. Mine was a floor model that the dealer REALLY wanted gone, so that made it work for me.

On the subject of loungers- you gotta wet test. I was sure that I wanted one, but my boyfriend and I could not find one that was really comfortable for us both. The arctic model that I went with (Summit) happens to have a couple really deep, reclining "captains" chairs that almost make me feel like I'm in a lounger, so that became our compromise. I still sort of wish that we had a real lounger with leg jets, but until I get a spa company to custom make something for me, i guess I'm outta luck.

Good luck!
Dance like nobody's watching

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 04:57:13 pm »
Just because a dealer will not let you wet test (or can't let you wet test) doesn't mean you should't buy there. That's ridiculous.

If the price is right(make sure it is), go for it.

Of course first you would want to wet test the tub your about to buy at another dealer(if possible)

You are welcome to your opinion. I don't think it is the least bit ridiculous.

Terminator and others would seem to agree.

I would not buy a tub in the future that I did not first wet test. If a dealer is not able to let you wet test a specific model but is willing to let you wet test others that might be one thing. But if a dealer will not allow for wet tests at all I will not do business there. Period.

I can not know if the price is right if I have not wet tested any more than I will buy a car I have not driven. Others may want to "go for it" if the price is right and that is OK.  Might turn out fine for them.

In addition it suggests to me that this is a dealer that I would not be able to deal with in the future and time and time again here on this site and others it has been made clear that the relationship you have with the dealer after the fact may be almost as important as the spa itself.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Bama

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 05:54:06 pm »
I am presently shopping for my first hot tub.  So many models and so many options. Which option(s) are  important.  Is there any advice that you hot tub owners wish someone had told you before buying?  Thanks.

Just went thru same process.  I had no knowledge of how to buy a hot tub.
 I relied on the advice I got from the helpful people on this website.  It paid off.
I agree with the post about evaluating how YOU would use the tub for example, to lounge or not to lounge?  Is the tub for pleasure or serious hydrotherapy?

The greatest advice I got was to wet test.
WHY WET TEST???? Because it identifies potential problems, for example; I tried different brands and found that not every tub fit me.  Something I would not have known just sitting in a dry tub.
I discovered that your body size (tall or short) makes a difference where comfort is concerned.    My tall hubby loved the Sundance Maxxus, however I'm petite and I thought I was going to drown in it!  LOL   The jets of some tubs just didn't hit the trigger points I need.

Deciding factors for us:  in addition to the amount of insulation and the quality of the motors, I found that  even tho I favored the slick surface shell, it scratched more easily than the textured, or at least  the scratches show up more on the slick surface.   Also, we chose a light colored shell, because we know with our hard water at some point we will probably have a water mark (the devil you say?).  Yes, your scum may be less visible on a lighter surface!!!  (of course you will clean it up as soon as you see it develope, right?)
Tub Exterior: there is faux wood and real wood, or at least one brand has a new faux stone look exterior cabinet, I think that's the Caldera or Cal Spa can't remember.  Real wood has to be maintained with protectants applied periodically.
Go on line and check out your manufacturer.  In the "search web" box, type in, "problems with _______" or complaints with _____________".  Fill in the blanks with the brand name.  Run another search in the same way, but fill the blank with the store's name.  This was eye opening to us.
We narrowed our decision down to 3 tubs...
Brand A,  after checking online we found the company had several complaints.
Brand  B,  jets were in wrong place and wasn't a comfortable fit.
Brand  C: The chosen one, LA Spa model Paradise H-2.
Why?  Several reasons:
There was a local dealer, the jets were where I needed them for optimal hydrotherapy as recommended by my physical therapist,  there are jets on areas such as calves, wrists, feet, on the sternoclemastoid muscle, and all the discs in my back. (I had a hard time finding jets to massage my upper sternoclemastoid muscle).
There are two loungers, one that fits my hubby and one that fits me.  
Plus, the tub is large enough with an open well in the center where I can do my water aerobics.
And, I was sufficiently convinced that service help would be readily available.
We ordered the faux wood cabinet with a light colored textured shell.
Of course, my needs aren't your needs, but hopefully this will give you some things to consider.
One more thing, don't be timid about negociating a lower price.  All they can do is say, "no".  By going to a different store, we were able to save $ on the EXACT same tub.

Good luck,
Bama
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 06:36:09 pm by Bama »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2006, 05:54:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42