What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Name Confusion - HELP!!!!  (Read 3518 times)

cbee

Chemical Name Confusion - HELP!!!!
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:48:12 pm »
I ran out of the MPS that came with my new spa.  I ended up at Leslie's Pool and they didn't know what MPS was so they sold me Potassium Peroxymonosulfate which they said is the same as Monopersulfate.  I use Nature 2.  This stuff smells different than the MPS and I've used is a couple of nights now.  Is it the same?  It's the only non-chlorine oxidizer that they sell.

BTW, the dealer where I bought the spa says it isn't the same.  I don't know if they are just not happy that I purchased the stuff somewhere else, but they were closed.

Thanks for your help.

-cbee

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Name Confusion - HELP!!!!
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:48:12 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Chemical Name Confusion - HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:13:50 pm »
There's MPS and then there's buffered MPS. Buffered means it has a neutral PH.

I used Sea Klear MPS and found an old bucket of MPS in my garage - it's Leslies stuff.

This stuff is buffered and has a clarifier but the stuff I have is not. From what I can tell, unbuffered MPS has more active oxygen in it to oxidize organics. Look at the old bottle and compare.

It should work about the same. There are some people who feel that name brands are the best, this is not always the case.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:48:22 pm »
MPS is MPS is MPS. But it does have two common names, Potassium Peroxymonosulfate and, ummmmmmmm , my brain died, can't remember at the moment........... Regardless, only one company actually makes it DuPont. Many companies buy it from them and repackage it. Some add fillers, some add products to counter balance the effects it has on pH and TA.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 06:58:28 pm »
The dealer is just trying to sell you his chemicals.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 07:54:32 pm »
Monosodium persulfate................ brain kicked back in........... man, sucks getting old, eh chas?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:17:42 pm »
The two brands I am familiar with are Spa essentials (active oxygen 3.2%) and SeaKlear (Active oxygen 4.7%).
My personal preference is the SeaKlear chlorine-free shock.

They all pretty much do the same thing. "Shock" the water and help your sanitizer do it's job. You may have to use more of one brand compared to another brand depending on the percent of active oxygen. Some brands may effect the PH more than others (I think this is what buffered or unbuffered refers to). Also, some shock has chlorine already in it as well.

I can see how it could be confusing. I'm sure it will all "clear up" with the right shock.
*Bad pun intended* 8-)

The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 02:27:22 pm »
Since there is a Leslie's just around the corner from me I went there to pick up some MPS. Got home with a bottle of fresh and clear and realized the clarifier is in there.

After using it for a while for my weekly shock it seems my tub is on clarifier overload.

I am finishing up the bottle but I'll definitely avoid this product in the future. You should only occasionally need clarifier and it's not good to routinely add it.

RHtubs here I come for some pure MPS.

Steve

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 02:36:57 pm »
Some MPS has less active ingredient than others.  Oxysheen from BioGuard has about 30% less MPS in it than the Hot Spring Freshwater stuff, but Bioguard's Spa Shock is very close.  They all work pretty well.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 03:03:11 pm »
I will be in the market for some MPS soon. I was going to go to leslies and pick up some of that fresh n clear stuff(as I know it's buffered and that's what I'm looking for).

It has clarifier in it too? That's weird. Is that really bad to add that every week?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 04:23:53 pm »
The dealer is just trying to sell you his chemicals.
Of course the dealer wants to sell you products.  Is there something wrong with that?

And, as has been written, different chemical companies repackage the duPont product and add different things to it.

Is asperin the same thing if you use a pure asperin or a combo drug?  I think not.  And, depending on the use, the pure may be better or the combo may be better.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 04:31:50 pm »
Here's the description from Leslie's website:

Rapidly dissolving, fast-acting

Non-chlorine, non-bromine formula

Burns off organic contaminates

Used weekly, the built in water clarifier and pH stabilizer will keep your spa water sparkling

Ideal for use with chlorine, bromine, or Nature2 sanitizers  

I believe most on this board would recommend only use clarifier when absolutely necessary.

Steve.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 04:31:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42