What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Downgrading??  (Read 3429 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Downgrading??
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:58:57 am »
Hi,  Just wanted opinion on the following:

I have a bigger tub now (7'7" x 7'), and need more space on our patio for our new patio furniture.

We use our tub much less than I thought we would.  Especially my wife, as she doesn't like tubbing on really cold days (in Canada).  We do very little "party" tubbing, and more entertainment tubbing, as in when another family is over, the 4 adults go in, and then the kids.

I'm am considering a 6'4 x 7 tub that would fit our needs just as well.

The dealer I bought from would give me a very generous trade value against the new tub. (essentially what I'm asking for it privately)

Am I crazy??

Thanks

Mark
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 10:59:51 am by golferm »

Hot Tub Forum

Downgrading??
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:58:57 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Downgrading??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 11:04:36 am »
I don't think your crazy per se.  The whole deal is for your comfort and enjoyment.  I'd be curious though on running the numbers...what you paid for the tub, how old it is,  what you are getting and the additional costs.(including removal, delivery and electrical connnections) And before doing anything, perhaps comming up with some other ideas....expanding the patio/deck (might cost more but give you a huge bang for the buck with the best of both worlds, plenty room for the furniture, still have the tub and perhaps room for a new grill? ;) ) perhaps relocating the spa or re 'orentating it? ...I dunno. just thinking out loud.  What other options are there?

I guess it's all a matter of how much dough you got to play with and what you really want?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:06:11 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

golferm

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:15:13 am »
Hey Drewstar, thanks for the great input.  Yes, good questions, all of them.  In Canadian dollars, I paid around $7800 for the tub, initially, and would take about a $1300 hit in resale value plus the amount to upgrade to the tub I'm thinking of.  Roughly $2500 in total hit, dollar wise.  We don't have a lot of room to expand the patio.  I'm thinking of getting some of those exposed aggregate patio pavers from Home Depot, which would give it another 12" or so, around the outside of the patio.  Moving the tub really isn't an option, due to the size of our lot (small).  

I'm also thinking this smaller tub would cost less, energy wise to run, as it's only got 1 pump (Jacuzzi J-325).  

Thanks

Mark

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:20:18 am »
And the cost of getting a new wife that prefers large hot tubs over fancy smancy patio furniture?. :o

How old is your wife   um errr....how old is the tub?  ;)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 02:18:46 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

golferm

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:21:14 am »
Exactly!!  The tub is a year and half old, so that's why the dealer is still giving me decent money for it.  

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 11:23:44 am »
And the cost of getting a new wife...

The line at our house is...

It's cheaper to keep her.   :)

golferm

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 11:42:47 am »
I believe that he'd be delivering it and hooking it up included in the price.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:59:20 am »
Plus the cost of the new furniture too.   Golf buddy,  with all the dollars added in, you might be buying the most exspensive patio furniture in all of Canada. ;)

I'm still struggling with the fact that the 15" you will be gaining will make that much difference? Who's wearing the pants in this familly? Huh? Tell her to  pick out a smaller table for crying out loud! !  (then duck and run).  ;)

$2500 bucks for 15 inches of deck space....I dunno. But then again if you aren't happy then it's worthless.  

I'd wait a bit..(end of season anyhow, right? You wont be usingthe patio furniture till next May? Of course prices might go up.by then...)  

Anything else on the patio that can be compromised/removed?  It's gotta be the tub?  

15 inches. Damn it.  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 12:36:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 12:37:21 pm »

$2500 bucks for 15 inches

15 inches. Damn it.

It's amazing what some women will pay for 15 inches ...  :o 8-) ;D

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 12:51:26 pm »

$2500 bucks for 15 inches

15 inches. Damn it.

It's amazing what some women will pay for 15 inches ...  :o 8-) ;D

Yipes!  ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 12:53:48 pm »

Yea, but vinny, those are "Canadian Inches".  So it's more like 5 inches U.S.  ;) 8-) ::)

What's the old joke?

Why are women bad at math?  Because they've been taught that this (hold hands 6 inches apart) is 12 inches.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:44:29 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 02:15:10 pm »
And the cost of getting a new wife that prefers large hot tubs over fancy smancy patio furniture?. :o

That would be a good way to free up some room on the patio, since she would take half of the tub with her in the settlement.

golferm

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 04:45:30 pm »
Totally get where you are all coming from!! Hey cooltoy, are you from Calgary?? (Go Flames / Stamps)

Anyway,  the harsh reality of buying any depreciating asset is that it actually does depreciate, so whether I decide to do it now or in two years from now, I still lose money.  

I do have an appointment booked for tomorrow for some potential buyers to come look at my tub, so we'll see what happens.  I would be in a much better position to bargain with my dealer w/o my trade in.

Thanks

Mark

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:37 pm »
Hey cooltoy, are you from Calgary??

You bet.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:45 pm »
And the cost of getting a new wife...

It's cheaper to keep her.   :)

Honey, now listen to me. You're too old to live in a trailer.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 05:32:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42