What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why not 2-speed pumps?  (Read 17648 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Why not 2-speed pumps?
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:23 am »
Awaiting our Optima and I do feel like it's going to be a great tub, but one thing I really wish it had is 2-speed pumps.  I think in most cases I'd prefer to use the low speed for a low-noise, gentle massage.  Why would a manufacturer NOT use 2-speed pumps?  When my pumps eventually go could they be replaced with a 2-speed version?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Why not 2-speed pumps?
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:23 am »

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
Re: Why not 2-speed pumps?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:15:44 am »
Great question. We just purchased Optima and are awaiting delivery also.. and I've been wondering why only one-speed pumps as well.   :)

Reese

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:11 am »
I have two 2-speed pumps on my spa, and we use the low setting at least 50% of the time.  I personally wouldn't want a spa without them.  Unless they are an option on an Optima, I'd be surprised if the controls would support adding them as a replacement (which should be a loooong way off).  If you want two speed pumps, keep shopping!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:19:56 am by Reese »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:27:59 am »
As an owner of a 2003 Optima, with a 2 speed pump, I'd say don't worry about it- you're missing nothing.

First of all, only 1 of the main pumps is two speed- the other one is one speed.
The two speed pump's only purpose seems to be for filtering.

I have a filtering system one generation removed from what you guys have on the newer Optimas.  

I have a pleated filter, and attached to it is a smaller, disposable, microfilter.

The circ. pump, which runs 24/7 pulls water constantly thru the microfilter.
The microfilter is supposed to be tighter than the pleated filters.  

The 2 speed pump uses the low speed to pull water thru the main pleated filter, presumably to get rid of bigger debris.  This filter cycle can be set up to be whatever I want, up to 24/7, but mine is set for 30 minutes per time, four times per day.

The 2 speed pump powers one "jet group" which in my spa consists of 3 of the corner seats plus the 2 whirlpool jets.  This pump can run this jet group on either speed, but on low the massage force is really low.  I always run this pump on high, and adjust each jet down if I don't want the full blast.  

I think when Sundance went with the current filter, all disposable, it did away with the need for the 2 speed pump.  

So really, you're missing nothing.

Brewman

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:31:18 am »
No need for them on the 880 Series Sundances.

Most of the time the "low" speed  on a two speed pump is for filtration cycles. In the case of the 780 Series Sundance tubs the "low" speed is used to skim the surface of the tub(the Laing circ. pump doesn't draw enough to lower the wier door).

880 Series tubs have the high volume circ. pump that pulls enough water that the weir door drops for continuous skimming and filters over 50,000 gallons /day.

As far as getting a "light" massage, the jets on the Optima are infinately adjustable. You can turn the jet pressure down with the pumps on "high"'
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:37:53 am »
Exactly what I was trying to say, except that you did it much better!
Brewman

Reese

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 11:42:58 am »
Certainly, some manufacturers use a two speed pump for filtering.  Other brands seem to offer them to provide the option of sitting in gently moving water.  While I certainly make use of the massage available with the pumps on high, I find the pumps on low very relaxing, and much more conducive to conversation.  Having to turn down each jet to slow the flow would be more hassle than I would want.

Other than cost savings, is there another reason (e.g. longevity, repair history) that 2 speed pumps aren't used?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:43:40 am by Reese »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 11:59:58 am »
Other than cost savings, is there another reason (e.g. longevity, repair history) that 2 speed pumps aren't used?

They cost more as you'd indicated and to some degree their longevity is a bit less (single speed motors tend to hold up better, not a major difference but you asked).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 12:55:33 pm »
I have a spa with 2 2-speed pumps, 1 1-speed pump and a 24 hr circ pump. My jets are all independently adjustable and I also have diverters between the 4 corner seats that can adjust the pressure from one seat compared to another.

I personally like the 2 speed pumps.  I prefer a lighter massage while my girlfriend likes to peel her hide off as it were. To have to adjust each jet (each corner seat has at least six separate jets, one has 10) every time between my use and hers would be a real pain in the ass, especially since I can just punch a single button and get a perfect adjustment between high and low. At least the neck jets in 2 different seats both have their own diverter to control the pressure.

The only thing I don't like about my spa is that I can't run one pump at low speed, affecting two of the corner seats, while running the second pump at high speed for the other two corner seats. To not have built in this capability into this spa seemed remarkably dumb to me, and I have told the dealer AND the manufacturer that. Not that it does me any good now.  :(

I wish my third pump was also 2 speed (it is the volcano jets and the foot jets in the dome in the center of the well).

So for a high end spa NOT to use 2 speed pumps also seems dumb to me and I probably will look for this capability in future spas. But that is just me. Your mileage may vary...  ::)
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 01:06:50 pm »
My two therapy pumps are variable speed. I absolutely love this feature.
I wet tested alot of tubs, and by far I like this feature the best from Artesian.
I can dial in my jet pressure just the way I like it, depending on my needs.

I'm surprised to see the Optima has only 1 speed pumps.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 01:22:30 pm »
As stated by those who actually own the Optima with the one 2 speed pump, the 2 speed pump is not really all that necessary for massage- it's possible to reduce the force of the massage by adjusting the jets- you get exactly the same massage.
You have essentially infinite adjustment at the jets, all the way down to shutting them off completely- thus negating the absolute need for the low speed.
 And only 1 pump on the Optima was 2 speed- the other pump was one speed, and it controlled half of the jets, but again by using the jets and diverter valve you can reduce the massage affect down to next to nothing without the pump being slowed.

The point is that in the Optima's case the owners of the new ones won't have their jet action impacted by the absence of the one 2 speed pump.

Other spa brands/models I can's speak for- this is about the Optima specifically.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 01:24:24 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 01:32:02 pm »
My two therapy pumps are variable speed. I absolutely love this feature.
I wet tested alot of tubs, and by far I like this feature the best from Artesian.
I can dial in my jet pressure just the way I like it, depending on my needs.

I'm surprised to see the Optima has only 1 speed pumps.

Now there is an idea that I think I would like! Variable speed would be a nice option as long as the pumps are reliable.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 01:45:05 pm »
Good question regarding reliability of the pumps. I heard they were very reliable. But only time will tell.

I think they're made by GE. But I could be wrong.

Maybe Vinny knows.

Reese

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 01:51:24 pm »
As stated by those who actually own the Optima with the one 2 speed pump, the 2 speed pump is not really all that necessary for massage
And as stated by those who actually own tubs with good two speed or variable systems ;), it is a very nice feature -- among our favorites! :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 01:51:55 pm by Reese »

Reese

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 01:53:11 pm »
I heard they were very reliable.
Who told you that, a salesperson? ;) ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 01:53:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42