What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Corrosive?  (Read 8145 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Bromine Corrosive?
« on: September 11, 2006, 04:14:45 pm »
I was having some work done on my spa today and the owner of the Spa store I bought from was talking to my wife.  She mentioned that we have switched to a Bromine Floater and are very happy with it.  He said this is a bad idea because bromine is very corrosive and will make our jets wear out quicker.  I was under the assumption that as long as my PH is correct then bromine or dichlor will work the same.  Unfortunately I was not there to talk to him.  Any opinions?

By the way, Beachcomber spas use Waterway jets

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Corrosive?
« on: September 11, 2006, 04:14:45 pm »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Bromine Corrosive?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 04:41:20 pm »
Bromine is no more corrosive than, dichlor... just keep your Calcium Hardness up.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 05:38:01 pm »
He doesn't know what he's talking about.  He might of been thinking of Baqua or some sort of biguianides (sp).

Reese

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:47:59 pm »
 He said this is a bad idea because bromine is very corrosive and will make our jets wear out quicker.  I was under the assumption that as long as my PH is correct then bromine or dichlor will work the same. Any opinions?
Sorry to disagree, Giraffe and Markee... but IMO the dealer has a point.  He was probably referring to the fact that the pH of most bromine formulations is around 4.0.  (Dichlor is just slightly below neutral -- 6.7)  If you don't monitor your pH, it could drift down to an acidic level and indeed be corrosive.  However, as long as you check and adjust the pH on a weekly basis, you'll be fine.  Also, since bromine effectiveness is not as sensitive to pH as chlorine, you can run your pH a little higher to give you more cushion (as long as the water is balanced so calcium doesn't precipitate out).

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:56:07 pm by Reese »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:56:31 pm »
 He said this is a bad idea because bromine is very corrosive and will make our jets wear out quicker.  I was under the assumption that as long as my PH is correct then bromine or dichlor will work the same. Any opinions?
Sorry to disagree, Giraffe and Markee... but IMO the dealer has a point.  He was probably referring to the fact that the pH of most bromine formulations is around 4.0.  (Dichlor is just slightly below neutral -- 6.7)  If you don't monitor your pH, it could drift down to an acidic level and indeed be corrosive.  However, as long as you check and adjust the pH on a weekly basis, you'll be fine.  Also, since bromine effectiveness is not as sensitive to pH as chlorine, you can run your pH a little higher to give you more cushion (as long as the water is balanced so calcium doesn't precipitate out).

I agree with ^^^, what I have seen through the years is folks that use a bromine floater will go through more heaters, pump seals... Most people will not keep on eye on the pH and the bromine will bring it down. Then the water looks nice and clear so they think it is good, but clear water does not always equate to good water.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:54:32 pm »
So the general consensus is if I keep my PH in line I will be fine.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:24:24 pm »
He doesn't know what he's talking about.  He might of been thinking of Baqua or some sort of biguianides (sp).

Hold on!  Baqua is not corrosive to quality plastics.

Low pH will typically effect heater elements before they attack jets.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 08:43:08 pm »
Yes marks
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Reese

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 09:14:22 pm »
So the general consensus is if I keep my PH in line I will be fine.
Yes.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:04:46 am »
Using bromine you might have to take a more active part in keeping your water in balance.  When I was on bromine, I had to keep boosting the PH and alk- the bromine ( and maybe the MPS too) was constantly pulling the reading down.

Also, the plastic jet parts,the wier gate, and the floater got this brown staining- it wiped off pretty easily but now that I'm on dichlor that staining is gone.  
Is that a side affect of bromine?  Or maybe just the bromine I was using.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:05:41 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 11:49:32 am »

Maybe corrosive is not the correct word but biguanides products are hard on plastics (Lexan) and pump seals. It is the hydrogen peroxide in the shocking agent and if the consumer is a little heavy on the shock they can crack jets, light lens, detoriate pump seals very fast.

And if you think Lexan is not a quailty polymer, you need to share some of them drugs you are taking.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:51:45 am by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 01:28:43 pm »
My spa (Optima) was allowed by Sundance to be used with Baqua products, and we did for the first year we owned the spa.  
Unlinke some spas, Baqua didn't invalidate warranty coverage specifically.
I did notice that something happened to the cover over the light- little plastic slivers peeled away from the edge.  Maybe the baqua attacked that cover- it hasn't gotten any worse since we switched away from baqua.
Brewman

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 04:27:57 pm »
Does bromine offgas like chlorine?

Baquaspa is hard on polycarbonates.  They do nasty things to the old sta-rite pumps.

BIGPOPPA

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 04:35:04 pm »

Low pH will typically effect heater elements before they attack jets.

your right biquinides are not corrosive..............

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 01:36:19 am »
Just keep pH balanced very often.  Might try floating frog system.  Minerals contain calcium carbonate for pH.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 01:36:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42