What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Weight Distribution  (Read 5815 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Weight Distribution
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:11:18 am »
When I had my deck built for my Optima, it was recommended and built to handle >100 LBS/SQFT in the area that the tub was going to go.

The other day at the dealer I saw the bottom of an Optima and it was
actually supported by 3 - 2x4s (about 7 1/2 ft in length) under the footwell. They ran parallel to the front and around the edges it looked like a 2x2 strip.

Thus the entire weight of the tub is supported  on the wood.  Even though it appears to have a complete flat bottom.

Makes me wonder if I over built my deck (not that Im upset that I did)and also if other manufacturers do this?

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

Weight Distribution
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:11:18 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Weight Distribution
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:23:18 am »
Can't answer what other mfg.s do, but I don't think you overbuilt your deck, at least not to any significant degree.  Full of water, an Optima weighs almost 5000 pounds, then allow for up to another 1000 pounds if you load it up with 6 or 7 people, and you are spreading out that weight over the roughly 65 square feet of deck that the spa sits on.  When it comes to stuff like this, you can't go wrong overbuilding.
 You never know what the future may bring- someday maybe you'll want to install that huge Maxxus, or something like that- if so you'll be set to go.
You made a wise choice, I think, to build your deck to handle that load.
Brewman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:32:55 am »
Most spas are supported by structural members of some type.

The reinforcement of your deck is to accomodate the 5,000lb+- dynamic load of spa and water. The dynamic load portion refers to the water and it's moving characteristics. Your spa is NOT a fixed weight on the deck. It's moving.

A quick story.

Years ago, a prospective spa buyer was referred to us from his neighbor. He had a raised ranch home, with a deck off the kitchen/ slider aprrox. 10ft off the ground. He wanted the spa on the deck. I told him to add a beam in the middle with two six-by-six posts and lagbolt the deck thru the sill. He said he puts his boat under the deck and the beam I was asking him to install would hinder the boat. After some discussion, he said he didn't need to add the beam, and he wanted the spa anyway. I told him(I hate saying this) I wouldn't put MY spa up there. He took offense, bought the spa from someone else.
    Within a month, the neighbor who referred him, came in the store. The new spa ripped the deck from the house and crushed the boat!

Feel glad you did the reinforcement necessary.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

96SC

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 01:58:36 pm »

Within a month, the neighbor who referred him, came in the store. The new spa ripped the deck from the house and crushed the boat!

Feel glad you did the reinforcement necessary.

Don't you just love an 'I told you so' story.
 ;)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:43:54 pm »
I am not upset that I had my deck built the way it was.

I was just more surprised to find that the weight of the tub is supported by the limited area of the wood vs a total flat bottom.

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:43:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42