What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: question for all salesman and others  (Read 4816 times)

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
question for all salesman and others
« on: September 10, 2006, 12:32:46 am »
Ok first of all i have three compound fractures (thanks to ho chi min)Doctor friend says goto family doc get referral for orthopedic doc.(did that no prob).Then tell doc how much hydrotherpy has helped and work on getting a prescription for bigger tub with jets positioned on the entire leg area.this is not a scam i really have much pain and vicodain works for awhile but anyway has anyone been through this or has anyone ever sold a tub under these circimstanses?thx

Hot Tub Forum

question for all salesman and others
« on: September 10, 2006, 12:32:46 am »

Reese

Re: question for all salesman and others
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 12:54:13 am »
Are you hoping for insurance to pay for the tub, or just a tax write-off?  I have seen some posts here about getting sales tax waived with a prescription.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 07:08:56 pm »
If you can get the prescription(difficult to get at best), then go talk to your accountant. If you don't have an accountant, get one.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:32:13 pm »
I have had workmans comp pay for tubs for customers before. And I have helped set up tubs for folks who had won large lawsuits.

But most of the time if the doctor prescribes a tub you just go buy it and add that to your medical expenses on that year's tax form. Not much help, really.

The sales tax thing is big - if you can get a medical doctor to prescribe, in some states you can waive the sales tax. I don't know if that works in Caleefornia, in fact I think they will tax you for even asking...

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 08:28:31 am »
Yup- Sales tax expemtion might be your best friend.  Otherwise if it's a perscription, some of the cost of the spa might be deductible on your Federal (and possibly state) income tax forms, but the federal tax deduction for medical expenses has a hurdle- essentially your first chunk of medical deductions you have to eat, and it's whatever is above this amount is deductible.  The amount is based on your income, I think it may be 7.5%- so if your family income is 100K, you'd subtract $7500 from your allowable medical expenses, and whatever is left, you'd deduct.  
 I'd consult a tax professional- the entire cost of you spa might not be allowed.
Brewman

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 01:23:05 pm »
In Florida, if you present a prescription with some pretty specific wording on it, Sales Tax is not collectd on the purchase.  It will save you approx 6.5% in Palm Beach County.  As far as an allowable medical deduction on your taxes.  You woudl be subject to the 7.5% floor for sure, and your comfort level with deducting this sort of equipment from your taxes.  I wonder if there is some sort of proration if other's use like a home office expense where you prorate based on other use or have to exclude all together if you use a computer for instance for business and non-business purposes.

I woudl look to stay away from the feds, but the sales tax, defiately take advantage of if you can.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 02:20:17 pm »
That's where a tax pro's opinion comes into play.  Say you get prescription for a spa for medical therapy.  Are you limited to a one person spa (Sundance Solo, for one), or could you spring for the mega sized one that fits 8 people?  (Maxxus, for example).

I could see this type of deduction possibly raising some eyebrows at the Eternal Revenue Service.

Brewman

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 12:12:14 am »
well goin to orthopedic next tues just have to wait and see.also i use premire HMO so afterwards gotta check their policies on such things.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:58:28 am »
Not familiar with HMO's, but if you belong to one you should be able to find out what their position on spas is.  
 Probably depends on your long term need for therapy.  Coupled with the HMO's quest for meeting their obligation to treat you as appropriately as possible, within certain financial boundaries.  
 One possibility is that you get approved for a spa and they shuck out some money for you to get one.  
 Another possibility is that they authorize visits to a physical therapist.

Let us know what they say.  My health insurance allows for certain medical equipment, but there are limits and caps on what they'd spend, and on what is and isn't allowed.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 08:58:54 am by Brewman »
Brewman

dkersten

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 01:07:47 pm »
Wow, I never thought of deducting the cost of a hot tub for medical use.. Plan ahead at the beginning of the year, and if you have a "cafeteria" plan or one of the newer medical savings accounts you can use that to pay for it and avoid taxes altogether.. heck that would save 30% or more.. I wonder if hot tubs are on the list of allowable deductions.. Tums, Bandaids, aspirin, and even birth control are allowable.. I can definately see hot tubs..

Good thing about a medical savings account or cafeteria plan is you dont have to worry about the 7.5%.. and it comes out of your paycheck throughout the course of the year..

I dont have sales tax here in Montana, but saving on income tax would be huge..  at least worth looking into.. too bad I have already spent most of the money in my medical savings account this year..

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 01:17:43 pm »
I hadn't considered the possibility of a hot tub thru the cafeteria plan here at work.
Lots of people are paying for lasik that way, as well as for other things that our health insurance doesn't fully cover.  
 Maybe a hot tub would be considered if it was prescribed by a doctor.

It would also be possible to deduct on the federal itemized deduction form, if prescribed, but subject to the 7.5% medical hurdle.

No harm in asking, that's for sure.
Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 02:15:22 pm »
Somehow I think a $7900 spa might be treated differently that a 79 cent roll of tums

The feds also have a few qualifiers that will frequently get a "deduction disallowed" response. "The prescription is for one person in the household?" "How many people will the spa seat?" "6 you say?" This obviously is an item that is not being used, the vast majority of the time, for it's intended medical purposes..... deduction disallowed"......"Now then, lets look over the rest of your tax return. in fact, lets look at your returns for the last 7 years."  ;D

I do not, nor have I ever worked for H & R Block. Though, I do have an acquaintance that is a retired IRS auditor. Be sure to check with your own tax advisor.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:21:27 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:12:16 pm »
Not familiar with HMO's,  
I am. Basically, they will not give you anything, at any time, no matter what. And if they decide they WILL give you something, they will decide what brand, how much, and when you get it.

Other than that...

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bama

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 04:16:07 pm »
Ok first of all i have three compound fractures (thanks to ho chi min)Doctor friend says goto family doc get referral for orthopedic doc.(did that no prob).Then tell doc how much hydrotherpy has helped and work on getting a prescription for bigger tub with jets positioned on the entire leg area.this is not a scam i really have much pain and vicodain works for awhile but anyway has anyone been through this or has anyone ever sold a tub under these circimstanses?thx

I have a prescription for my hot tub.   It is the ONLY prescription for a hot tub my doctor has  written in over 30 years of practice.   Doctors just don't hand these out.  But, when they do...don't  hold your breath expecting insurance to pay.
  I could see if you were a plaintiff in a lawsuit, where the tub might be listed as a part of the compensation sought...good luck on that one.  
 Otherwise, the prescription MAY allow you to write off the tub or a portion of the tub or some sales tax.
 Best ask your accountant, because it depends on how you file.
And....I bet the prescription sends a red flag to IRS, so be prepared.  :o  

No, I'm not an attorney, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!   8-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:35:15 pm by Bama »

Bama

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 04:24:47 pm »

another thing....
Have you been determined, disabled?  The rules change for the disabled...check with your accountant.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 04:24:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42