What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet Tested Arctic with my 3 & 6 Year Old  (Read 3055 times)

Utah

Wet Tested Arctic with my 3 & 6 Year Old
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:43:52 pm »
I really want to love these tubs.  They are clearly very well made.

- Strong/solid covers
- Beautiful wood skirts
- Well insulated
- Piping looks well thought out and connected well
- Gotta Love the perma floor

I have read most of the archive posts by others who have done much more research and love all the engineering and thought that went into these tubs.

But...I have to say.....they just aren't that comfortable for me and my family.  Seems like they are too shallow and my body just doesn't "cozy up" to them well.

The kids of course had a hooting good time!  The dealer was great with them and kept them entertained in the tub while explaining everything to my wife and I.  They wanted more cool down seats and cushions on the shallower seats so that they could rest as well.  Hot water, bubbles and steam -- a kids dream!

My wife is a mechanical engineer and boy was she impressed with the construction and thought that goes into the tubs.  But she also did not feel it was as comfortable as others.  She loved the beefy pumps, the see-through, overfit tubing and the perma floor.

I had to laugh at the Bullfrog's "rodent proof" bottom.  A sheet of plastic stapled every 6 inches to the bottom of the tub.  Wonder what that will look like after deliver and a couple years?!  (I like their tub just had to chuckle at this one feature...).

I'm really disappointed they didn't fit us better.  The other tubs we have wet tested are also built well but not to the degree as Arctic.  The dealer offered us a pretty competitive price on the tub and he probably has the best reputation of all the dealers in my town.  But I think I'm gonna have to pass based on the wet test.

Has anyone else initially feel the Arctic didn't quite fit them right initially.  Did you end up going with the Arctic and if so, how do you feel about it now?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Wet Tested Arctic with my 3 & 6 Year Old
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:43:52 pm »

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
Re: Wet Tested Arctic with my 3 & 6 Year Old
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:19:47 am »
Did not wet test Arctic.  Wet tested Hot Spring, Caldera, Marquis and Sundance.  Its been several months now but I preferred the Caldera over the others.  I REALLY wanted to love the Sundance Optima but just didn't.  I thought the footwell would be awesome but it didn't impress me.  I guess that's what wet testing is for.

What other brands/models did you test?

Marc

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:38:49 am »
I had to laugh at the Bullfrog's "rodent proof" bottom.  A sheet of plastic stapled every 6 inches to the bottom of the tub.  Wonder what that will look like after deliver and a couple years?!  (I like their tub just had to chuckle at this one feature...)

Utah,

Where does this come from,  I have a Bullfrog 451 that has a ABS sheet covering the bottom, ABS inserts to cover the corners and a ABS pan that seals the bottom of the equipment compartment from critters.
    As far as the number of screws/staples holding it in place,  who cares, it could have one in every corner its not like its going to move.

Opinions are fine but lets keep them separate from facts.

If you are trying to compare a Bullfrog to a Hot Spring, Sundance or 400 series Jaccuzi thats just not fair,  they are not marketed as such, but they are $1000 to $2000 less.  In my opinion they are one of the best "middle of the Road" tubs on the market
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 08:40:10 am by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

fatman

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:18:23 am »
I have the same opinion of Arctic. They are well made and the covers are better than any other manufacturer. The only negatives are #1-The price. My Arctic dealer wants 10k even for the 7x7 models. #2-The layouts of the 7x7's are a little strange. Arctic needs to redesign them.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 10:38:24 am »
What model did you test?  We wet tested the 8' Arctic Tundra (extreme jet package) and we really liked it.  We have two kids 8 and 13 and there were seats that "worked" for them.  I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2" and we did not have any problem with the depth of the tub.  I will say tHe seats are MUCH more contoured than most spas but that was no a problem for us.  I was impressed with shell construction, "forever floor" &  cover... and with the variety of the jets.  On the down side it seemed noisier than the other spas we tested (FF).  As far as comfort and features this tub was on our "top 3" (along w/ Caldera and Sundance).  That said, as impressed as I was w/ Arctic to me it look/feel like an @ $8,999 tub (retail 13K, reg price 10K.. "special sale this weekend" 8,999!).  We ended up purchasing a Sundance Optima for $200 less.  The Sundance fit us a little better as there is more variety of seat levels and we loved the foot jets.  

I know how you feel about being disappointed after wet testing.  We had very high expectations before testing the Hot SPrings and were dispappointed after testing.  (Lack of seat hights for the kids and I fought to stay seated the entire time in almost every model we tested.)  

If you only tested one Arctic model perhaps you could test a few others to see if another fits you better?  Otherwise keep shopping and wet testing.  YOu'll find one that's perfect for your family!  Good luck.  

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 05:22:57 pm »
Arctic is constructed somewhat like a Clearwater or Coleman... you may be interested in checking those out as well. Best of luck and hope you find one that fits your family right! 8-)
The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

anne

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 07:23:13 pm »
I'm really disappointed they didn't fit us better.  The other tubs we have wet tested are also built well but not to the degree as Arctic.  The dealer offered us a pretty competitive price on the tub and he probably has the best reputation of all the dealers in my town.  But I think I'm gonna have to pass based on the wet test.

Has anyone else initially feel the Arctic didn't quite fit them right initially.  Did you end up going with the Arctic and if so, how do you feel about it now?

Thanks

I have an Arctic, and love it, but if it does not fit YOU then it doesn't matter how much anyone else may love their tub. I completely understand your quandry, as I was in a similar but opposite situation: I loved the Arctic (and ultimately bought it), but "wanted" to love the HS Envoy as I trusted that dealer more and HS is much more established in my area than Arctic. I tried to talk myself into the HS, but when in came down to it, I knew they were BOTH very well built, and I went with the one I liked better.

There are a number of high quality brands out there, and while I have to agree with you that Arctic is well made, dont be lead to believe that there are not other good ones out there equally good, just different. From my experience and from reading here, it seems that Arctic's highly moulded seats are a love-it-or-hate-it feature- and it it works for you, GREAT, but if not, keep looking.
Dance like nobody's watching

Utah

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 11:16:54 pm »
The Arctic we tested was the Summit.

In-Canada-eh:  Your point is an important and one that I was trying to get folks thoughts on.  There are different ways to build a tub.  Arctic's bottom is bomber proof but is it overkill?  Your comment on Bullfrog's rodent proof bottom is helpful.  Bullfrog chose a different way to accomplish this goal and it sounds like your experience has been that it works very well.

(BTW, my family's favorit tub so far has been the Bullfrog).  I was VERY surprised to see how nice the tub worked for my family.  We wet tested the 682.  The kids liked the wide cooldown seat and my wife and I enjoyed 4 or 5 of the "jetpacks".  Great idea.  Initially, I thought it was gimmicky but I really came around and found that I enjoyed the jetpacks and like the idea of being able to change them out later on.  Who knows but so far Bullfrog is the lead for my family.

Thanks again for the comments.  Any other suggestions for a high quality built entertaining tub?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:05:48 pm »
hello, I have to say, I wet tested the sumit and did not like it.  I found the seats a little to angled which made the seats uncomfortable.  I then tested the tundra and boom.  Bought it before I even got out of the wet test.  It is wonderful.  Two deep therapy seats, with cool down seats (3).  My 3 year old son loves the tub and the cool down seats.  We fell in love with the contoured seats of the tundra and how each seat focuses on a different part of the back.

As for movement, yes they are contoured seats in the tundra but they are wide and not a tight fit.  Tundra is one of the deeper tubs on the market and my best friend at 6'4" can get in the tub and love fitting into the seats with no issues.

Tundra in my opinion is the way to go, you will be very happy with it.  I too, loved the construction and design, however, just remember all tubs in this range are usually of good quality.  Go with what feels right, however, consider the vibe you get from your dealer and the support they offer.

I love Arctic spas, and have been a happy owner for over the past year.  No complaints as of yet, maybe, just wishing for winter all the time.   Good luck and keep me posted.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 09:19:31 am »
If the model you wet tested didn't feel right, I'd move on.  Personaly, I think comfort is a make or break crititerion.  :-/    

Artic does have other models that might fit you better. I'd also consider looking at other lines and manufuctuers as well. Artic is far from the only manufactuer out there.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 09:28:50 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:05:19 am »
I dedcided not to wet test the Arctic due to dry fit.  Each time I sat in the tubs, I cracked the back of my head above the head rest on the tub.  I asked about adjusting them and they told me that they knew of the issue.

Try Hot Springs and Caldera, they were much more comfortable.  Jacuzzi was ok.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:07:56 am by hottbpete »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 10:05:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42