What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Optima - filter questions (filters 101)  (Read 2594 times)

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
Optima - filter questions (filters 101)
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:18:14 pm »
For anyone who's using the Microclean 2 filter - what are your thoughts on it?   Are they better than regular filters?  Do you need to clean them?  Can you clean them?   Our dealer says they last about 8 months.  I asked him about cleaning, he said no need to clean.  Just use for 8 months and replace. (or can use regular filter).

Based on what I'ver read here I'd like to clean if possible.  Sounds like they can get quite nasty.   Also I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to to purchase a second filter to have on hand.  

Our new Optima should be here in about a week and a half.  We're new to hot tubs so I apologize sorry if this is a stupid question. :-/  Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Optima - filter questions (filters 101)
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:18:14 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Optima - filter questions (filters 101)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »
Not a stupid question at all.  I have the previous generation filtering on my Optima, but it's my understanding that the new filters are not to be cleaned, just replaced.

I did some rough analysis on the cost of the way my filters and associated costs work, vs the new way, and there really wasn't that much of a difference.  
Filter cleaners aren't free, and even cleanable filters need to be replaced every few years.  

Not sure what the actual lifespan of those new filters are, but I've heard 6 to 9 months.

I spend about $80 per year on my filter setup, including 4 bottles of filter cleaner, and 4 small disposable microfilters per year.   Plus the periodic cost of replacing the cleanable filters.  Each one of those runs me about $60, and they last about 3 years.

I believe you can install a cleanable filter in place of your disposable, but consider you'd want to have a couple, so you could swap one in while you are cleaning the other, plus purchasing cleaning solutions.

Your system as it is might not be that much more expensive after all.
And you get rid of a cleaning chore- not a huge deal, but it's something to factor in.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 02:27:54 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 03:13:22 pm »
Patty, It is not possible to clean the Micro Clean 2 filter because of the dense material it is made out of. As Brewman said, it is roughly the same cost to buy the micro clean 1 filter 4 times a year and buy filter cleaner and spray out the other one. Regardless, you can't use the Microclean 1 setup with your new Optima, it is not retrofittable. If you are the type who wants to Spray and soak, there is a filter you can use. It's called a 488, and it was used in the 780 series until this year. It's the same size, but it's made of the pleated regular filter material, not the micron type. In my experience, most people like the little maintenence with the newer filter, but there are always a few who like the old style, which is more maintenence but will last at least twice as long. I have the older style Micron setup like Brewman, and I personally like to be able to spray out the big part of it. Anyway, I hope that helps!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 04:30:51 pm »
Regardless, you can't use the Microclean 1 setup with your new Optima, it is not retrofittable.

That was covered a while back and someone stated that in the SD manual it showed that there is a filter replacement for the new Microclean filter as well. That was confirmed by a SD dealer who at first refuted that until he checked on it and then indeed backed it up. A good filter should last 3 yrs and with that the standard filter would be cheaper even accounting for filter cleaners (having a spare is a great idea BTW). For ease of use the Microclean would certainly fit the bill.

My only issue is the idea of the waste of disposable filters because I am a diehard, card carrying recylce junkie and have trouble joining in with the throw away society we've become (yes we used used cloth diapers on my kids, I drive 4 cyclinder manual transmission vehicles and I turn the shampoo bottle upside down until it's empty and then add water to get out the last drop).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:18:32 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Reese

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 04:49:29 pm »
we used used cloth diapers on my kids, I drive 4 cyclinder manual transmission vehicles and I turn the shampoo bottle upside down until it's empty and then add water to get out the last drop).
Funny, I'm a also a big reduce/recycle/reuse guy, but I always rationalized diapers to be an environmental trade-off between the tree/landfill costs of disposables vs the energy/water/waste treatment costs of washing cloth.  I'll give you the car, although my E-85 SUV (which I do need for pulling heavy loads) gets 80 miles to the gallon of gas in the mixture.  But, IMO the shampoo thing is more about being cheap than environmentally conscious. ;) We do it, too! :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:55:04 pm by Reese »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 04:58:37 pm »
But, IMO the shampoo thing is more about being cheap than enviromentally conscious. ;) We do it, too! :)

Not so fast my friend!!! It's about 1 thing, efficiency!!!!! I can't waste anything, it's in my programming. It's the result of growing up 1 of 11 children. In many ways I hated the way I always wore clothes from my 4 older brothers or the many other ways my parents made ends meet but I am doomed to repeat the same philosophy (and my kids have bought in too). It took my wife a while to understand $$ has very little to do with it.

Reese

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 05:02:49 pm »
But, IMO the shampoo thing is more about being cheap than enviromentally conscious. ;) We do it, too! :)
Not so fast my friend!!! It's about 1 thing, efficiency!!!!! I can't waste anything, it's in my programming.
In my case, it is being cheap. ;D But, I guess that is being "efficient" with dollars!

Chris_H

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 05:06:02 pm »
It's the result of growing up 1 of 11 children.

No wonder you are so weird.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:06:37 pm by Chris_H »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:17:11 pm »
It's the result of growing up 1 of 11 children.

No wonder you are so weird.

That may be true relative to the outside world but I'm still considered to be the most normal one in my family!! 8-)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 05:17:52 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:17:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42