What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: comparing shock  (Read 2946 times)

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
comparing shock
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »
well i have these 2 products 1 is SeaKlear containing 45.2potassium peroxymomosulfate 54.8 inert ingredients and 4.7 active oxygen.The other brand is Spa care solutions containing 32.18 of the same as above,67.82 inert and 3.26 active oxygen.So which one is better?Also is it better to leave the cover off for awhile while shocking?Oh by the way useing bromine sanitizer.thx

Hot Tub Forum

comparing shock
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »

Reese

Re: comparing shock
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:19:07 pm »
Is this a trick question? :-?  Which one has the prettier bottle?

Obviously, the one with more active ingredient.  You will need less to do the same job.  Leave your cover off, to allow gases to escape.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:22:50 pm »
Depends on what you consider as better.  Both are capable of doing the job.  
You may have to add less of the one, which may be what some people think is better.
Others may be more concerned over which one costs more.  
Others still may just like one because the bottle is prettier.

Both will be equally effective, IMHO.
Brewman

Pisces

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »
What's the pH of each? One may contain pH buffers and one may not.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 02:28:16 pm »
What's the pH of each? One may contain pH buffers and one may not.

BINGO! The Sea-klear is pure MPS. It will have an effect on the ph and total alkalinity that will need to be adjusted with other chemicals.

Other non-chlorine shocks (I'm not familiar with Spa care solutions) are "buffered". e.g they  contain additives to offset, or balance out the effects pure MPS will have on the pH and TA.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

glastron

• no one doesnt like spatopia
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 12:57:37 am »
Anyway after useing the spa solutions for 90 days it really didnt seem to do the job.Today i switched to sea klear and noticed a huge differance in water quality.It looks much more crystal clear and no foam whatsoever.Yea it sent the ph way up so next time ill reduce the dosage and hopefully that'll help.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 08:21:47 am »
The problem with the sea klear is you have to adjust your alk and ph every time you shock. It brings the ph way down. It's a real pain.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:31:26 am »
The problem with the sea klear is you have to adjust your alk and ph every time you shock. It brings the ph way down. It's a real pain.
Actually, if your pH happens to be a little high, adding non-buffered MPS (any brand, Sea Klear being one) will do two jobs at once--shock and lower pH.  I normally measure pH before shocking...if it is good or a little low, I add some soda ash along with the unbuffered MPS and pH is fine afterwards...not really a pain at all.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 10:00:28 am »
For those of you who shock using buffered MPS do you find you need to adjust your PH weekly? Or is it pretty much in balance.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 11:40:11 am »
Anyway after useing the spa solutions for 90 days it really didnt seem to do the job.Today i switched to sea klear and noticed a huge differance in water quality.It looks much more crystal clear and no foam whatsoever.Yea it sent the ph way up so next time ill reduce the dosage and hopefully that'll help.

I too find the Seaklear very effective and buy it from Doc's site. (I can't find it locally) As Doc also pointed out, check your PH the next day. Sea Klear will drive it down.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 11:41:41 am »

Yes, if your PH is low anyway.  I recommend it for people who usually have high PH. Kills two birds with one stone.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 11:41:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42