What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clean/polish shell prior to initial filling?  (Read 7849 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Clean/polish shell prior to initial filling?
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:33:34 pm »
Want to get a feel for what steps I should take when my tub is delivered in a few weeks.  First and foremost, should I clean and/or polish the shell before filling it for the first time?  We're getting one of the "smooth" surfaces, not textured, so I want to do whatever it takes to keep it looking new.  I'm sure my dealer will give me some advice but want to get other opinions.

If I start asking too many questions please let me know!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:34:20 pm by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Clean/polish shell prior to initial filling?
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:33:34 pm »

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Re: Clean/polish shell prior to initial filling?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 06:48:42 pm »
Anyone? :)  I read in an online guide to clean/polish before filling, but I don't think the owner's manual mentions anything about it...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:56:49 pm »
Nah, just fill it!
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 07:09:32 pm »
The only thing I did was to run the tub 24 hours with a large dichlor amount to disinfect the tub for any factory yuckies. Most or all on here thought it was overkill.

I never clean or polish the tub under the water line. I do clean it when gunk gets on the tub over the water line. For that I use baking soda.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:20:25 pm by Vinny »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 07:12:33 pm »
is that a L.A Spa Concord model?
-SpaMan~

badval

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 07:40:26 pm »
I didn't do mine either.  All I did was wipe the inside down with a sponge & mild bleach solution (10:1 Clorox & water).  Had some sand/grit in the bottom.  Filled about 25%, drained, then wiped out what was left.  Then filled & added 2 TBSP dichlor, 1/2 bottle metal gone, & 1 packet of Spa Up (Ph out of tap was 7.1-7.2 range).  I added the chems while it was filling at about the 1/2 full point.  I didn't run tub until next day - waiting for electrician.  After electrical hooked up, let everything run for 10 min or so, then just let it heat with recirc pump running.  That night, Ph & Cl levels were normal & we started using it.

I had Corian counters installed in the kitchen last fall & polished the crap out of them the first 2 weeks.  It made absolutely no difference, so I figured it wouldn't in this case either.

Worst case, I can always do it at next refill if it really does make a difference.  & if it does make a difference, I'll see if it makes the Corian counters better! :)

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 07:42:44 pm »
Cleaning and polishing the shell should be a service provided from the manufacturere for the first fill. I'd consider taking care of those things when you do the next watr change. Enjoy your tub!
The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 08:55:20 pm »
Cleaning and polishing the shell should be a service provided from the manufacturere for the first fill. I'd consider taking care of those things when you do the next watr change. Enjoy your tub!

I have to ask why anyone would polish their tub?

My tub is a year old and it still looks as good as it did the first day. There are a couple of scratches in the seats but I doubt that polish would have done anything to prevent them from happening.

My thoughts and I could be wrong is that these are sealed from the acylic factory. The luster of the acylic is built in and unlike a painted surface there's not much to be done with it.

Also, unlike a painted surface any scratches can be addressed with a very fine grit sandpaper and I believe it won't be noticable. Now at this point if you wanted to polish the spot with a good wax either for acylic or car then it will seal up the repaired area.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 10:52:29 pm »
I applied a coat of Fast Gloss to mine while it was filling.  Didn't mess much with below the water line, but applied it all around the top.  The one thing I have noticed is it really repels the water and the dry water spots may wipe off easier than without it.  My dealer recommended re-applying it with every water change.

Jr

badval

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 11:53:56 pm »
My dealer recommended re-applying it with every water change.

Don't want to sound jaded, but is that because it really does something useful or so they can sell you more bottles of polish?

Does sliding the cover cause tiny abrasions over time that eventually dull the surface & the polish prevents that?  That's the only purpose I can think of & that's a stretch.

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 12:30:40 am »
badval,

Can't really speak to the total usefulness of it as we have had our tub just over a month.  The price was $10.99 for a 16 oz bottle, however, the dealer gave it to us as part of our start-up kit.  From what I used during my 1st and only application, I am certain the bottle will last at least 10 applications.
The Maxxus has a little different lift and cover than most tubs, so I don't see the cover causing any abrasions to the surface.
According to the bottle, Fast Gloss: protects, waterproofs and seals spa finish to prevent fading and oxidation.  Sounds about like wax for a spa.
The jury is still out as to whether I will buy another bottle when this one is gone, but for no more than what it cost and from what I have seen thus far, I most likely will.  Probably a couple of years from now.

Jr

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 04:35:14 am »

I have to ask why anyone would polish their tub? Cuz it looks sweet! It doesn't really stop scratches from happening and I don't think it makes a big difference for the speckled surfaces but the smooth shine of the top of the shell is simply pretty.

My tub is a year old and it still looks as good as it did the first day. There are a couple of scratches in the seats but I doubt that polish would have done anything to prevent them from happening. It wouldn't prevent it at all. Your right.

My thoughts and I could be wrong is that these are sealed from the acylic factory. The luster of the acylic is built in and unlike a painted surface there's not much to be done with it. The luster isin the color itself. Polish does help a little bit with making the water "bead up" but not much.

Also, unlike a painted surface any scratches can be addressed with a very fine grit sandpaper and I believe it won't be noticable. Now at this point if you wanted to polish the spot with a good wax either for acylic or car then it will seal up the repaired area.

I use "gel gloss" (cleaner and polish in one) on the spas in the showroom and polish them regularly. The smooth surfaced ones shine up nicely. To me, it's mostly about asthetics/feel/ and enjoying the color of your spa if you want to polish the shell. I find it very satisfying to look out along the top of a spa shell and not see even one water spot or speck of dust and the polish makes it "feel" smoother and gives a sleekness to it... with the bonus of a sense of pride in the spa and a small accomplishment. It's definately nice to here the comments on how good the spa looks when it's cared for like that. Some people can't wait to polish their car when they get it.  It gives them a chance to touch all the smooth shiney surfaces and enjoy their new "toy". ;)
The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 04:35:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42