What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New to ozone...  (Read 2425 times)

barshnik

New to ozone...
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:59:51 pm »
Had my old spa for 13 years, it was an el-cheapo but served me well.  I just added a tablespoon or 2 of chlorine granules twice a week, and rarely had any water problems.

My new Artesian Falcon has CD ozone, and I've got some questions:

1)  I can adjust how much of the day the ozone runs - it defaulted to 24 hours, but I've cut that in half, just because...  How much do you run yours?

2)  Can I continue using chlorine with the ozone, but maybe just less of it?

3)  The small book for the ozone unit says the 'chip' should be replaced once per year.  I haven't asked the dealer, I assume these should be available online, approx. what do these cost?

Thanks for your help,
John F
LV, NV

Hot Tub Forum

New to ozone...
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:59:51 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: New to ozone...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:22:57 pm »
You can cut the ozonator down to whatever you like. I had my unit on for 8 hours a day until recently when I made it 24/7 just to see if I can go longer than every other day adding dichlor. There is no difference except that maybe I can go 2 days instead of every other (things have been a little crazy here so I haven't been able to get a handle on the dates).

I use 1 teaspoon of dichlor per person up to 3 teaspoons in a 400 gallon tub. This gives me 1.5 to 4.5 PPM chlorine. As I said, I do need to add dichlor in the tub if I don't soak, the tub will get cloudy.

The chip probably lasts 9000 hours and if it's a Del should be available on line. I think I've seen various chips on line for $50 to $75. If yours is a Del, just type in Del CD chip in google or another search engine and something should pop up.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:05:45 am »
I have an 05 Opal. It has a CD ozonator. I've disconnected my ozonator. I've  had it disconnected for a few weeks now.

I've gone as long as 3 days without using my tub(without ozonator) since I've got it, and the water is cystal clear, never seen cloudy water since I've had it.

For filters I have one blue, and one red(for circ side)

I use vermonters method for dichlor treatment. I shock with sea klear mps once a week.

I saw no difference since I've disconnected it, so it will remain disconnected.

I figured, why spend extra electricity running ozonator(even if it's a small amount). Why suck cold air 24/7 into the tubing potentially making it less efficient? Why risk adding extra gasses into tub potentially shortening life span or pillows and cover?

I see no point in my situation and my usage.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:38:09 am »
Interesting replies.  I thought ozonators were no-brainers and should be used to the max, but that's not what I'm hearing here.  Any other opinions?

On a related note, my Optima is arriving soon and is coming with an ozonator.  At startup will it be configured to run 24/7 automatically?  Or is there an option in the control menu that I need to enable to turn it on?  How will I know it's working?  Look for small bubbles coming from the bottom?  How will I know when it's time to replace the "chip" (and what's a chip)?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:39:22 am by pg_rider »
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 12:08:44 pm »
The three of us have Artesians with circ pumps and we can control how long the ozone will run for. Sledjunkie actually pulled the plug on his but barshnik and I adjusted it up or down. I don't know if you can adjust it with Sundance.

How do you know it's working - you won't unless you smell it or you have bubbles coming out and open up your equipment bay where the ozone is and see it glowing (or whatever the indicator is for when it's on). The chip is the item in the ozonator that makes the ozone - CD uses sparks, UV's have lamps.

barshnik

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:48:49 pm »
Kind of wierd how the ozone programming works on the Artesians (mine is a 2005 floor model) - set it to 0 to 12 (0 being never on, 12 being always on), and set the time you want it to start it's cycle.  Well, now that I explain it, it isn't so wierd after all...

I set mine to '8', so the ozonator should run 16 hours following the start time I set.

I expected this to control the circulation pump as well, but apparantly it runs 24 hours regardless.  I'm going to head out with my ampmeter and measure the current on the circulation pump to get an idea what it is costing just for the 24 hour filtration...

Love the spa so far,

John F
LV, NV

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 02:12:04 pm »
It's based on 12 hours not 24 since it has 2 "clean" cycles. I have a 2005 and the circ pump never turns off. I've had it at 105 and the setting was 100 and the pump is still pumping.

I'd be interested to know what the current draw is, Artesian told me it's 0.75 amps. And hey while your at it could you run the pumps and see what the total current draw is ...

barshnik

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 03:37:12 pm »
Look at the new thread I started for current draw - your dealer wasn't too far off, but did fudge just a little...

Thanks for the clarification on the cycles - the manual doesn't say anything about the 'clean' cycles, so that explains why I've heard a pump turn on all by itself on occasion, eh?

John F

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »
That is actually the start of the clean cycle. all the pumps come on for 30 sec and clear out the lines.

The Island series which is what I have can be ordered without a circ pump and the clean cycles would start pump 1 to filter and turn ozone on after it ends the clearing cycle.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 04:49:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42