What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealers: Buy from Factory Guy at State Fair?  (Read 3855 times)

Utah

Dealers: Buy from Factory Guy at State Fair?
« on: September 09, 2006, 02:28:52 am »
Do local dealers care if someone buys from the factory guy at the state fair?

The local dealer has a booth/tent set up at the fair.  I went to visit and the owner was not in so the factory rep gave me the tour.

If I decide to buy from this manufacture, I would rather support the local dealer than the factory that is thousands of miles away.  Do dealers care if I buy from their staff or go ahead and buy from the factory rep that is there?  

The booth is operated by the local dealer and the factory rep said he was there to support the dealer.  The rep was promoting his product pretty hard and was really hoping I would put down a $500 deposit.  Can't blame the guy, that is his job but my wife and I make these types of decisions together.  But it got me thinking that he must stand to make a decent commission if he sells me.

Anyways, how does this work?  Does the dealer net the same if I work with the factory guy.  Will the service team treat me the same even if I didn't buy from the local sales guy but rather the factory rep?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Dealers: Buy from Factory Guy at State Fair?
« on: September 09, 2006, 02:28:52 am »

MarKee

Re: Dealers: Buy from Factory Guy at State Fair?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 03:00:14 am »
Usually in a situation like this the money goes to the local dealer and the factory rep would get an agreed upon commission from the local dealer.  You never know though, he may not be a factory rep, he could be a traveling salesperson that will be working to sell another spa brand 2 weeks from now at another state fair.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:59:31 pm »
Markee is right.

If you need time to think/ consult with your better-half, get a quote. They should honor it within a month after fair. I would.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

BIGPOPPA

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:50:10 pm »
MARKEE is correct............

Utah

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:42:11 pm »
Thanks.

So there would be no hurt feelings if a month ago one of the store employees chatted with me about the tub and then I end up buying the tub from the same dealer just a different person (factory rep)?  This guy definitely works at the factory.  He says they send him to 5-6 fairs a year to support their dealers.  Very knowledgable but I want to make sure the local guys are all happy.  They are the ones who will help me out in the middle of winter when something goes wrong!

Thanks

bwbski22

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:08:25 pm »
what brand and model spa are you looking at at the fair?

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 04:29:12 pm »
What you're asking about is exactly what we just did.  Initially saw a tub we wanted at the fair; talked to the regional sales guy who happened to be working the booth; went to the local store to wet test; at the end of the fair the regional guy came to my local store and wrote up the contract; tub should be here in a few weeks.  Have no idea how it's going to affect my relationship with the local store over the long-term.  I've talked to the store manager about general tub stuff and he doesn't seem to be holding a grudge so hopefully it's no big deal....
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Reese

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 05:20:57 pm »
Thanks.

So there would be no hurt feelings if a month ago one of the store employees chatted with me about the tub and then I end up buying the tub from the same dealer just a different person (factory rep)?... I want to make sure the local guys are all happy.  They are the ones who will help me out in the middle of winter when something goes wrong!
I'd just make sure all parties are aware of what is going on and let them work out "who gets what".   If it seems like the dealer is going to have a problem with it, don't buy the tub at all and keep looking!

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 07:31:12 pm »
Utah, in my experience, dealers hire these "factory reps" and pay them a commission just like they pay someone from their showroom. These salespeople generally have a higher closing ratio and do very well at shows. Also, most dealers don't have enough salespeople to cover the fair (or other event) and the showroom at the same time.  These people usually work for many different dealers all over the US.

If there's a special price at the fair, I'm positive the showroom would be offering the same sale if you'd like to buy it from the guy you spoke with previously. If you liked the Fair person better, buy it from them.

You'll be supporting the local dealer either way, but if you buy it at the show, the normal showroom sales guy wont get anything for his time he spent with you a month ago. Generally. This is all from my experience, so I'm not saying it's the way all dealers work their events and with their show teams.

Good luck with your spa shopping!

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 09:02:39 pm »
Since either person is more than likely paid commissions... I would purchase it from the person that will be providing you with care AFTER the sale (local dealer). Unless... you liked the Rep better. I would find out exactly how the Rep supports the dealer. When they make a sale, do they give credit to the dealer with commissions or do they give them a pat on the back and thank them for making their sale easier and pocket the profit? This could make a big difference.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 09:04:40 pm by Amanda_Panda »
The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 09:02:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42