What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Homemade cover lifter (pics)  (Read 12547 times)

Spiderman

Homemade cover lifter (pics)
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:31:16 pm »
Ok, since no one seems to have built their own cover lifter (because most everyone gets one when they buy their tub), I thought I'd show some pics of the one I made for around $23 yesterday.  It turned out pretty good I thought for the materials used.  I didn't get a cover lifter because we bought a Jetsetter and didn't think we needed one.  The dealer also didn't offer to throw one in as part of the deal.  I still don't think we need one, but I can definitely see the advantages.  So I guess this is what you would call a "Sea Monkey" cover lifter.  Right Chris??   ;)

It's made out of 1" PVC pipe which I spray painted a silver hammer finish with Krylon Fusion paint.  Worked pretty well.  I also inserted some wooden dowels and conduit in the PVC for extra support.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Homemade cover lifter (pics)
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:31:16 pm »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Re: Homemade cover lifter (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 09:11:58 am »
looks pretty good

how do you keep a strong wind from blowing it back on to the tub (or your head...ouch)?

Homemade steps?  They wouldn't throw in the steps either?

Having a coverlifter is a must IMHO
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 11:02:18 am »
How does it mount?

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:42:07 pm »

how do you keep a strong wind from blowing it back on to the tub (or your head...ouch)?

When open, it leans up against the deck.  

The Jetsetter is only 29" high so you don't need steps; actually I think it's potentially dangerous with steps for adults with the hot tub only being 29" high.  I threw some steps together, however, mainly for my soon to be 4 year daughter.  It helps her get in and out.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 04:48:27 pm »
I had one like that on my showroom floor many years ago - before HS started making lifts.

I had it set up just like you have, but with the base even farther away from the tub than you do.

It was a bit of work to open the cover, but I had it in our 'mood room' and I wanted to be able to walk around all four sides of the tub with the cover on the lift. It worked great for what I needed - I would open the lid first thing in the morning on Fridays and Saturdays and leave it open all day. Other days of the week I would play it by ear and open as needed.

Good job.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:15:33 pm »
might I suggest taking a peek at the following link for the "cover saver"? It looks like your cover when open rests on the seam, and the cover saver helps to support the weight, in turn helping to extend the longevity of the cover...

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover-saver.htm
RIP C-Rod

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:54:37 am »

When open, it leans up against the deck.  

The Jetsetter is only 29" high so you don't need steps; actually I think it's potentially dangerous with steps for adults with the hot tub only being 29" high.  I threw some steps together, however, mainly for my soon to be 4 year daughter.  It helps her get in and out.

Looks like if wind every did become an issue blowing the cover back towards the tub you could fix it with a chain or bungee cord hooked to the pipe and the lattice fence.

I'm with the tatooed one, consider the cover saver to help take the weight off the seam. Mine seems to work well.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:54:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42