What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical set-up questions  (Read 4940 times)

Styx555

Electrical set-up questions
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:30:38 am »
I will be contacting electricians soon to get quotes, however I am not sure exactly what to ask or what is needed. All I know is that I will need a 220 volt set-up and regardless of which tub I get, the box is provided. Can someone point me to a detailed descrition, preferable not too technical, showing what needs to be done to set up electrical. Also, what is the box provied called and how does it look. Finally, will any work need to be done inside the house?

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical set-up questions
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:30:38 am »

96SC

Re: Electrical set-up questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:36:13 am »
I can only speak for the 'will there be work done inside the house'.  That will depend if your main electrical panel is inside the house or not.  If it is, then yes, the electrician will have to connect the 220 line into the main box.  If the electrical panel is in the garage then they shouldn't have to get into the house.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:44:56 am »
These are all good questions.

What I'd do (and did) is contact an electrician that has experience installing electrical work for hot tubs.  Seems it's a bit cheaper (based on info I've read on this site) than hiring a general electrician.

See if your dealer can give you a couple of names.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:55:10 am »
Here is what I did.

Installed a 55amp GFI breaker (close to $100) in my main panel. Ran #6 wire from panel to a 60amp rated AC disconnect box which I mounted on the outside of my house. From disconnect box ran 4 THHN wires in a liquid tight flexable (direct burial) conduit, which I buried underground and ran to the tub.

Don't get a GFCI box for the outside, just use a disconnect. Let the breaker inside the main panel be the GFI.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:49:05 pm »
Check with your dealer.  He should know some electricians who have worked on hot tubs.  If you bought a 220V spa from Hot Spring or Caldera, you should have been given a subpanel that is GFCI protected.  They include that with all 220 spas.

Other than that, Sledjunkie gave you pretty good directions on do-it-yourself or knowing what to have an electrician do.

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:30:17 pm »
Here is what I did.

Installed a 55amp GFI breaker (close to $100) in my main panel. Ran #6 wire from panel to a 60amp rated AC disconnect box which I mounted on the outside of my house. From disconnect box ran 4 THHN wires in a liquid tight flexable (direct burial) conduit, which I buried underground and ran to the tub.

Don't get a GFCI box for the outside, just use a disconnect. Let the breaker inside the main panel be the GFI.

Sledjunkie, what is the reason for the disconnect box outside the house?  I am going to wire my Spa myself, but thought I could just go right from the GFI breaker to the Spa.  Is the disconnect box outside per code or something?

Steven-

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:41 pm »
By code there has to be a disconnect within 50' and within sight of the tub.

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:54:01 pm »
The key is "within sight of the tub."  That may mean you are only 10 feet away.  Make sure you check your local codes as well as national codes.  You also have to have the disconnect over 5 feet from the spa.  

The reason is in case of emergency, you can quickly shut the power down.  If your only breaker is in the garage or in a closet in the house, you probably can't get there quick enough if there is an emergency.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 01:54:13 pm »
Suggest you recheck the code, I believe the disconnect must be no more than 10' from the tub, and there are height req's. for the disconnect also.

badval

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 02:11:16 pm »
The electrician who just did my quote told me that to be "in code" the disconnect must be at least 5' away, but less than 10' away from the tub.  Couldn't be mounted at ground level or up very high either.

He said the 10' & line-of-sight was in case of an emergency anybody would know right away that that box kills power to the tub.  The 5' minimum was to prevent people from trying to operate the box from inside the tub.

He also said that since nobody would be coming behind him to inspect the work, he'd hook it up however I wanted as long as it was safe, but I figure I'd have to get it "in code" prior to selling the house someday, so may as well do it correctly now.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 02:26:47 pm »
Mine is close is around 4-5', just around the corner or spa. But I did everything myself so I need no inspection or permits or anything.

You want a disconnect so you can cut power when you(or anyone else) works on your tub.

I hit shut the power when I pull my filters out to clean them. I would hate to have to walk around the house into the basement every time I cleaned my filters.

I think I paid $12 for my 60 amp capable AC Disconnect at home depot, so I would get one.

The ground goes to the ground bar, the neutrals splice together, and the red and black go the correct terminals on each end of the switch.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 07:45:14 pm »
Codes vary by your region.  30 feet and within site here.
I installed a 60 breaker in my main panel.
Ran #6 NMD from the main panel to the GFI panel I got from the dealer.
Installed the GFI above my clothes dryer.
I then remember to test it monthly.
Ran the NMD to the disconnect outside.
Pulled NMWU underground through PVC conduit through a hole I drilled in the pad into the bottom of the tub mechanical compartment.
Nice and clean.
Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:03:23 am »
Whatever electricians you ask, just tell them you want a bid for spa wiring.
 No doubt they'll have to visit your site to see what may be needed.  You'd need to let them know where you want the spa to sit, they should be able to figure out the rest.  They'll also check your existing electrical situation to see of you need a service upgrade.  Older homes that have less than 100 amp service might need an upgrade to accomodate the spa.  That can add a lot of dollars to the project.
 Those with 100 amp or greater service will probably be ok, but your electrician would know for sure.

When I put in my spa wiring, I had to conform to the NEC for 2002, IIRC.
 That required a form of disconnect at least 5' from the spa water, no farther than 50' away, and within line of sight.  Also required by code, and enforced by my inspector was a 120V gfci protected outlet at least 10' from the spa water, but no farther than 20'.  If you spa has builit in GFI breakers or a built in shutoff- that can count for the external shutoff.

ALl depends on what NEC or variation is being enforced in your area.  Any qualified electrician would know.

Your spa needs GFCI protection- that can be in the spa itself for those brands that provide, it can be in a panel near the spa, or it can be in the service panel itself.  All are fine per NEC.  The advantage of a GFI shutoff near the spa is that service won't need to access the inside of your dwelling.  My GFI is inside, and I have a simple A/C pullbox for my outside disconnect.  The repair tech popped the GFI, and if nobody would have been home at the time, he'd have been SOL on powering the spa back up.
 Not really a huge deal, but something to consider.

Most jurisdictions require permits and inspections.  Make sure your electricians have that in their bid.  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 11:05:19 am by Brewman »
Brewman

still sore

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 11:49:05 am »
Anyone have a source for outside disconnect boxes that aren't as ugly as the standard gray ones? Anyplace I put one on the same floor with the spa will be an eyesore and I'm guessing in the basement isn't going to qualify for "line of sight" from the second floor.  ;D

Any idea on what the thought is requiring the 120 GFI outlet, assuming a 220 spa? Just curious.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 03:23:33 pm »
By having the GFCI outside as opposed to the main panel, your risking a potential fire situation down the road.

Think about it, you will still have a hot(live) feed sitting inside the box attached to the outside of the house if there is every a problem with corrosion, rust.

If the GFCI is in the inside the main panel and the circuit trips,etc , your live hot feed is sitting in your panel, nice and dry. No hot wires anywhere beyond the main panel.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 03:23:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42