What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Frustrated/I hate MPS!!  (Read 7411 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Frustrated/I hate MPS!!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 11:02:57 am »
After each use or last use of the day add 2-3 Tbsp. Chlor
Dude,
With all due respect to your knowledge as a dealer for over <please insert number here> years, your advice is spot on until this quoted statement.  I use Doc's AllClear dichlor which has 62% available chlorine.  Here's a statement of it's strength:  "One tenth oz. (1/2 tsp.) per 500 gallons of water gives 1ppm and 1 level tbsp. Gives 6ppm of chlorine."  Read the whole label here.  So, if I had a 500 gal spa (mine is 450), you're suggesting I add 12-18 ppm after every soak?  That's like shocking (actually over-shocking) after each soak--not recommended.  You talk like a chlorine residual needs to be kept in order to maintain fresh water.  This is certainly true with bromine but, unlike bromine, chlorine needs no residual to be effective.  Raise the ppm from 3-5...2 teaspoons is plenty (maybe 3 after Chas' brother-in-law jumps in  ;)) and your water will be fresh as a daisy...at least that's how mine has been using this routine for 2+ years.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 11:02:57 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 08:11:20 pm »
In addition to Vermonter's system, I recommend following Chas' law:

All new tub owners should change the water at about the end of 30 days. That is a one-time thing, from then on four months is a good interval.

But the amount of oil and other junk you give off is at a peak during the first few weeks of spa ownership. Also, the amazing amount of testing and adjusting new owners typically do in the first several weeks would make a mess out of any spa.

Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your spa, give it a try.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spiderman

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
Well I just said "the heck with it" and changed the water yesterday morning.  The H2O is back to crystal clear and I'm sticking with dichlor.   Only took a couple hours to heat the water back up to 100 F   :)    Thanks for the replies.  I didn't really want to keep that "zombie" water anyways.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of &nbsp;an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 08:50:05 am »
I'm a little late in joining in Spiderman, but I was just about to recommend following Chas' law about newbies changing their first tub of water after 30 days (glad to see you followed this sound advice).

I'm on the dichlor bandwagon.  I pretty much only use dichlor.  I have a bottle of that non-chlorine shock chemical that I'll use once a month, but for the most part I use dichlor as a daily sanitizer and for my weekly shock.

I'll also recommend you keep those filters cleaned.  I'm amazed at how dingy they can get.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 08:12:11 am »
Dude,
With all due respect to your knowledge as a dealer for over <please insert number here> years, your advice is spot on until this quoted statement.  I use Doc's AllClear dichlor which has 62% available chlorine.  Here's a statement of it's strength:  "One tenth oz. (1/2 tsp.) per 500 gallons of water gives 1ppm and 1 level tbsp. Gives 6ppm of chlorine."  Read the whole label here.  So, if I had a 500 gal spa (mine is 450), you're suggesting I add 12-18 ppm after every soak?  That's like shocking (actually over-shocking) after each soak--not recommended.  You talk like a chlorine residual needs to be kept in order to maintain fresh water.  This is certainly true with bromine but, unlike bromine, chlorine needs no residual to be effective.  Raise the ppm from 3-5...2 teaspoons is plenty (maybe 3 after Chas' brother-in-law jumps in  ;)) and your water will be fresh as a daisy...at least that's how mine has been using this routine for 2+ years.

How can you tell how much free chlorine you are going to have without knowing how much is going to be used up?  I am assuming that the dosages on the bottle are going into clean, fresh water.  Depending on body chemistry, people may need to add a couple Tbsps of dichlor.  

The thing I like about Wisoki's suggestion is that it pretty much guarantees a good level of chlorine when you are done.  I would still add on that test strips/test kits should be used to make sure.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »
Well my wife and I went to use the tub tonight and when we opened the cover, the water was very cloudy and stunk like dead bodies!!  I checked and no one was laying dead on the bottom, so I knew it was the water  ;)    For the first couple of weeks with the tub, I followed Hot Spring's instructions and was using MPS; 1 TBS after each use and shocking with 1 1/2 tsp of dichlor once/week.  About two weeks ago I noticed the water was starting to get a little cloudy.  I read some posts here and most seem to be using dichlor as their daily sanitizer, so I thought I'd try that.  I used dichlor for a couple of days and the water cleared up  :)    Two days ago, I went back to the MPS and now I have a cesspool (sp?)  I shocked the crap out of it with dichlor tonight and I am hoping for the best.  What else should I do to bring the water back to usable again?  Also, after each time I shock it, I get nasty brown gunk around the tub where it foams up.   Is this normal??

Spidey - Your doing it 100% backwards!  It's a few teaspoons AFTER every soak and MPS once a week (although the MPS is not really needed).  I've had my tub over 4 years now and this method works fine. No need for MPS.   Sounds like your process is simply funding your dealers next car... LOL.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spiderman

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 03:11:29 pm »

Spidey - Your doing it 100% backwards!  It's a few teaspoons AFTER every soak and MPS once a week (although the MPS is not really needed).  I've had my tub over 4 years now and this method works fine. No need for MPS.   Sounds like your process is simply funding your dealers next car... LOL.

The way I described it is how Hot Spring tells you to do it, but I think it's a bunch of crap.  Upon further reading, I read the info/instruction booklet with my N2 cartridge and it says to add 1 TBS MPS before and after each use!!  My dealer said to add 1 TBS after each use, not both before and after.  At that pace, I'd be going through MPS like mad!!  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

georgiapeach

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 08:23:42 am »
I have a Grandee and have used the system that I was told to use by my dealer......1 T. MPS per person about 10 minutes before entering hot tub (there are times I do it afterwards and let the clean cycle run the 10 minutes)....Every Saturday I add a half capful of Dichlor (about 2 T.), an ounce of Stain and Scale Control and rinse my filters if needed.  I haven't had a problem with this at all.

Peachy

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 01:16:17 pm »
Dude,

How can you tell how much free chlorine you are going to have without knowing how much is going to be used up?  I am assuming that the dosages on the bottle are going into clean, fresh water.  Depending on body chemistry, people may need to add a couple Tbsps of dichlor.  

The thing I like about Wisoki's suggestion is that it pretty much guarantees a good level of chlorine when you are done.  I would still add on that test strips/test kits should be used to make sure.
To answer your question, I assume that most of it will be used up by the next time I soak...which, for my usage, is the next day or day after that.  According to Northman's FAQ found here, bringing the ppm up between 1-3 ppm (I feel it is better to shoot for 3-5 ppm) for 2 hours will take care of all the nasties.  I don't think either Northman or Vermonter feel that 1-3 ppm has to be maintained constantly.  Basically, they feel that a thorough mixing of dichlor in the tub resulting in chlorine readings not to be less than 1-3 (once again, I like 3-5) for 2 hours gets the job done and keeps the tub clean--clean enough to soak daily or maybe every other day without addition of dichlor.  I would add dichlor every other day if no soaks were taken...but not enough to bring it up to 12-18 ppm.

Do you really think 12-18 ppm is necessary after each soak?  I'm sorry but I just don't think that much chlorine is needed unless maybe the Clampet's come for a visit and bring some of their Chatooga River raftin', banjo playin' friends...you know how dirty Jethro and Ellie Mae get after 'rasslin' with the critters...

Sorry, beg to differ but 3-5 ppm for 2 hours will get the job done.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 01:49:34 pm »
1 Tbsp. does not neccesarily (?sp) mean 6 ppm.  The point I am trying to get at is that when you get out of your spa, there is much more bacteria in there than before you got in.  You never know exactly how much and what type of bacteria, so you never know exactly how much chlorine it will take to knock the bacteria down to a safe level and then produce 3-5ppm free chlorine residual.  After a while, you will start to notice that you use the same amount of chlorine each time, but that differs by the individuals using the spa.  

I definitely agree with you on the 3-5ppm 2 hours after you add it.  But to say that 1 Tbsp. of dichlor per 500 gallons will definitely equal 6ppm is not correct.  That is why they make test strips.  If you are new to owning a spa, it will be beneficial to start with a higher amount of chlorine and work your way down.  

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 01:57:34 pm »
Two years now following the freshwater system as explained by my dealer without a complaint.  

N2 and ozone

Shock with 3 tablespoons of dichlor once a week with S2 oz. scale and stain the next day.

2 tablespoons of MPS before each use.

filters cleaned monthly or as needed in the dishwasher.

The only other thing I add is Ph- whenever I get a chance since my Ph and TA are always high.

The closest that I have had to a water problem was the one time I forgot to use the freshwater in-line filter on a refill (every 4 months).  Had to clean the filters every couple of weeks for a while.

BTW I never measure chlorine level since it's alway 0 except after a shock.

Not that you should change if it works for you, but if you got rid of that NatureS thingy you would have same results and save money.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Reese

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:55 pm »
[Not that you should change if it works for you, but if you got rid of that NatureS thingy you would have same results and save money.
I'm not a big fan of N2 with MPS, because I believe that a sanitizer (dichlor, bromine, etc) should be applied with each use.  Nonetheless, IMO dropping the N2 and using MPS with only weekly applications of dichlor would be risky.  Most of the week, they would be operating with no sanitizer in the tub. :o  At least with N2 you are slowing the bacteria down until next dichlor shock.

Now if you would have suggested dropping the N2, using dichlor with each use, and MPS weekly....I could support that as a cost saving measure -- even though I personally use N2 as a supplement to dichlor. :)  

p.s.  tonyp, I'm surprised your pH is high with regular applications of MPS.  Are you balancing the water at fill-up?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42