What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Insulation?????  (Read 14126 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Insulation?????
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 08:58:06 am »
The best thing about full foam is that it holds all the plumbing in place. Fill a 2" line with water and its heavy. You can not expect a glue joint to hold it for 10 years or more.
The best thing about dead air insulation is that it keeps coffee warm in your thermas. I think it is impossible to have dead air in a spa cabinet.

Nope. A thermos is a vacuum.

Thermal pane windows are filled with gas and multple panes of glass are  coated to reflect heat.

The air space in a Theramal Tub is heated from the heat off the pumps,  and if the air space is equal to or greater than the water temp, no heat loss occurs (as heat transfers from hot to cold) from the water to the air space.   The trick with a successful TP is maintaining the temperature in the cabinet however, no system is perfect.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 08:58:06 am »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 10:17:55 am »
Dual pane windows are the most ridiculous analogy possible to use. A single sheet of glass is something like R-1. Dual panes are something like R-4. So you get double the insulation value of just the glass. What's the insulation value of a wall? More than R-12. R-12 is just the insulation (minimum) and doesn't take into consideration siding or sheet rock.

That was the point. ;)
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 10:27:59 am »

T.P. Cooter the Cooter sez:

"Ya'lls is ignurnt if'n you don't think air beez the best insoolator!!!  Fool Foam is jest a cheeper way to build a hot tub.  De Thermal Pain beez much more labor intensitive.  Lookie here....."

"Yooz got to cut all de insoolatin' reflective panels in a percise manner to create an airtight seal 'round de perimeteeter.  Dat costests munny!  Any ol' peckerwood can spray foam, which is de Debil's seed."  
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

dkersten

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 10:59:22 am »
The best thing about full foam is that it holds all the plumbing in place. Fill a 2" line with water and its heavy. You can not expect a glue joint to hold it for 10 years or more.
The best thing about dead air insulation is that it keeps coffee warm in your thermas. I think it is impossible to have dead air in a spa cabinet.
Funny thing that popped into my head when I was shopping for my hot tub a few weeks ago.. talking to the local arctic salesperson, his pitch actually included how when he goes to deliver the hot tub and "it starts to leak because the jets came loose from moving it from the factory to the store then to the customer" the open inside allows you to easily get in and tighten the jets back up.

I sure hope my tiger river doesnt leak from jets coming loose during transportation when it gets delivered..  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 11:13:04 am »
That's rather interesting. I don't think I've EVER heard of jets coming lose during transportation. Unions at the equipment yes, but never, what is supposed to be a sealed fitting.....

Anyone here own an inground swimming pool? Their plumbing is buried in dirt, frequently under concrete. Must be a nightmare to fix a leak. How often have you had a leak and how difficult was it to repair?

Funny thing that popped into my head when I was shopping for my hot tub a few weeks ago.. talking to the local arctic salesperson, his pitch actually included how when he goes to deliver the hot tub and "it starts to leak because the jets came loose from moving it from the factory to the store then to the customer" the open inside allows you to easily get in and tighten the jets back up.

I sure hope my tiger river doesnt leak from jets coming loose during transportation when it gets delivered..  
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 11:21:16 am »
That's rather interesting. I don't think I've EVER heard of jets coming lose during transportation. Unions at the equipment yes, but never, what is supposed to be a sealed fitting.....

Anyone here own an inground swimming pool? Their plumbing is buried in dirt, frequently under concrete. Must be a nightmare to fix a leak. How often have you had a leak and how difficult was it to repair?

My dad had to fix a leak in his inground pool plumbing At the time he had the pool for at least 20 years old. . Yes, it's a pain to cut through and then patch the cement. He had a hard time finding a tech to do it (it was July, the peak of pool season) and he paid through the nose for it.   At 25 years he replaced the liner.  Now,  that was exspensive.

Don't worry about your Tiger River.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:42:27 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

dkersten

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 03:06:54 pm »

My dad had to fix a leak in his inground pool plumbing At the time he had the pool for at least 20 years old. . Yes, it's a pain to cut through and then patch the cement. He had a hard time finding a tech to do it (it was July, the peak of pool season) and he paid through the nose for it.   At 25 years he replaced the liner.  Now,  that was exspensive.

Don't worry about your Tiger River.

ouch..

Im not worried about my new tub, I was kinda jokin around with that comment.. when a salesperson tells you as part of his pitch that the lack of insulation is good because the jets might leak and it is easier to fix, I have to laugh.. This guy claimed he was the biggest arctic dealer in north dakota and montana..  Oh, and the other part of the pitch I particularly found amusing was when he said that delivery was easy.. he would haul it to my house and all I needed was a couple friends with strong backs and a six pack of beer and it woud be easy to set up.  I had to fight the urge not to run when I left that place.  

I have every confidence in the HotSpring dealer I purchased the Tiger River from.  Now if I can just get the fence guys to come put up the fence so that I can get the concrete guy to pour the slab so I can USE my new hottub..  :-/

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 03:29:23 pm »
Anyone have the link from the state of California and energy consumption codes to be written?  It clearly states that in order to pass their upcoming energy requirements spas will have to 1.  Insulate better (more foam) 2. Spec in better covers with more foam density, better fit etc. 3.  Use more energy efficient pumps.

Basic summary of 17 page document.

hymbaw

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 03:44:53 pm »
Where is the only place you see an air pocket (besides some spas) for insulation? The only one I can think of is a window. I guess the foam would ruin the view. That should tell you something.

Congrats! You have successfully used common sense in this debate.

Some more info for the "dead air" proponents

Up to 4" of air = R value of 1
sprayed in foam = R value of 6.25 PER INCH

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 04:27:48 pm »
There has to be no transfer of air through dead air space in order for it to insulate.  A draft blows through the air space and any benefit is gone.  Can a spa cabinet be completely sealed?  When an insulated window starts leaking air you replace it.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 04:30:42 pm »
Seems this poor horse will never die......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 04:39:04 pm »
Convection also defeats any insulation qualities of "dead air space", and and pocket of air over 1/2" will have convection currents.

Spas though, aren't basing this on dead air space. Rather they're claiming that heat that would normally be wasted is being used to heat the air space to a temperature above the temp of the spa.

There has to be no transfer of air through dead air space in order for it to insulate.  A draft blows through the air space and any benefit is gone.  Can a spa cabinet be completely sealed?  When an insulated window starts leaking air you replace it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dkersten

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 05:08:07 pm »
The same guy that pitched the whole air space insulation thing on the arctics also told me that if it was fully insulated then when the ground was cold it would make the insulation cold and the hot water in the plumbing would have to heat the insulation as well as the tub.. I suppose if I had not taken 2 years of physics at the university I might actually believe that..

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 05:39:44 pm »
Convection also defeats any insulation qualities of "dead air space", and and pocket of air over 1/2" will have convection currents.
Spas though, aren't basing this on dead air space. Rather they're claiming that heat that would normally be wasted is being used to heat the air space to a temperature above the temp of the spa.

For me it's the 16-20 hours of every single day that the heat source required to make the insulation method work, is gone?? But during the 4-8 hours a day the heat source is active the insulation method used works good enough to make it energy competitive with a fully foamed tub....cool.
Retired

Vanguard

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 12:55:13 am »
The same guy that pitched the whole air space insulation thing on the arctics also told me that if it was fully insulated then when the ground was cold it would make the insulation cold and the hot water in the plumbing would have to heat the insulation as well as the tub.. I suppose if I had not taken 2 years of physics at the university I might actually believe that..

Ouch!  The Coke that just sprayed out of my nose hurt!  I'm still laughing.  That has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in this debate.  Glad you had Physics so you didn't have to believe that.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 12:55:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42